Having a problem with video playback... help appreciated

I've tried Googling, which usually turns up a hundred possible answers which I have to sort through, but this time I had a difficult time finding what I thought would be abundant information.

For most video files, the video freezes during playback, usually a few seconds into the file, average maybe ten seconds. This happens with .mpg, .wmv, .avi and others. It happens in realplayer, wmp9, wmp11, quicktime, and media wizard. It happens with a variety of files from a multitude of different sources. Sound continues, video is frozen.

Interestingly, the problem isn't 100% consistent... there are a few files that behave, but I can't find any reason why those are different than the dozens of others of the same filetypes. Also interesting, scanning forward usually locks up the player, moving the player window around either does no harm (but no good) or sometimes locks up the player, but reszing the player (by dragging the corner) shows the video... sometimes fast forwarding through all frames from when it froze to the current frame, sometimes skipping to the current frame.

Very weird. I'm guessing that since the behavior is so widespread through filetypes and players that it is a lower level video subsystem problem, either codec or driver, but I can't find any reference to anything to get me started in the right direction.

I'm suspicious that allowing wmp to update to version 11 recently may have sparked the problem, but this system is a fresh install of just a couple of weeks age and I can't be certain that this behavior hasn't always been present - I didn't transfer my video collection from my backup drive until a few days ago (though I don't remember playback from youtube or other web-based players having problems).

Any suggestions? I installed a couple of "shotgun" approach codec packs hoping to hit on something useful, but no luck.

Windows media player (9, 10, and 11) also stop responding quite often. I've googled until I don't know what else to search for, and I'll be damned if I can find anything useful.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

First and foremost, remove all horrible codec packs.

Then try vlc www.videolan.org

It doesn't use DirectShow codecs for playback, so it can give us a pointer as to where the problem lies.

I would also like you to try Mediaplayer Classic or ZoomPlayer because both those two players allow you to change renderer. Try to set the renderer to VMR9 renderless.

Also, grab GraphEdit. Try to play a troublesome file and see if it's any difference to a trouble free one in the DirectShow filter chain when you use the files in GraphEdit (also try to connect to the graph of an external player). In GraphEdit, you can insert, bypass and reconfigure codecs to hel you figure out what's wrong. Feel free to post a screenshot.

There are probably some messed up or corrupt filters being used that you don't want around. If this is the case then uninstall the offending filters regularly, or if they're remnants of an already removed application you can use a program like Filmerit to clean out erroneous entries or reduce the priority of any malfunctioning codec that has 'taken over' your media playback.

OK, vlc and media player classic in default mode have essentially the same behavior. I uninstalled all codec packs I had installed - no change. I ran the Filmerit and it identified 10 codecs that wern't functioning/registered properly or whatever, but it doesn't seem to allow repairing or removing of those, so I'm not sure where to go from there.

Media player classic in VRM9 renderless mode worked for most files... a few it said the correct codec wasn't installed, probably because I had removed DivX etc. codecs? In VRM9 it's skips a bunch when seeking but I guess that is from being software driven?

Graphedit directed me to the MS SDK download and install... 1+GB for to get a diagnostic!? Besides, I never could find graphedit in the SDK tools... did I get the right thing; if not what should I have been looking for... if so what should I be looking for?

I should mention that since I installed XP fresh, with new drivers, rather limited software, etc. Windows Media Player has had a problem when I tried to close it... it dissapeared like it was closed but continued to maintain an active process... until I killed that I couldn't reopen WMP. Seems that VLC now has similar behavior, especially when it hangs on a file. You can close it but it remains active, playing sound in the background, and requires a taskmanager kill to get rid of it. WMP the same. Media Wizard the same.

I ran the Filmerit and it identified 10 codecs that wern't functioning/registered properly or whatever, but it doesn't seem to allow repairing or removing of those, so I'm not sure where to go from there.
You have to disable the 'read only' mode. The docs are your friend.
Graphedit directed me to the MS SDK download and install... 1+GB for to get a diagnostic!? Besides, I never could find graphedit in the SDK tools... did I get the right thing; if not what should I have been looking for... if so what should I be looking for?
There's a 250KB mirror link at the page I gave above, specifically so you don't have to get the whole DirectX SDK... :idea: Could have made that clearer. Sorry.

But anyway: Since it's the same in Videolan, it might not be a DirectShow filter/codec problem after all. Since it seems to work under VRM9, this could point to an overlay/DXVA problem, in which case cleaning out and reinstalling your (perhaps different) VGA drivers might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'll give that a shot. Since I installed XP fresh the drivers I used are different than what I was using before the reinstall... perhaps there is some conflict with this particular version and some hardware/software combination I have.

Let's see...

Yep, video driver. Damn. Would have never thought it was a driver... assumed it was codec or something. Wonder if it was an overlay issue?

Oh well, all players seem to work a hell of a lot better now, and VLC seems pretty cool to boot so something good came out of it after all! I think I'll keep VLC and media player classic and trash WMP for now.

Back