HD7770 - terrible fillrate?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Entropy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Quite possible, yes. And frankly, if true, a good idea! Could prevent some goddamn leakers from making fools out of themselves.

2. Entropy

Veteran

Thanks Dave. I had already found those and saw no difference, but wasn't taking pen and paper notes. Interesting Carsten, that you've seen the same issues, it fits with Futuremark results.
    Rather than doing the reasonable thing and try to returen the card, I'm currently installing Windows7 on a fresh drive, and will repurchase 3DMark I guess (I've long since lost whatever info was needed to validate my ownership), and resume testing. My wife already hates me for spending the weekend like this, so I might as well try to gain some further insight. :)

@Davros - no, it's a photo film scanner. Have à decades long interest in photography and audio/binaural. I just moved some 200-300 kilos worth of negatives/slides and prints. Straight to the basement, most of it, I fear, but preserving my grandfathers century old negatives is à legacy I won't let fall to the way side, and have to act on before my mother dies. She's the last who may be able to provide context.

3. Davros

Legend

Off topic: Entropy dont suppose a realtime binaural encoder that I could use with games exists
    (realtime holophonics is the holy grail of game audio imho)

4. Entropy

Veteran

Update.
    Under Win7-64, 12.3 driver package (same as under xp), 3DMark06 (repurchased ;)) - everything performs as expected, (with twice the fillrate I got under XP).
    I will disconnect the Win7 disk, and reconnect the old disks for a more detailed comparison, and maybe some new tests. I'd like to better understand what is going on under XP, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

5. Davros

Legend

just a thought according to the benchmarks I posted the 7700 series is unusual in that unlike other cards they perform better in dx11 than dx9. Maybe thats a clue

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

if it's connected to USB, you should get it to work with XP in virtualbox, using USB passthrough (slightly tricky to set up but works after that).
    you can disable every service and program in XP, use the scanner to write files on a shared folder (another feature from the "non free" edition or extension of virtualbox) so a VM with 256MB ram and no network access would be enough.

got a webcam working this way, just to take one picture of myself :razz:

7. Entropy

Veteran

It's an XP-driver problem. :(

Update #2.
    Summary: Terrible performance under XP. No driver update from AMD since 8.95 that ships on packaged CD. Result reinforced by actual benchmarking results by other users, and ASUS's warning.

Under Windows XP, I noticed that trying to use the 32-bit equivalent to the 64-bit Catalyst 12.3 package Dave Baumann linked to above, the catalyst installer didn't actually install a new driver, only updated HDMI sound and a couple of others. I had to do a manual uninstall of the driver that shipped with the ASUS disk, and then forcibly point XP to the relevant files for it to install. When I checked that XP had, indeed, changed driver, it turned out that the driver in the 12.3 package was the same (8.95) with the creation date as the the one shipped on the ASUS disk, without being tagged with the ASUS name, thus making it possible for me to separate the two. Performance, as expected was identical between the two versions.

So - The HD7770 shows very different behaviour under WinXP than under Win7. ASUS was apparently aware of this, and warns customers about it, saying that drivers will be forthcoming in April.
    All HD7770 scores in the FutureMark database shows worse performance than is possible under Win7, so the issue is not unique to me - in fact there is no WinXP score that is anywhere near a low end Win7 score so the low performance under XP seems universal.
    AMD does not refer to any XP-drivers for the cards in their drop down driver support menus. There is a driver package available, but it contains the same driver that the card shipped with. No update has been made since the introduction of the card, and there is no indication from AMD that any change is forthcoming.

8. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

I really can't fault AMD for not focusing let alone creating a XP package for the 7770, let alone anything in this and the previous generation. They shouldn't even bother trying. If they have a driver that works, even if its performance sucks, then I think you're doing well.

9. silent_guy

Veteran

Microsoft is planning to stop mainstream update support for XP soon. I'm surprised AMD even bothered to create XP drivers for their new cards.

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

a significant number of users don't know better, they don't know that the graphics card they buy to replace their 9500GS is supposed to be too recent for the XP they have had since they asked a friend to install it over Vista.
    these users typically run the driver provided on CD (whereas I would throw it away with the box)

this is potentially a market of millions users, so AMD would surely make sure to provide a minimal effort driver to avoid bad press.

XP will get updates till april 8, 2014. "soon" means two years which is quite a bit of time.

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Sorry, Cat 12.4 contains XP support. They should be available now.

12. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Indeed, look what I found:

AMD683D.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series"
    AMD683F.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series"
    :)

13. Entropy

Veteran

Thanks.

14. Davros

Legend

have you tested them ?

15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Let me add my own thrill to Blazkowicz's over discovering that I could run my old flatbed scanner on Win 7 x64 via Virtualbox+XP. ;) It works really well. It's free.