HD 4870 review thread.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by mczak, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hoom

Veteran

So about time for a price check:
    Unlike with the 3870 launch, 4870 prices have been falling from high launch pricing quite quickly :)
    At launch they were going for NZ$650 but are now down at about $450.

3870s are now down to $240 having started at about $600 & stayed up there for far too long.

9800GTX is at $400, GTX260 $525 & GTX280 is $750 (down from over $1000 at launch)

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Nice, it indicates that unlike 3870 (launched holiday season) they aren't having any serious supply issues with the 4870 (launched slow buying season).

Price has even come down slightly in some places in the US. Have seen the 4870 for as low as $289 US. I haven't really been keeping track so maybe there've been some better deals.

The nice thing for consumer's though is to see how quickly Nvidia was willing to forgo margins in order to offer consumers a price competitive product. Even if they were, basically, forced to do so.

Regards,
    SB

3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

So, it's pretty much because the other coolers do not adequately cool. More specificly, the one alternative cooler that's killing cards does not cool the power mosfets at all.

#384 BRiT, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Those aftermarket coolers originally were not specced for very high performance and overclocked cards. IMO, the heatpipe design can't shift the large amounts of heat away from this kind of GPU fast enough, even if AC have just stuck a bigger fan on it. They also get very hot without some kind of airflow (ie they are much, much hotter with the case open than with the case closed and some airflow over them).

Also the way they are fitted puts a lot of stress on the card. the bolting mechnaism gives the card quite a bend when tightened up correctly.

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

The only issue is the cooler not cooling the power mosfets on the HD 4870 at all.

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

ya, I wonder if some stick on heat sinks would be adequate.

Typical early adopter stuff really, I'm glad they are finding all these problems out for me before I buy. :)

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's not an early adopter problem, it's people fitting after market coolers that are not meant to be for these cards. Might as well put a bag of frozen peas on the GPU and then imply there's a manufacturing fault because they fail.

9. Jawed

Legend

Computerbase.de's rather useful RV770 scaling article, which looks at different core and memory clocks and compares GDDR3 and GDDR5.

Unfortunately the testing was at only 1600x1200 and there's no tented or edge-detect AA to make things more interesting.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2008/bericht_was_gddr5_radeon_hd_4870/

The largest gains are in some 3DMk06 feature tests, e.g. upto 56% in single texture rate and shader particles up to around 40%.

Jawed

10. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

The French are also on the comparison bang wagon, here. :smile:

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Members will please take discussion of firey retribution and emotional states of mind elsewhere.

12. Wesker

Newcomer

So what of the HD4850/4870 heat issues? Can we get confirmation that PowerPlay working properly during idle states?

The RV770XT cooler is quite a heavy duty cooler, and has little problem cooling the card at full load with only a 35% (using the Catalyst profiling fan fix) fan speed. However, what bugs me is why ATI left the fan speed at 24% for both idle and load states, leaving the GPU to idle and load at 80C at all times.

13. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Judging from the idle power-draw readings obviously it's not working at all, or not as it should be.
    And I don't know, whether this can be fixed only by a new firmware/BIOS or just a new driver release.

If NV can put 1.4 billion mammoth chip to such a low power-draw idling, so what's so much troubling for the RV770?

I'm still on the stand, that the overall cooler design of 4870 (as hi-end SKU) should have been a bit more reworked with more prospect for cooling a chip, blasting tons of current through nearly 50% more dense IC array than the G200 is.

#393 fellix, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I'd guess it's a driver issue. You can already manually fiddle with the fan speeds just by editing the profile files. There's no way the OEMs would allow for these kind of high power/heat issues all the time. t would impact the design (and cost) of the whole system to deal with it, and I can't see that AMD would release these cards without a way to fix these issues in a simple update.

It's probably worth remembering that the 4850/4870 release was earlier than planned, with retailers jumping the gun both times and forcing AMD to pull the official release forwards. As usual, I think the drivers still have work to be done on them. Having said that, ATI need to get this fixed ASAP. It's majorly important to get the heat, power and fan speed working correctly.

15. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Definitely!
    Actually, if the Cat 8.7 is to fix all the aforementioned issues, the HD4000 units should have been released sometime now properly, I guess. ;)

And what is so quirky, about the fan controls in there, for ATi? This is a second generation turn, where this rather simple issue, isn't spotted before launch.

#395 fellix, Jul 20, 2008
  16. Quitch

Veteran

Is this card prone to hear failures? I see a lot of worrying about the heat, but the number itself is irrelevant except in relation to the heat level the card can manage. Is 75-80 degrees a problem?

17. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Engineers say the board is designed to withstand up to a hundred degrees Celsius of continuous operation, as far, as I know. But I don't think this concerns rendering artifacts, that may appear. ;)
    Of course, keeping the board at the edge (or close near of it) is not much of a recommendation, but 80 degrees is fine, I think. Good cooling and breezyoverall system ventilation is never of a surplus in such situations.

#397 fellix, Jul 20, 2008
  18. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It seems a bit silly not to use an extra five-ten percent of fanspeed when it gives a 20 percent decrease in temps with no discernible noise increase.

19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

What issue is that? I personally OK'ed the fan table.

Of cousre it does. All qualification is done at much higher temps and there is all kind off apps and diagsthat are run at higher temps to test for corruptions.

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Personally I'd like to see more of that heat blown out the back of the case - isn't that what the rear exhausting fan is for?