HD 4870 review thread.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by mczak, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Dooby

Regular

Anyone got any ideas of microstuttering in Crossfire. Ive noticed it on my SLI 8800GTX so Id rather not move up to have the same problem. Does the new CF Sideport help in any way with this?

2. apoppin

Regular

Yes, it is zero problem IF you use other than AFR; i.e. Crossfire filtering maxed out and it is perfect for lower resolutions than the 30" displays.

i know that AMD is making improvements to X3 scaling; the main issue being that you generally have to wait for a driver update [or 2] to play the very latest games with crossfire. Since i am a PC game bargain-bin hunter, that is NP for me.

i guess AMD made me a fan again
    - after all the nonsense i said about Tesla and CUDA
    :oops:

admittedly, Nvidia is looking to their future; i just think they are way out of touch with their pricing and i want to now put my money where my mouth is. No Nvidia for me this generation; imo CUDA will not be so useful for awhile for gamers except for PhysX. And AMD has Havok.

My HD4870 will be here Friday and i will finally "toss" my 8800GTX [into another rig]
    - i am looking forward to a future X3 solution when i upgrade my LCD, MB and CPU .. for now, i will have a decent gaming rig that can handle Crysis and the newer games better.

#102 apoppin, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Dooby

Regular

I have a 30". A few, infact.

4. Wesker

Newcomer

My point was that had AMD/ATI decided to devote to the traditional high end, monolthic design (based on the designs of RV770), they would not of had a tough time outdoing Nvidia's G200 or G92 GX2. I'm just making estimations here that a monolithic R700 wouldn't have to be much bigger than RV770 for it to completely outperform G200.

From what I've seen so far, RV770 seems extremely flexible in scaling processing units up or down. I don't think the engineers at AMD/ATI would've blown costs trying to make a larger RV770 ("R700").

Don't get me wrong: I'm not mad at AMD/ATI for not deciding to go with a larger RV770. I understand that had RV770 been more larger and expensive, and its performance underwhelming, the project could've blown up in AMD/ATI's face. Further, we all know that AMD isn't exactly in a great position either financially or competitively.

But you can't deny that a monolithic R700, based on the RV770 design, had the potential to outperform G200, while being smaller, cheaper and cooler:
    [​IMG]
    RV770 is half the size of G200, yet is only 10-20% slower!

5. Ilfirin

Regular

I certainly don't see too large of an issue with a single chip 40nm, 2.x RV770 for the next gen that'd still be well within range for an X2 chip

6. chavvdarrr

Veteran

No, Intel has havok.
    AMD declared that they'll work with Intel in order to check if running Havoc routines on GPU is possible.
    ie best-case is thats a work in progress, worst case - it will never happen.

7. A.L.M.

Newcomer

Well, Intel plans to enter the graphics card market by the end of 2009, maybe from that time even them could have an interest in running physics on gpus.
    So Intel and AMD cpus are supporting Havok, and in the future Intel and AMD gpus will. :wink:
    Anyway, until there are no standard api for physics, I highly doubt that physics in games will improve substantially (since even with a dedicated ppu there wasn't so much improvement).

8. Broken Hope

Regular

9. randomhack

Newcomer

Waiting impatiently for the B3D writeup :(

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

So idle core speed is down to 160 from 500 (Rv770 launch) and 300 (Rv670). In theory it "should" have lower idle power by Rv670 by a noticeable amount.

I wonder if any sites will redo their power and thermals and update their reviews?

Regards,
    SB

11. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

According to this:

[​IMG]

R6xx could not do single cycle 4x MSAA. Or for that matter, it couldn't even do single cycle 2xMSAA.

I thought all GPU's had been able to do 2x MSAA in a single cycle for ages? Also, Xenos does single cycle 4x so this is long over due on the PC were its actually more heavily used.

Also, doesn't G80 (and above) use single cycle 4x MSAA? The lack of this in R6xx combined with the lower ROPs would equal a massively lower sample rate which likely contributed greatly to its poor MSAA performance.

12. Mintmaster

Veteran

Good catch. I also thought it could do single cycle 2xAA, but that would explain why ATI cards always had a noticeable drop with 2xAA but much less from there to 4xAA and higher.

You're right about single cycle 4xAA being long overdue for ATI. It should have been there on R600, especially given the bandwidth.

Yup. It was no mystery why G80 slaughtered R600 in AA performance.

13. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

Odd how Tech Report has ET:QW scaling +61.5% and FS has +71% with 4870CF compared to Anand's 5%. Anand just doesn't seem to be able to get the right CF result with ET:QW in their last 3 reviews, compared to other sites (e.g. look at their anamolous 3870X2 result, 32.7fps compared to 57.9 fps from Tech Report)

14. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Is this something that can be fixed through driver updates :?:

15. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

The sample boards I have downclock to proper 160E/500M with the latest press drivers, and I doubt they have updated BIOSes on them.

16. Broken Hope

Regular

What bios version does GPUZ say they have? The old bios is 11.003 the new version is 11.004.

17. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Xbit's review with some synthetic tests is up, thought some might find it useful.

[​IMG]

18. Sxotty

Veteran

I hope you mean quakewars.,

If you are spending time on quakeworld optimizations I think you are spending that time poorly ;)

19. sireric

Regular

Doh!

20. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

Still time poorly spent, that game's playerbase is tiny. What would be amazing is a way to disable trilinear and AF "optimization" without messing with Catalyst AI and I'm all over the 4870. A way to clamp negative lod bias would be great too. Say what you want about Nvidia but their manage 3d settings panel is money.