HD programming/IPTV through BD players?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Carl B, May 14, 2008.

1. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

There seems to be an effort afoot in S Korea, soon to push into the Unites States, that may result in BD profile 2.0 players serving as HD programming set-top boxes through the use of a certain middleware program able to run within the players' Java environment. Worth noting definitely that the PS3 would be able to take advantage of this software as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens on that front, but it would be a great addition to functionality (especially on the console) if it came to fruition.

Vague-ish details here: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6558200.html?nid=4262

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

This is definitely a smart idea. I think the 360 is supposed to get IPTV functionality, but only for providers using Microsoft IPTV, which would be AT&T in the USA and I'm not sure of anyone else.

I've never looked into standards for IPTV. As long as the BD/PS3 player could be used on just about any IPTV service it would be fantastic. If it's provider specific like the 360s rumored functionality, then it would kind of suck, except for the lucky few.

3. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

It wouldn't be provider specific per se so much as an entirely new service unto itself. So, it would still be a walled garden of sorts. But from where I'm sitting that's still a decent upgrade in functionality vs not having it at all! :)

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

That's true. So there would have to be some changes at the provider end. These may not work on an existing IPTV network?

5. patsu

Legend

OCAP (tru2way) cable set boxes are being deployed as we speak. These are similar to BD-Live players in the sense that they both include Java VM. Near the beginning of this year, they have already deployed 600,000 true2way units in US. It should be much more now.

Sony was the only major manufacturer who refused to jump onto the bandwagon because -- I was told -- they complained that the OCAP specification was controlled totally by the cable operators. This has changed last month. Sony can now make HD TV with built-in tru2way capabiility (no settop box needed).

Incidentally, I found a Java forum dedicated to tru2way/OCAP and BD-J development:
    https://hdcookbook.dev.java.net/

So you can do open source development and homebrew on Blu-ray players too.

#5 patsu, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008