HD 4870 review thread.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by mczak, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mczak

Veteran

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

That's some seriously ugly power use at idle. And it's up there with the GTX 280 on load. Temps running 80C idle and 92-97 C load on both cards is scary stuff. Why do they design such limited coolers?

I'm not willing to believe that future drivers will fix the power issue. I don't really believe in faith in driver improvement. If it actually happens, that's when it can be part of the spec sheet.

However, considering it has nearly 2x the bandwidth of 4850 and +125 MHz core clock, the performance is actually somewhat disappointing. It positions itself generally above GTX 260, which depending on price, is nifty. Impressively competition stuff from ATI here.

[​IMG]

#2 swaaye, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  3. Pressure

Veteran Regular

I don't quite see the fuss about heat. If it can handle those temperatures I see nothing wrong with it.

Idle and load power consumption on the other hand is a bit more interesting.

4. XMAN26

Banned

Nice review link. The 4870 seems to match up against the GTX 260 very evenly. While the 280 is faster the vast majority of the time, it is by far not 300 bucks faster. That price better drop fast and soon or the GT200b better come sooner than later.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

6. XMAN26

Banned

Another good one and yet another proving the 280 isn't worth 300 bucks more than the 4870 based on performance. This will be nice to revist in 5-6m and after several driver releases. But I doubt the story will change much.

7. AlphaWolf

Legend

There's always been a huge premium for the bleeding edge, but it seems like the mid range cards are a lot more capable relative to user needs than they were just a year ago. Makes that premium seem a much steeper price.

8. XMAN26

Banned

Truely, Looks like I'll either go 2x 260s or 2x 4870s for my next upgrade/build, the 280 is just way to much for way to little.

9. Trawler

Regular

Fantastic card, kudos to the guys at ATI for giving us great price/performance.

10. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

11. ZerazaX

Regular

The 0 AA -> 4xAA -> 8xAA performance chart that Anandtech uses shows how truly powerful the RV770 is with AA... the slope is nearly 0!

12. XMAN26

Banned

I avoid AATs reviews, to many canned benches for me.

13. AnarchX

Veteran

14. AlphaWolf

Legend

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

What's up with Bioshock?

Does Bioshock have an extremely large Shader:Texture ratio? I can't think of any other reason why the Rv770 would absolutely positively cream the GT200 in this game.

Either way, even though I'm REALLY not likely idle power draw on the 4870, I think it just made my "must buy as soon as possible" list.

Hexus mentioned a blurb about IHVs releasing a new bios to fix fan and power issues. So it could be that the core and memory isn't ratcheting down far enough. I can't imagine ATI would deliberately have the core idle at 500 rather than 300 as with the 3870.

Regards,
    SB

16. AnarchX

Veteran

The problem seems that clock-gating is still not activated.

17. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Anyone who cares about heat or noise running a single card setup should get a HR-03 GT or a Accelero S1 rev2.

18. tuteja1986

Newcomer

19. DemoCoder

Veteran

Wasn't BioShock a 360 game first? It could be one of those things, like Doom-engine games, where the dev developed the whole game with a particular IHV's HW architecture in mind, with support for other chips being effectively "ports". Perhaps aggressive tuning in Bioshock rendering/shaders went into maximizing Xenos performance, and some of that ended up benefitting the Rv770 somehow. (one way this could occur is tweaking all shaders to hit the sweet spot of ALU:TEX ratio and RBE for a particular architecture, leading to bottlenecks or untapped power on the other)

I think you'll see this somewhat affecting Rv770 scores for a while as well. Devs have been favoring the G8x for how long now? Some of that will translate into games optimized to run best on G8x, which may end up making the Rv770 run slower than otherwise have been the case. Consider the effect of CUDA as well, which is way mor established than CAL at this point. If games start including shaders tuned for G8x/CUDA architecture, or even more, CUDA code, it will disadvantage AMD.

20. A.L.M.

Newcomer

This is something that probably won't happen in the short term, and even in the mid to long term period I see it as very unlikely. What you're talking about it should be what is called "compute shaders", which is something that we won't be able to see until the first DX11 games come out... So in 2010-11, maybe. And by then the scenery could be completely different. :wink: