Help identifying an electronics part, please.

Fox5

Veteran
Hey, the part (well, actually two parts) in the picture were pulled from a TV because they burnt out. I'd like to try and replace them, but I know nothing about them. They look similar, though the circuit diagram on the circuit board identifies the big one as an iron core transformer or a saturable reactor, the symbols are similar, (perhaps a mutual transformer, meaning it doesn't affect voltage?), and the little one as an inductor.
Any idea where I could even being looking for replacements? I've tried searching online electronics websites, but I can't find any transformers or inductors that even look the same, any words I could throw in to narrow the searches perhaps?

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 37
You need to post a better picture. I can't tell anything at all. The bigger one looks like a capacitor, but I really can't tell.

camera-flash-5.jpg

I don't think it's a capacitor. Besides that the circuit board doesn't identify it as one, it also does not have any ratings on it (which would be typical for a capacitor) and it has a different shape.
I cut off the rubber sheathing to look inside, it consists of two magnets on top, then the part that bows inward is two metal coils wound around each other (I'm assuming they were supposed to be insulated from each other, but the insulation must have burned away) and there may be a magnet underneath the coil where it widens out again, or it may be a nonmagnetic base.

I'll see if I can get a better picture though.

And a picture of where it goes on the circuit board (close up) would be helpful.

They both look like capacitors to me, or miniture UFOs, kinda hard to tell the difference considering how fuzzy the photo is. ;)

kyleb said:
They both look like capacitors to me, or miniture UFOs, kinda hard to tell the difference considering how fuzzy the photo is. ;)
what he said ;)
I cant see it properly either, its making my eyes hurt.
Try farnell electronics they will have it for sure and another electronics supplier forgot its name umm it irvine electronics or something

Edit:
It certainly looks like this:
http://uk.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42421929.jpg
This is an inductor ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back