Harddrive recovery - someone shoot my dumb self please!!

Npl

Veteran
I just considered installing and setting up a HDD replacement for my noisy 160GB Samsung. Beeing a bit tired I thought it would be best since I could watch TV while Windows installs.

Well, I thought so.

Opening case, taking out the old HDD, cleaning the case a bit, then putting the apparently new drive into the case. Fine so far. Now to get the SATA Controller to realise my new HDD - dint work, apparently he dint realise theres a new HDD. after fiddling with Bios, setting jumpers for SATA1 compatibility, connecting/replacing the cable a few times and a few curses later, I decided to hit another option in the SATA Bios - Lowlevel Format.
At the same instant, severe pain struck my head, and I subconciously panned my view over to the desk: There it was, still in its virgin case - the new drive I thought I had just installed. The Bios was right after all.
IM A GODDAMN STUBID SOB!!!

I jumped out of Lowlevel format ASAP after 1% done. Now im struggling to get some data back. Those "light" recovery tools (which "undelete" on a valid partition) dont do anything.
I need something stronger, I hope there is even a way to detect file-boundarys on NTFS with the structure damaged? Any recommendations for programms?

God, this hurts so much I cant tell :cry: :cry: :cry:

Most of the data can be recovered, but it's likely to be a jumbled mess. Do you know your prior partitioning exactly?

Most of the data can be recovered, but it's likely to be a jumbled mess. Do you know your prior partitioning exactly?
yes, got the sectors from my linux partition (other HDD) - besides its just 1 single partition - most of my data resides(ded) on it :cry:

edit: Im currently runing R-Studio demo, which apparently already found a few tenthousand files, but no names for them and some "NTFS Folder Entries". Its about 60% through, I'll pony up the money in no time if it does a good job (including a good part of filenames).

Seems its not the desaster I feared. Nearly everything was recovered, and 1000s of previously deleted files as well. But I still have to check every file for completeness (no missing/corrupt blocks) - pretty annoying and it will likely take ages to do.

Back