HD4000 good enough to play games?

mahler

Newcomer
I have a good offer to buy a laptop it's an i5 3rd gen 8gb ram with 500gb hdd but the HD4000 seems that won't do well for games, based on what I read so far.

What are your thoughts?

If games are a concern, you'll be much better suited with an i3 + discrete GPU, as long as the GPU is a HD75xxM, a GT625M or better.

I have a HD3000 on this machine, though havent played any 3d games.
though have run some webgl stuff performance seems about the same as a nvidia 7600 GT or possibly slightly faster. the 7600 is what I had before this

Thanks guys!

It works but you really need to use the lowest settings if you want a smoother gameplay. I'm thinking into getting a desktop with proper specifics. Laptops aren't really ideal for gaming.

I'm sure Intel HD 4000 is plenty adequate for many games. It's certainly a huge improvement over older Intel IGPs. Though its performance greatly depends on the TDP the CPU is forced to stay within so don't look at a 3770k review and assume an Ultrabook will be similar.

I have a HD3000 on this machine, though havent played any 3d games.
though have run some webgl stuff performance seems about the same as a nvidia 7600 GT or possibly slightly faster. the 7600 is what I had before this

Webgl is probably highly dependent on CPU speed and freshness of the web browser.
But that may still be a valid example, even with games you're better off with a fast CPU and slow GPU rather than slow CPU and fast GPU.

that webgl stuff is funny, I've run a couple examples there (fish, and grass), I didn't expected it to actually work but it did :) (firefox 17 on linux, 7600GT, athlon II X2 2.9GHz but at 15 to 20 fps)
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/demos-gpu-acceleration-and-webgl

Webgl is probably highly dependent on CPU speed and freshness of the web browser.
But that may still be a valid example, even with games you're better off with a fast CPU and slow GPU rather than slow CPU and fast GPU.

that webgl stuff is funny, I've run a couple examples there (fish, and grass), I didn't expected it to actually work but it did :) (firefox 17 on linux, 7600GT, athlon II X2 2.9GHz but at 15 to 20 fps)
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/demos-gpu-acceleration-and-webgl
try something good, like ( need to use chrome, works on windows, mac, linux)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vampire-balls/pdcjmcoakgklifndgbjfcidadbadlfaa?hl=en

I'm sure Intel HD 4000 is plenty adequate for many games.

A little bit different but certainly a big topic... What is this current people's fashion to compromise with quality and performance , and even considering seriously notebooks, or even in more extreme cases tablets and smartphones for playing games.
Ok, I understand that you can take the tablet/ smartphone with you even in the toilet but, come on, guys... live your life.

Why would a web page have to be installed a as Chrome plug-in, I don't know. It's like the 90s again with Netscape's proprietary HTML tags and IE's ActiveX and stuff.
it doesnt need to be, you could just view it as a normal webpage eg www.zedzeek.com/vampireballs.html (doesnt exist), if you want I'll upload a version so you can test it on other browsers
theres a few reasons why Ive done it this way
1. theres no decent html5 3d/zero latency sound, thus Im using a google sound api (basically openal IIRC)
2. It saves the game on the PC, thus you can go offline & its always available & instant startup
3. google chrome is a lot quicker for webgl from what Ive seen than the other browsers, eg you can play it on firefox (silent) but it runs about 1/2 speed
4. google are hosting it

A little bit different but certainly a big topic... What is this current people's fashion to compromise with quality and performance , and even considering seriously notebooks, or even in more extreme cases tablets and smartphones for playing games.
Ok, I understand that you can take the tablet/ smartphone with you even in the toilet but, come on, guys... live your life.
Yeah the latest Radeon/GeForce notebook GPU is neat but not everybody wants to play the most demanding games. HD 4000 can run older games and many recent games just fine. It's a ton more useful than what you'd get back in the GMA xxxx years.

Back