HD 4870 X2 (R700) review thread

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by willardjuice, Jul 14, 2008.

1. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

A note on DriverHeaven's review...

For those wanting to compare to the GTX 280, do take note they're using an XFX XXX edition which is clocked significantly higher (670 core / 1458 shader / 2500 mem) than the standard cards (602 core / 1296 shader / 2214 mem). They're also using Cat 8.6 drivers.

3. I.S.T.

Veteran

Think I found a minor error in techreport's preview.

Doesn't that paragraph contradict itself?

4. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Slightly sloppy wording maybe, but no it doesn't contradict itself based on my first thoughts upon reading it. 1GB effective though there is 2GB of memory on the card.

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

hardocp is also using a overclocked geforce .

look like nvidia will have to drop the price on the geforce 280 at the very least

6. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I personally don't see the issue with using a overlocked card. Overclocked Nvidia cards are common and you can almost always find one selling for the same as stock ones. As long as the model and clock speeds are noted then I see little issue.

Do we seriously expect Nvidia to drop the price on the 280 again? The chips massive and the costs are certainly going to be very high. At $450 is the lowest I can imagine them going on it as of right now.

7. willardjuice

I don't know, selling them at a loss is better than not selling them at all. Let's say R700 is $500, who would ever buy the 280?

8. sc3252

Newcomer

Hexus mentioned idle draw of the card. Doesn't look to good with 242W being consumed, of course that will probably fixed before release.

9. willardjuice

PowerPlay is not enabled yet.

10. Galduta

Veteran

Well, now ATI only need to make the same hack that Nvidia with drivers to take MSAA in the Unreal engine 3, for use all advantages of the new ATI Hardware AA. Because Nvidia has much advantage over ATI, only works the AA in R6 Las Vegas, and with worst performance than in Nvidia

It is very important this support of Nvidia for the MSAA with the Unreal Engine 3, works in many games . This topic is the only thing that I do not like in the 4xxx series of ATI , Nvidia has given me MSAA in many games as R6 Las Vegas, BioShock, Moh Airborne, Gears of War - in DX 9 - Mass Effect, Stalker ... and more in the future - in STALKER Clear Sky -

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

Hmm. Anand, Hexus and Pc Perspective says it has 2x512 mb of ram, while all the others Extremetech(Which doesn't list how much it has) say it has 2X1024 mb. Perhaps a result of these being early samples, or a second SKU?

12. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

It's simply some sites getting it wrong. There's no way AMD would put out cards with different memory amounts to the sites. That would be tremendously confusing to all the readers out there.

13. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Is it me, or there is no pictorial of the disassembled cooler anywhere on the review sites?
    Just curious, about the heat sink design.

14. hoom

Veteran

PCB is not red & there is a big AMD logo on it :shock: :???:

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I think the most impressive thing to come out of this is how useable Edge Detect is with the 4870x2 and with CrossfireX with 2 of them.

Then again I also wonder if this is the new code they were talking about previously that would vastly improve the performance of ED.

Regards,
    SB

16. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

MSAA scaling all the way up to 24x:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

It's good then that it's been supported since the 8.3 Catalysts, with CF related quirks being worked out in the 8.6/Hotfix drivers (for UE3 engines in DX9).

The fact that you're piling Stalker with the UE3 games is not quite correct, implementing AA there is a different kettle of fish. And you'd hope that Clear Sky supports AA natively, as opposed to IHVs having to go beating around the bush to enable it and having 20 FPS performance on even the highest end parts.

18. Tchock

Regular

Didn't GSC Gameworld imply that they weren't going to do MSAA in DX10? I think they shifted the attention around, but that still doesn't sound good.

19. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

20. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

Ideally you'd want to compare cards based on whatever their default clocks are. We will, afterall, likely see overclocked R700s from the AIBs as well. Only then would it be completely fair to compare AIB altered cards.

Having said that, it doesn't really matter to me either. My only interest in the R700 was how well it scales wrt RV770 Crossfire.