Help, I got an interview!!!

infinity4

Veteran
So, I got my first ever interview for an undergraduate course... at King's College London in about a month's time.

I done my research of Uni, looked at some typical questions and so on, I thought I would ask for any advice for anything from those's experiences of interviews. ie I am finding it hard understanding how to make good first impression. Maybe firm handshake and smile would do?

Cheers :smile:

" interview for an undergraduate course"

Interview for an undergraduate course?

Its not ringing any bells here in the US. Could you explain what's going on?

It'd be really helpful if we knew which subject you're aiming for. E.g. Medicine: How do you think accupuncture works? Or how do you measure the amount of water contained within a chicken without destroying it? etc. ... (Both are questions a friend of mine actually got when applying for medicine,)

" interview for an undergraduate course"

Interview for an undergraduate course?

Its not ringing any bells here in the US. Could you explain what's going on?

He's applying for a place on course to study dentistry at University (which, if he gets in is a license to print money, by the way ;)).

The way it works in the UK is that students have interviews for undergraduate courses before they sit their final A-level exams (at 18 years). After the interview, the University may offer a place on the course which is dependent on the results the student achieves in his/her subsequent exams. Before sitting their final A-level exams, students have estimated grades from their teachers and interviews are awarded depending on these grades and other factors.

If you then achieve the grades in the exams, you can then take up the place on the course.

He's applying for a place on course to study dentistry at University (which, if he gets in is a license to print money, by the way ;)).

The way it works in the UK is that students have interviews for undergraduate courses before they sit their final A-level exams (at 18 years). After the interview, the University may offer a place on the course which is dependent on the results the student achieves in his/her subsequent exams. Before sitting their final A-level exams, students have estimated grades from their teachers and interviews are awarded depending on these grades and other factors.

If you then achieve the grades in the exams, you can then take up the place on the course.

Ah, I see. In the US, dentistry, and med school (and lawyer school) are all post graduate degrees which you don't apply for until near the end of your undergraduate (4 year college) years.

Ah, I see. In the US, dentistry, and med school (and lawyer school) are all post graduate degrees which you don't apply for until near the end of your undergraduate (4 year college) years.
So what course do you select for your undergraduate degree if you're aiming to eventually study medicine? :???:

So what course do you select for your undergraduate degree if you're aiming to eventually study medicine? :???:
There are degrees in pre-med.

But many doctors come from biology, chemistry, or even engineering backgrounds, and they take courses that are useful towards medicine.

I applied for 5 year course dentistry :smile:

Well it wasn't much off then, was I? Teeth, tits all the same. :p

Generally, they probably ask you a few questions to find out something about your motivation, aims etc. A maybe a little problem gets tossed in as well. Plus a bit of out of the box thinking. A few questions to find out how you're handling stress etc.
IMO Those are the basic ingredients of the usual interview.

Since you can't prepare for the out of box problems, make sure you have clear ideas about the motivation part. Also try to think about the basic set of skills required in the dentistry course, those might come up in a few questions. Also watch your body language during the interview (posture, etc.) and keep eye contact (that doesn't mean you have to stare your interview partners down, though :p). And most of all - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy FTW - Don't Panic!

A friend of a friend who is a dentist (in his early 30s) now owns a helicopter and seems to spend half his time holidaying in exotic locations. Dentists are so much in demand here in the UK, it's a license to print money, I tells ya!

Oddly enough, a friend of mine at University had was offered a place to take up Dentistry but didn't get the required grades - instead he was offered, and took a degree in Fuel Science! A slightly different career path to what he originally anticipated...

Why do UK dentists make so much money when the people there have notoriously poor teeth?

/ducks out before he's tar and feathered...

i'll have you know that both of my teeth are in great condition :D

Actually peoples teeth are poor because the dentists charge so much many cant afford to go
there is a ferrari f430 parked outside my nearest dentist

I just had my first interview at Queen Mary UL. Questions were very straightforward (most of them I revised thoroughly) but I am gutted that I didn't answer as good as I should have. At times I just couldn't expand on everything long enough as I wished. Seems everything that I revised went out of the window!!!

The tour was good though, and if I get an offer (Probably an 'A' and a 'B' grade because I finished my maths exams very early) I would seriously consider the place. People were very friendly and it was very small school so you know well each other!

Especially the fact that there are only five places for the course I wouldn't put much hopes in, but now I need to concentrate for KCL one on coming Monday. :cry:

I finally heard from King's today. I got put on a waiting list.

No hopes now ;) Waiting list is just a sympathising word for rejection to me.

Back