Hardest game ever you couldn't stop playing anyway.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 20, 2009.

1. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

@Everyone that nomatied the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.. how did you guys play? I always played with Stick (dogfight) and Mouse (bombing/precision shots) and found it sometimes hard, but never frustrating.

As a game I would Say Final Fantasy X. but since this is PC Only... hmm... Operation Flashpoint.

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

In old LucasArts X-Wing game there was this mission where you had as mission to take out a battleship. Mission was incredibly hard with me ending up almost alone to take out this battleship. And my small fighter didn't really had much to drain the strong shields nor hold against the vast laser battery defence it had.

Only way I actually finished it was to do something radical. Yep I redirected all energy to engine to boost speed and then positioned myself at the rear of the battleship. Very close to the engine exhausts where the laser defence couldn't reach me. From here I redirected all energy to laser cannons and unloaded everything against the battleship while carefully following it while it tried to shake me off. Took me IIRC 10-15min to bring it down with constant laser firing.

3. DudeMiester

Regular

4. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

That sounds a lot like how I would take down any Corvette! :D (watch out for engine wash!)

What they actually wanted you to do is take out it's (turbo)laser turrets, much like you would take out the shield generators on a Star Destroyer. Varying your Angle of Attack to accommodate for the defensive fire, It's completely possible for one fighter or Bomber loaded with just Torpedoes to take out a Frigate. But things like that were much harder in your unshielded TIE than in any rebel craft.

5. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I just didn't manage to do it and neither my wing mates. I guess I suck but I think it was a Nebulon B frigate that was the target in that mission. So hard to just take off the turbo laser turrets. XD

6. PhilB

Regular

The hardest game I possibly ever played is/was halo 2 on legendary. The first mission is ungodly difficult. I did finsh it though but towards the end I ended up just running past enemies instead of fighting them. It's even possible to make the game even more difficult by using skulls to unlock things like mythic difficulty. Insane.

7. dizietsma

Banned

What I was thinking straight away. As a young boy I watched someone really good and the whole screen was just filled with flying "shrapnel"

It had the best most memorable sound effects too.

Dream job in those days was arcade machine tester for one of the big manufacturers, imagine how good those guys would have been .. sigh

8. accidentalsuccess

Newcomer

x-wing just flat out 0wn3d me back in the day. And I was a hardcore wing commander fan (also not easy games....I miss that series).

Halo2 on legendary was extremely hard in some parts, especially if you run out of 'nades. Never beat it on legendary.

9. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Wing Commander (and the under-appreciated Strike Commander) was the bomb at that time, basically everything Origin put out back then.
    I remember seeing an ad in a gamesmag back then, with minimum requirements a 386SX-25 and thinking to myself it wouldn't work.
    I went for a RAM upgrade (from 1 to a whopping 2 MegaBytes on my 286-16 and then saw guys playing X-Wing in the background. some shooting and then looking around the cockpit and seeing the starfield&debris.. I fell in love with it. immediately bought it and loved it ever since. Even though I was below specs the game ran fine on it's lowest settings.

10. thambos

Newcomer

Shinobi for PS2

11. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    x-wing was good, but it was not a patch, IMHO, on Descent.

/me, however, imagines a marriage of the two: Take the Laser/Shield/Engine balance controls of X-Wing with the mazes/missiles/multiplayer etc of Descent ...

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Descent co-op was fantastic, very challenging.

13. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, on the second easiest of the 5 difficulty levels. Didn't help the game love to crash randomly on me too at the time. F5 [quicksave] became my best friend for both reasons. >:/

14. Davros

Legend

Davros beats Simon over the head with a copy of Freespace 2 Er, apart from the mazes bit

15. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I'm officially adding Dragon Age to this list.

Son'bitch is hard. Does anybody here play it on it's hardest difficulty?

16. L233

Veteran

Strike Command in particular ran like crap on anything short of a 486DX2-50, which was the fastest CPU back then . I had a 486DX-33 and it was barely playable. The minimum requirements were a 386 but I found it to be unplayable even on a 40 Mhz 386.

17. Davros

Legend

First game to use Goraud shading

18. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Gouraud shading, first in SC?

19. Davros

Legend

yes

To quote the creator, Chris Roberts: "To make RealSpace truly revolutionary we decided to gamble on two major graphics techniques: Gouraud shading and texture mapping. Both of these techniques are used extensively on high-end military flight simulators costing millions of dollars... "

20. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Star Wars Rebellion and X-Com UFO Defense. Strategy games with learning curves oh my.

Oh and X-Wing of course. There's nothing quite like not knowing what the hell you're supposed to even do to win a mission. :)