HardOCP review up

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by galperi1, May 4, 2004.

1. galperi1

Newcomer

2. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Yeah...the Pro in particular is looking more and more like a great deal :!: I was also pleased to see that [H] did BOTH their new "best settings" method, and a bit of "apples to apples" as well.

3. Atomahawk

Newcomer

I'll second that, the pro on par with the 6800U is nothing to scoff at, and the XT raised the bar beyond what I thought could be done.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Damn, I'm waiting for the local PC stores to open to see if anyone has 'em! :shock:

Great review by Brent, I really liked it. Well balanced and it showed a lot, and I WANNA BUY THE CARD AFTER READING IT!!!!!! :lol:

The Pro looks to be a pretty decent OCer too:

MUST UPGRADE NOW!!! [​IMG]

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yes I am surprised, given all these 50/50 benchmark results we are getting, that [H] (of all places) puts both the X800XT and X800Pro above the 6800U when it comes to actually playing games.

6. PatrickL

Veteran

For now i just read Dave preview and need more aspirin before read more reviews :)

7. DeathKnight

Regular

Damn, the Pro is looking like a pretty sweet buy :) If the price falls to somewhere near $300 soon I'm going to definately think about buying it.

8. Sabastian

Regular

Yes that was a fine review. Well done. They took pains for actual simultaneous performance/IQ testing. A greater challenge indeed but really gives us a better idea of how well these cards work outside of straight benchmarks. Another thing I thought was admirable was the fact they did not use the drivers NV sent them that cause a lot of problems with the graphics.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw

I think it would be best if all reviews ignored buggy drivers in the same manner. Kudos to [H] for that.

9. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Kudos Brent, a fine job!

10. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Ah... was looking forward to this review the most (sorry Dave!). A "playability"-centered assessment always looked like it would be the best way of showing off what the XT PE is really capable of in relation to NV4x. The Pro memory overclock, in particular, is very encouraging.

Great reviews from both B3D and [H]. :)

11. fallguy

Veteran

Great review. Im glad they listened to their readers, and did an apples to apples comparison. I think that will make everyone happy. Its good to know its not "my way or the highway". One of the best reviews out, in my opinion.

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yeah, I really liked that too. Brent stayed true to the way he wanted to start reviewing cards and expanded on it (I liked the chart on the last page, nice perspective/wrap-up!), and at the same time listened to what people said about his last review and included that apples to apples comparison.

If he would have run them head-to-head on 3dm2k3 & 3dm2k1se I'd have called it absolutely perfect, but as it was it was the best I've read this morning.

(Sorry Dave, yours is great but it's too much above my head at times for me to honestly say it was better. It was more in-depth and I'll be digesting it over the next few weeks trying to figure it out, which is a big plus; but Brent's seemed to give me a better feel for what the card can do a lot easier and I left the review wanting to run out and buy a card. )

13. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

There's great stuff in all the reviews I've seen so far, but I personally just need to know one single thing: Will I be able to start Flight Sim 2004, select 2048 x 768 or some such double wide resolution, and get full screen 3D accelerated video on two monitors? Or will it just be 2*1024x768 again, like it was with my 9800 Pro? Nvidia can do both types of dualhead gaming, and the horizontal spanning support is the one reason I'm still using their cards.

14. nelg

Veteran

Agreed.[H]’s style of reviewing is best suited for ATI this round.

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yeah, but we'll all be going back to Dave's later as the new features are exposed to understand what they all are. ;)

Between the two of them, I really felt like I got to know this new card in a hurry. Great job and thanks to both.

16. mondoterrifico

Newcomer

So it looks like to me at least it breaks down like this:

Nvidia: Bulkier, slightly noisier, consumes more power, offers slightly worse IQ, and is a little slower.

ATI: Doesn't support pixel shader 3.0.

I think ATI's marketing team will have an easier time again this round.

17. Sabastian

Regular

18. Bjorn

Veteran

I found this type of review to be VERY annoying. Especially since best resolution/FSAA and so forth is so very different from person to person. Some people like higher res and lower FSAA, some people have LCD's and have to use the native res and so forth.

Annoying is perhaps not the right word though, they are after all pretty much the only site doing this type of reviews and some people seem to like them :)

19. Atomahawk

Newcomer

Brent did a great job on that review, one of the best non overly technical reviews out there. Of course Daves always the best in that arena, just wish I could understand more of it, but then again you can't know everything right :D

20. AOS

AOS
    Newcomer

Brent did a great job on the review. However, I am quite disappointed that the forums over there have been down for quite sometime.