HD-DVD Add-on $179 w/ free shipping and 5 free movies*

Available for [strike]$152[/strike] $179 with 8 movies @ Amazon (9 counting the King Kong pack-in).

The add on is $179.99 with [strike]three[/strike] 2 free movies from an Amazon exclusive promo + an additional 5 from the mail-in promo. Then choose 3 combo disks (for example: 300, Happy Feet, and The Departed) for your freebies and the order will also qualify for the separate 3-for-2-on-combos special yielding another [strike]$27,95 off[/strike] free movie...

Edit: They seem to have figured out that the double-dipping (triple actually) was a bit too much, so no additional $27,95 off anymore. You can still get the ninth free movie though. [strike]Extra rebate still works for the standalones.

The Toshiba HD-A2 works out to $210 doing this (here).[/strike] Avsforum [strike]is[/strike] were in a buying frenzy. All gone for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly available for $152 with 8 movies @ Amazon (9 counting the King Kong pack-in).

The add on is $179.99 with 3 free movies from an Amazon exclusive promo + an additional 5 from the mail-in promo. Then choose 3 combo disks (for example: 300, Happy Feet, and The Departed) for your freebies and the order will also qualify for the separate 3-for-2-on-combos special yielding another $27,95 off...

The Toshiba HD-A2 works out to $210 doing this. Avsforum is in a buying frenzy.

Yep, the HDDVD add on was in the top 5 in videogames last I checked.

The PS3 has also jumped into the top 5, so I'm assuming there's a similar Blu Ray deal from Amazon. 3 (extra) free movies I believe.

It is kind of crazy, you can get the Tosh HD-A2 for $211 shipped with 8 free movies. Ridiculous how far hi-def prices have fallen so fast.

The PS3 has also jumped into the top 5, so I'm assuming there's a similar Blu Ray deal from Amazon. 3 (extra) free movies I believe.
Yup, there is. Doesn't seem to be any promo double-dips for the PS3, though, so the HD-DVD deals are seemingly more impulse-buy inducing (hard to resist). Still (probably) the best deal around for those on the fence for a PS3.

You mean this?:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_1/103-2382265-1709425

The PS3 has been at 1st or 2nd spot in this list ever since the pricedrop early July. So there's no changes in that respect, But the HD-DVD's position is new, definitely. Hasn't been near the top spot ever since I started checking this list out (since late June)

It is kind of crazy, you can get the Tosh HD-A2 for $211 shipped with 8 free movies. Ridiculous how far hi-def prices have fallen so fast.
What about 3rd party players? Toshiba will be more inclined to sell at a crazy loss to establish their format. PS3 is a subsidized player because of the games software. Outside of the HD-A2, HD-DVD add-on and PS3, are players affordable?

I'm not at all convinced that Tosh are loosing money on their players, and I'm beginning to think that even the 360 HD DVD add-on is profitable.

As a note the first of the cheap Chinese HD DVD players (which, curiously, is actually from a Canadian company) was announced yesterday. The current rumour price on that is around $150 - someone on AVS Forums supposedly contacted the manufacturer and they said a price of $179 CAD.

I'm not at all convinced that Tosh are loosing money on their players, and I'm beginning to think that even the 360 HD DVD add-on is profitable.

Losing Dave, not loosing... ;)

Anyway to the topic, that player still originates in China, it's just a North American distribution arm that's putting its stamp on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I cleared it with my wife and we're getting the drive.

For the 360 drive, it's a heck of a deal, since you're basically getting the drive for free.

If so, the drive tech costs must have plummeted, which ought to mean PS3's production is well below what it started at too. Certainly if Ventura can produce a HD DVD player at $200 and at a profit to make it worthwhile including store markup, the BOM must be well below that. Given the known components of these systems, couldn't an HD DVD drive cost be guessed at? Certainly not $150 or so as a cost-price HD DVD addon. Assume Toshiba breaks even on HD-A2...well, Google seems to think no-one's done a BOM on the HD-A2. Cost of HD DVD and blue laser drives is still very hazy.

If so, the drive tech costs must have plummeted, which ought to mean PS3's production is well below what it started at too.
The cost of the blue laser diodes certainly have. Although there are other differences between the two, what is most often cited as the major difference makers is the combination of more accurate actuators, the primary lens, and the floating/dual laser pickup. Insiders from both camps seem to amicably agree that the difference is still notable, but not on its impact neither in the near nor long term. I have never seen any solid numbers on how much $ the difference may be either.

Anyway to the topic, that player still originates in China, it's just a North American distribution arm that's putting its stamp on it.
It looks like originates from Canada (as in designed) but is contract manufactured in China.

It looks like originates from Canada (as in designed) but is contract manufactured in China.

Well the manufacturing for certain - the design either homegrown or OEM reference-based, but I would suspect the later. Either way though, a positive for HD DVD going into the fall/winter season.

I think that's a bit of a stretch.
<shrug> Thats how I read their bio:

Our highly-automated manufacturing partner in China builds some of the world's best known consumer electronics brands. Our design, engineering, and manufacturing expertise has earned the respect of our customers and OEM partners.

<shrug> Thats how I read their bio:
Well, possibly. I'm just inheretly skeptical towards 'brands' claims towards the uniqueness and engineering of their product[*]. Usually, I tend to think it extends to picking a custom faceplate and glued on logo, if that. This goes for the big players as well on occasion, but is a virtual certainty for the more generic ones. There's also the obvious reasons for such companies/branches to want to identify themselves and their products as wholly local. If they already have contracts with big retailers, that may very well have set parameters for design and specifications, though.

Oh, well. Not that it matters much anyway... :smile:

[*]
That, and the fact that their website used to be www.alcoelectronics.com until quite recently, as well as them still being listed as 'Alco Electronics Inc.' on the 10K employees Hong Kong-based holding company's website.

As a note the first of the cheap Chinese HD DVD players (which, curiously, is actually from a Canadian company) was announced yesterday. The current rumour price on that is around $150 - someone on AVS Forums supposedly contacted the manufacturer and they said a price of $179 CAD.

At least the drive must be cheap, so far noone has seen the picture quality. The 1080i output isn´t on par with the other players though.

Can you connect the drive to a PS3 via USB? I dont have a PC on my big screen.. and it has no USB ports. If so, I would probably get this amazon deal.

edit, and I ment the 360 Hd DVD drive.

Back