Has your interest in Console/PC gaming dimished?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Has your interest in Console/PC gaming diminished?

I have a PS2 but haven't touched it since months, only saw my Bro playing it sometimes. I have a full-time job, am studying too...I have noticed that since last one year my interest in gaming has taken a big dive. In the evening when I come back from Office, I spend my time chatting (online) with my Friend and browsing...sometimes few online sessions of UT99...apart from Studying. I have so many games lying uncomplete, but I have no movitation to finish them.

I regularly visit Console Forum and most of the members there are Grown up Adults (gaming since childhood) with some having childs. But they all are so enthusiastic about console gaming, they buy most of the consoles, play and finish games (even on God Mode:LOL: ) and then post tiniest of details there with great enthusiasm. I have noticed that these days I am more eager to know about games (and consoles) than playing them, infact I feel that even if someone gifts me a PS3 right now I don't think I would spend hours on it like I used to do few year ago...strange!:???:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a simple lack of time that and the fact the gameplay is as important anymore personally if graphics are @#$@#$ I probably won't play it even if it has good game play.

Never had any interest in gaming on consoles, so that ouldn't decline.
PC gaming is the same as ever...to many games, to little time *L*

My interrest in tinkering with PC's has declined though, new hardware dosn't appeal to me as much as before, I'm all about the gameplay/interaction now...

Abso-fuckin-lutely.

These days i play very rarely, and only when i have a game that i need to finish, and i only get the must-have games. Like, I'm playing FF12 now - and this one is gonna take me months to finish, before that i played Kingdom Hearts2, before that God of War and Katamari Damaci. And Shadow of the Colossus. Before these, i had a year or two where is just did not play at all. No interest whatsoever.

I haven't seriously played a PC game from start to finish since.........well, I can't even remember to tell the truth, prolly Half Life 2 though at a guess. Contrast that to a severe upswing in my interest in gaming on consoles. I've got a DS Lite, couple of PSPs and a 360, and I play them to death whenever I can. I'll fire up a Live Arcade game at lunch, play the handhelds in bed before I drop off to sleep, over breakfast, on the bus, etc. After work if I'm not doing anything else, I'll fire up the 360 before I'll pursue other leisure activities. I've dropped a silly amount of money into them in the last year (dozens of games for each, accessories galore for the 360) and I feel like I've got great value for money almost every time.

The only game type on the PC that I feel I can't get on my consoles in a comparable way are MMORPGs, and I have about as much desire to play those as I do setting fire to my face. They're just not my thing As for the 'FPS sucks on console' thing, I have brilliant fun playing them on the 360 because the controller is a leveller. It makes everyone shit, so there's no elitism during online play (or very little) :LOL:

So yeah, massive downswing in my desire to game on the PC to the point where I don't even think about doing it anymore. Console gaming though, I just love to death and do a heck of a lot.

How do I make a correction in Topic's Title?

I saw some gamers have multiple consoles and have tons of games (and they are normal woking guys)...how do they get time to play games and spend hours on forums? :oops:

Generally I find I swing from console to PC and back again depending on which has the most fun games to play. At the moment I can't get enough of my Xbox360 but by this time next year I'll probably pour some money into upgrading my PC so I can play some of the new Directx10 games, that is of course if I don't keep spending all my spare cash on 360 games. Hell Microsoft love me so much at the moment that they gave me 500 m/soft points as a christmas bonus because I'm in the top 2000 spenders on xbox live. XBLA, love it but my wallet hates it.:LOL:

I used to play lot on pc, now its been a long time i installed something to play on it.. i think that will change in a few years when consoles are walking behind the pc

I spent about a year hunting for a game that I could sink my teeth into. My purchase of a 360 a month or so ago filled a hole that had been there for quite a while.

My PC gaming tends to be cyclical, driven by upgrade fever and the need to "test" new hardware. The last game PC I played all the way through was Vampire Bloodlines, which was great.

The current console gen seems to be breathing some good life into gaming, with quite a few new and interesting titles on the shelves, or just over the horizon. If Viva Pinata doesn't grab you, you may as well hang up your joystick ;)

Depends on your meaning of diminished. My time to game has gone down a lot as of late, but I've recently hit a spark again where I'm having fun playing games. Even my annoyance with Rainbow 6: Vegas' graphics (why the fuzzy red haze!?!) its possibly the first squad based game I'm really enjoying, and its multiplayer is pretty darn good as well. Then there's also the good old standbys like Counter Strike: Source.

My interest in single-player and/or FPS-style games died a fair while ago; I spend a lot of my time playing MMOGs these days. FPSs went stale several years ago and it irritates me somewhat that they are still pretty much the heart-beat of the PC gaming industry (both software and hardware). Single-player FPSs seem to me to be as pointless as platformers, multi-player FPSs well then I'm put off by the online community. They're good fun for a LAN or private server game with my mates for one evening every six months, but logging on to a public server is a recipe for a face full of |_1n3n0iZ3.

In any case I'm more of an RTS/stategy person myself. FPSs are nice to see some eye-candy and a quick blow-off, but that's all. I've bought one single-player game in the past 2.5 years (Oblivion, which I stopped playing after two hours because it gave me motion sickness). I've played three MMOGs in that time (EVE, WoW and EQ2) of which EVE I've been subscribed constantly throughout
those 2.5 years; I'll be trying out Vanguard when it launches. So I haven't lost interest, but my interest has shifted from "gaming" ... towards playing games.

well i still love PC gaming, but my pc is too worn out for it :cry: , and where I live there is an app. 60% increase in hardware prices over those in the USA, but i got over it, i have a lot to study for so even if i had a PC i wouldnt get much time to play it.

I havent played anything seriously since oblivion, even that was a chore after a while. I want to get back to a MMORPG game, but the one Im looking forward to (vanguard), seems to be a dud according to some on these forum. Sigh, I guess Im just getting old.

epic

I want to get back to a MMORPG game, but the one Im looking forward to (vanguard), seems to be a dud according to some on these forum. Sigh, I guess Im just getting old.

Yeah I've seen those comments, and similar comments on the Sigil boards. But I've not seen any substance to them. They're all "you'll be disappointed". Or "it's not that sort of game I like". Or "it runs like crap". Some of those are maybe down to the client being drugged up to the eye-balls with debug code. The others are maybe personal preference (if <blah> doesn't like it doesn't mean you or I won't). Also, it's not finished yet, not even close, MMOGs never are (compare EVE now to what it was in May '03, it was in all truth still in beta when it launched). So I'm going to at least give it a few months of my time to see what it's all about. I think many people want it to be the second coming of Jesus Christ, which possibly explains a lot of the negative comments.

i used to play games heaps when i was a kid, i havent played games for years
i believe the last one i played was some flash internet game a couple of months ago
ive only played 2 consoles in my life atari2600 + some nintendo 8bit on the airplane
ie ive never touched a ps1/ps2gamecube/xbox etc

But zed, you are quite active in Console Forum. ;)
active, prolly i average 1 per day (compared to some ppl that i guess are like 10s) , well i make them not play them (so do have a interest but mainly from a technical viewpoint)
check out a small game i quickly hacked together its todays IOTD at www.gamedev.net
(requires gl2.0 card not sure if it runs on amd cards)

Interest has diminished in PC gaming and risen in console gaming.

it sucks tho, I often get quite hyped up to play a game and when I finally do I get tired, unconcentrated and bored. Meh :smile:

Definitely. I play a lot less nowadays, like most of you. Lack of time and interesting games.

It comes and goes for me, I get a few months where I'm just not interested in playing anything and then I'll load up an old game I like and the next thing I know I'm replaying every game I like back to back. :)

I think ya just gotta step back from it once in a while.

Back