HDR Gaming

That's where our opinion differs. I don't think HEVC is a bad codec per se & diabolize it.

The tech is fine. The licensing sucks.

HEVC is supported today in HW in many appliances. Today, you don't have youtube HDR in iphones, a big market, and many TV, like LG.
Again, the pragmatic option was to keep supporting the current codec, which has a limited shelf life anyway. HEVC replaced H264 which itself replaced H262 aka MPEG-2.
Contrary to Flash, HEVC obsolescence is planned, it won't be competitive against the next generation video codec & industries have chosen at last to get rid of MPEG & go patentless with AV1
VP9 is an unecessary distraction from Google cutting users from content where they can support both

It's their (Google) service and they don't want to have anything to do with HEVC, which to me is perfectly understandable. And, technically, VP9 was released first. For Google there wasn't ever an AVC to HEVC transition. They went from AVC to VP9.

Booted up Recore after the 1x update. My eyes! You need sunglasses for the default settings and my monitor is not even that bright :)

For anyone who’s been wondering (I was):

- Rise of the Tomb Raider has not received an HDR patch on PS4/Pro, as many of us assumed it would after the X released. Extremely disappointed to say the least.

- Wolfenstein 2 does not support HDR as of today at least.

- Rise of the Tomb Raider has not received an HDR patch on PS4/Pro, as many of us assumed it would after the X released. Extremely disappointed to say the least.

HDR is possible on all PS4s and there are significantly more of them. The only reasons I could think of for Xbox to be getting more HDR support from 3rd parties is either MS actively engaging with them to get it or PC HDR support being easier to port to Xbox. Otherwise, WTF?

Is there anything like the "Insects" demo for PC?
I would love to put that app, or similar on the office machine with a Quadro and attached to the Sony BVM display!
I was hoping that the indests demo might be avilable for the pc via xbox marketplace, but it looks like ti aint there :(

Are there any similar good 4K / HDR demo's available?

The HDR in ROTTR is shit house, tried it on my Z and there's just so much overblown highlights, very unnatural compared to something like FFXV or UC4. Of all the HDR games I tried on the X including Gears 4, AssCreed Origins, COD WWII and BF2, this is the worst implementation of HDR by far. Yeah I can go as far to say the HDR is broken in this TR.
Also it's very strange that it's not patched on the PS4. Despite its current broken state, having HDR exclusivity without technical limitation is the worst kind of business model.

Just hooked my PS4 slim up to my new LG E7 and Horizon Zero Dawn sure looks nice in HDR. Not sure why @RenegadeRocks thinks it only applies HDR noticeably in extremely bright areas - I found the difference between the image with HDR on and off quite striking; pretty much anywhere in the game (so far).

The HDR in ROTTR is shit house, tried it on my Z and there's just so much overblown highlights, very unnatural compared to something like FFXV or UC4. Of all the HDR games I tried on the X including Gears 4, AssCreed Origins, COD WWII and BF2, this is the worst implementation of HDR by far. Yeah I can go as far to say the HDR is broken in this TR.
Also it's very strange that it's not patched on the PS4. Despite its current broken state, having HDR exclusivity without technical limitation is the worst kind of business model.

Agreed, ROTR looks broken HDR wise. It's slightly too dark with blinding highlights, no mediums, and the settings are weird. If I really trust their brightness & HDR settings, I need to put both very low and it looks even more crushed.
For comparison Uncharted 4 is really beautiful, a soothing picture with highlights here & there. The night sequences on the first chapter are lovely.
Another comparison, RE7 has understandable settings, I set HDR brightness to 1100 nits which look approximately correct, and the results are also nice.
About the patch missing on PS4 & PC, the xbox one x enhanced version was done by an external studio, Nixxes, so who paid for this patch ? Rotr was already one year late on PS4...

Now a slightly offtopic question, but is there a way to playback youtube HDR on pc, ps4 or xbox ? It looks like it's only supported on chromecast, samsung tvs & some bluray players.

Agreed, ROTR looks broken HDR wise. It's slightly too dark with blinding highlights, no mediums, and the settings are weird. If I really trust their brightness & HDR settings, I need to put both very low and it looks even more crushed.
For comparison Uncharted 4 is really beautiful, a soothing picture with highlights here & there. The night sequences on the first chapter are lovely.
Another comparison, RE7 has understandable settings, I set HDR brightness to 1100 nits which look approximately correct, and the results are also nice.
About the patch missing on PS4 & PC, the xbox one x enhanced version was done by an external studio, Nixxes, so who paid for this patch ? Rotr was already one year late on PS4...

Now a slightly offtopic question, but is there a way to playback youtube HDR on pc, ps4 or xbox ? It looks like it's only supported on chromecast, samsung tvs & some bluray players.
if you have the LG oleds from this year, they just issued a firmware that fixes youtube HDR - looks amazing now

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I don't think you can even watch YouTube at 4k on the consoles let alone with HDR :(

Ou have to go to third party apps. MyTube beta on Xbox now unlocks 4k and 1440p apparently.

Official YouTube app on PS4 Pro added 4K support quite a while ago afaik and there is a special VR version too. Initially it didn’t seem to support 3D, only panning, but recently I noticed there were some 180 videos that worked in VR and 3D.

I don’t know if it supports HDR yet though.

Destiny 2 has working HDR now on Ps4 Pro. You need to activate it under brightness settings.
I'm a little bit disappointed, it's not glorious like some other HDR games, I find it slightly subdued, and there are no HDR settings to tweak like max nits.

Destiny 2 has working HDR now on Ps4 Pro. You need to activate it under brightness settings.
I'm a little bit disappointed, it's not glorious like some other HDR games, I find it slightly subdued, and there are no HDR settings to tweak like max nits.

Yep. It’s subtle even on my ZD9. But in their defence, and my eyes defence, I think that’s a good thing.

The HDR adds a certain layer of depth to the colours, which looked great before but now look more ‘on point’ and less flat - the sky especially looks incredible now - and honestly I wouldn’t want to burn a hole in my brain with the continuous barrage of flashes if they were outputting at full brightness on my set.

Back