HDD clicking! but dont know which one!

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
eek! a week or two ago one of my HDD slicked a few times. I dont know which one it is that was clicking... i got a new one to back everything up on... but i dont know which one to back up! Anyone know if there's a diagnostic i can run to check?

RussSchultz said:
Make sure you start with the boot drive, of course.
Of course.
yep.gif

Mind, it doesn't really matter if you crash the bejeebus out of the system...we're just looking for the ticking drive.

You sure it's the drive? Have you seen any unusual people/activities around your PC lately.... :?

well see thats the thing... i did pull the power to them independantly... cant get either one to click now...

I have one that is clicking insanely it is a 18gb WD from 1998 and it seems to have intese problems, but I ran SMART test and it says eveything is "peachy" although the drive is horrendously slow and sounds like there are loose hunks of metal floating around in it... ( I am currently trying to buy a $50 250GB hard drive, but it isn't working out since the store is out of stock and so forth :p )

I had an original IBM AT on my desk once, and it's harddisk created so much noise and vibrations, that I was sometimes afraid it would slide off the desk by itself. :D

Mechanical things just make noise. Nothing wrong with that by itself.

Back