HD-DVD on xbox360 bad?

bbot

Regular
I have read that Microsoft intends to include hd-dvd on the xbox360. But now that 20th Century Fox has announced that they will support blu-ray. And that means that Star Wars will be released on blu-ray and NOT hd-dvd. I think most people will prefer blu-ray because of this. Microsoft's decision to support hd-dvd is a mistake, imo. I for one, will prefer ps3 over xbox360 because of this.

bbot said:
I think most people will prefer blu-ray because of this.
George Lucas is a powerful man. :LOL:

Excuse me while I pass out laughing on that thought ...

While ignoring the fact that the above statement is very bad generalization, I'm sure more people would prefer the Spiderman franchise (which Sony Pictures already owns) than Star Wars.

Last edited by a moderator:
bbot said:
I have read that Microsoft intends to include hd-dvd on the xbox360. But now that 20th Century Fox has announced that they will support blu-ray. And that means that Star Wars will be released on blu-ray and NOT hd-dvd. I think most people will prefer blu-ray because of this. Microsoft's decision to support hd-dvd is a mistake, imo. I for one, will prefer ps3 over xbox360 because of this.
Ahh, but the mighty Harry Potter and presumbaly Lord of the Rings(not yet mentioned) will be on HD-DVD...this war is basically going to suck for the consumer.

bbot said:
I have read that Microsoft intends to include hd-dvd on the xbox360.

This is incorrect. Microsoft said that in the future they may consider adding HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or some other standard. No more, no less.

Any site that says otherwise is poorly interpreting the original quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=aIoj6W6mNl_M&refer=japan

``The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be based on today's DVD format,'' Gates said. ``We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox will incorporate an additional capability of an HD DVD player or something else.''

serenity said:
George Lucas is a powerful man. :LOL:

Excuse me while I pass out laughing on that thought ...

While ignoring the fact that the above statement is very bad generalization, I'm sure more people would prefer the Spiderman franchise (which Sony Pictures already owns) than Star Wars.

It'll all come down to what the Buffy, Angel, FireFly, Ripper, and X-Men series come out on. And to a lesser extent FarScape, BattleStar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Charmed. From that, I'll venture to say Joss Whedon > SpiderMan > George Lucas.

George Lucas is free to release SW on whichever format he feels like. Fox has no control over this. Anyway the reason why Fox finally jumped off the fence is due to the fact they want even more strict copy protection. They proposed a copy protection scheme that piggybacks on top of AACS which is another copy protection scheme to the DVD Forum and it was voted down. The DVD Forum thinks it's overkill for the consumer. The BDA accepted Fox's proposal for the copy protection so Fox had to side with BR.

Commiting to a format before there are even standalone consumer units is a bigger mistake, or even movies for purchase. Blu-ray isn't UMD Sony can't put Spiderman 2 out on Blu-ray the day PS3 comes out and expect people to acept it as the defacto standard. I can imagine the PS3 not being compatible with the final movie Blu-ray format, in respect to DRM, capacity and/or speed.

I think people here are mistaking commiting to a format with exclusive commitements to a format.

I believe most non-Sony owned studios will ultimately release their movies on both formats. Nobody wants to be stuck supporting a loser after all. Not when they have a choice.

As for how this effects the 360, it really doesn't effect it at all. There is no huge demand from consumers for the replacement of the DVD format, so for the forseeable future, this will be a battle of elitists technophiles, who are a small minority with little real influence over the industry.

The way I see it, any increased optical drive that MS adds to the X360 at a later date will be completely irrelevant. It will only be good for playing HD movies, because all X360 games will still be forced to comply to the limits of the standard DVD that the original units shipped with. It's also irrelevant because like BR in the PS3, anybody who has an HDTV and really cares will buy whichever format of stand alone player they want.

If MS had been able to include the HD-DVD drives in their initial launch, it would have been of huge benefit to HD-DVD as a format, and also to MS if they were able to convice/enable developers to actually use the increased storage capacity to improve game play.

As it stands, I can envision the possibility that a couple PS3 games ship on one BR disc but require multiple DVDs when ported over to the X360. That will give X360 a black eye, clearly, but I rather doubt it would even make that much of a difference.

I wish both companies had been able to include increased capacity drives, because third parties are going to develope for the least common denominator. So while EA might have been able to make a better Madden 20XX using more space then the DVD wil allow (and would have if the X60 had HD-DVD and the PS3 BR), they simply won't do it now.

Essentially it's the same argument: the BR is a waste for Sony because it provides nothing to the gaming experience, and adding on a HD-DVD (or a BR for that matter) after the initial launch is a waste for MS.

Powderkeg said:
I think people here are mistaking commiting to a format with exclusive commitements to a format.

I believe most non-Sony owned studios will ultimately release their movies on both formats. Nobody wants to be stuck supporting a loser after all. Not when they have a choice.

As for how this effects the 360, it really doesn't effect it at all. There is no huge demand from consumers for the replacement of the DVD format, so for the forseeable future, this will be a battle of elitists technophiles, who are a small minority with little real influence over the industry.

There wasn't a huge demand from consumers for the replacement of the CD either..

3roxor said:
There wasn't a huge demand from consumers for the replacement of the CD either..

DVD didn't replace CD, it replaced VHS, and yes, there was quite a market for movies that didn't wear out and degrade over time.

3roxor said:
Yeah the high definition DVD AUDIO formats have had no commercial success.

Unless you mean VCD and SVCD which never took off because dics had to be swapped for every single movie released and offered very little advantage in terms of quality and features (over VHS). Not to mention having no DRM protection. DVD on the other hand offered widescreen, better quality, better audio, subtitles, compact format, extras and almost never the needed to swap discs. All usable on regular TV sets.

HD video won't take off quickly because most people don't even own TVs to take advantage of the extra resolution. HD formats vs. DVD, higher resolutions, higher frame rate, higher fidelity audio, more extras, and even less disc swapping. HD formats don't offer enough incentive for the general consumer.

The option to upgrade to HD-DVD or Blu-ray after the fact is a good thing IMO. Initial Blu-ray might go the way of BETAMAX. Microsoft has little to gain financially from the success of either format, aside from HDWMV licensing with HD-DVD.

Xbox 360 will just use compression to fit everything (see the Gamecube as proof). The cost to fill more then a DVD-9 is what's going to limit developers if you ask me. The days of being blown away by pre rendered cut sceens is almost over.

robofunk said:
Yeah the high definition DVD AUDIO formats have had no commercial success.

Well, considering the fact that most people today only listen to mp3's then it's no wonder that the high definition audio formats (SACD, DVD-A) have had no commercial success.

Psychogenics said:
Ding...ding...ding...ding.True indeed. I honestly think Micorsoft will support Blu-ray in the end over Hd-dvd.

They'll of course try to change the spec so whatever blu-ray drive the PS3 has is obsolete. I'd laugh.

Developers are used to porting games to different platforms with different capacities.

They do it for the GameCube and they did it for the N64.

Sony would be smart to give developers incentives to add extra content on the Blu-Ray versions of their multiplatform games as opposed to the DVD versions.

Powderkeg said:
DVD didn't replace CD, it replaced VHS, and yes, there was quite a market for movies that didn't wear out and degrade over time.

Yeah true ..One shouldn't type with after some glasses of beer :)

Back