HD 4670 + Athlon X2 5000+ with 230W PSU?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I was thinking about upgrading my HTPC to do some light gaming and I was wondering if my PSU could handle an HD 4670?

My Specs:

Athlon X2 5000+
2gb DDR2 Ram
2x HDDs
1x DVD Writer
and a Possible HD 4670
Oh yea its a gigabyte 780G MATX motherboard.

My Powersupply: Rated 230W

Task
Model: TK-923FX

+12V =24A
+5V =30A
+3.3V =28A

Can anyone give me some input whether its doable/safe to add the card to my setup?

I think it would be safe (as in nothing will blow up)
but wether it will work ? try it and see, just be prepared to buy a better psu

The "try it and see" approach is the last phrase one should utter WRT PSUs.

In this case you're lucky it won't be an issue.

Squilliam: if your PSU is capable of delivering the amperage per rail that it claims, it will power the components you desire. I believe all the 4670s out there are plug-less.

The "try it and see" approach is the last phrase one should utter WRT PSUs.

In this case you're lucky it won't be an issue.

Squilliam: if your PSU is capable of delivering the amperage per rail that it claims, it will power the components you desire. I believe all the 4670s out there are plug-less.

The plug-less design is what im after, and it does feel like a decent PSU for its size (Well it does have a bit of weight behind it).

Thanks for your help. I thought it would work, but I just wanted confirmation.

@Davros Thanks as well.

Why is the first time i've heard of TASK PSUs?
Doing a google search for that model turns only a few hits.

My Powersupply: Rated 230W

Task
Model: TK-923FX

+12V =24A
+5V =30A
+3.3V =28A

Can anyone give me some input whether its doable/safe to add the card to my setup?
If it can actually supply those outputs, it's a very underrated PSU @ 230W... 20A on the 12V line alone is 240W. Those specs look more like a TK-935 or TK-940 series. I used some Task mATX cases many years ago.

If it can actually supply those outputs, it's a very underrated PSU @ 230W... 20A on the 12V line alone is 240W. Those specs look more like a TK-935 or TK-940 series. I used some Task mATX cases many years ago.

Thats really strange! Does the fact that we use 240V down here In New Zealand have anything to do with the discrepency?

I listed the numbers from the PSU accurately, but still it is strange that the numbers don't add up.

Thats really strange! Does the fact that we use 240V down here In New Zealand have anything to do with the discrepency?

I listed the numbers from the PSU accurately, but still it is strange that the numbers don't add up.
240V only means that you'll have a bit higher efficiency switching AC->DC. As per above, a pic of the label might have the 3.3V+5V max & 12V max combined ratings, otherwise it's impossible to tell based on other models. Which series does it look like? What's the UL number?

Back