having some trouble with my PS2 and widescreen.

I.S.T.

Veteran
I recently got an HDTV, and decided to play through Ratchet and clank 2. The game supports 16:9 widescreen, but when I turn it on the screen still stays 4:3. the proportions are a little off, but it's still 4:3. It's not filling my screen.

Is this normal?

I've got progressive scan turned on, of course.

I recently got an HDTV, and decided to play through Ratchet and clank 2. The game supports 16:9 widescreen, but when I turn it on the screen still stays 4:3. the proportions are a little off, but it's still 4:3. It's not filling my screen.

Is this normal?
Yes. Widescreen on normal SDTV is anamorphic, like DVDs or TV broadcasts in widescreen. The frame is a 4:3 aspect, but the TV stretches it to fit. Just find the 'zoom / P size' button on your TV remote and set it to 16:9, fullscreen, or whatever stretches the picture to fit properly.

I somewhat disagree with Shifty on this one. It's been a while since I turned on my PS2, but I'm fairly sure you have to set your PS2 to 16:9 in the settings menu (boot up the PS2 without a disc and go into the options screen)

You're right, there is a 16:9 setting, but if the TV is displaying a 4:3 that looks stretched, then forcing it to 16:9 will fill the screen correctly. The other option is to crop the 4:3 image to 16:9 which IIRC is what happens when the PS2 is set to 16:9 in the menu. I don't know how that affects games - I never had any widescreen games to try.

Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to use my TV's wide option(I don't trust TVs/DVD players/etc altering a frame to be 16:9 or 4:3). Oh, well.

Thanks.

Edit: It seems I was right to not trust my TV. It doesn't agree with that option at all, though for different reasons than I anticipated/was paranoid about(part of the frame being cut off). The image quality is completely crap in that mode. It was already set to a Widescreen mode on my Wii when we had it hooked up via Composite cables, but I thought the terrible image quality was due to the cables. Guess I was wrong. >.<

Last edited by a moderator:
What game did you test it with though? Some PS2 games (if they even support a 16:9 mode natively) upscale a 16:9 image in the most imaginative of ways ... ;)

Yeah I've noticed that with my new hdtv that 16:9 almost never fills the screen properly and with full on some games I get the correct 16:9 images and others I get the slightly stretched 16:10

What game did you test it with though? Some PS2 games (if they even support a 16:9 mode natively) upscale a 16:9 image in the most imaginative of ways ... ;)

Read the first post. :p ;)

Some other 16:9 games might work right, but Ratchet and Clank 2 sure as hell doesn't.

Back