Happy with the Games of 2008

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I just saw this to p10 best selling list of PS3 games on Play.com, and while I'm not a fan of all the titles, it makes me happy simply because its so well-rounded, and shows that this holiday has an excellent lineup:

Call Of Duty: World At War
Guitar Hero: World Tour - Band Bundle (with FREE Wireless Bass Guitar Controller)
LittleBigPlanet (with Play.com Exclusive Nariko Character)
Official Sony Blu-ray Remote Control for PS3
Sony PS3 Black DualShock 3 Wireless Controller
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
SingStar: ABBA (Solus)
FIFA 09
Mirror's Edge
James Bond: Quantum Of Solace

Other people also think that this is one of the best holiday seasons in a while?

I just saw this to p10 best selling list of PS3 games on Play.com, and while I'm not a fan of all the titles, it makes me happy simply because its so well-rounded, and shows that this holiday has an excellent lineup:

Call Of Duty: World At War
Guitar Hero: World Tour - Band Bundle (with FREE Wireless Bass Guitar Controller)
LittleBigPlanet (with Play.com Exclusive Nariko Character)
Official Sony Blu-ray Remote Control for PS3
Sony PS3 Black DualShock 3 Wireless Controller
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
SingStar: ABBA (Solus)
FIFA 09
Mirror's Edge
James Bond: Quantum Of Solace

Other people also think that this is one of the best holiday seasons in a while?

I guess that counts pre-orders, since Mirror's Edge is only out tomorrow in the EU.

More or less; I've been vaguely disappointed by most of the big titles I've played so far. Still a good year.

Some of those aren't even titles, so I guess that's only a Top 8.

Out of the 8 only 1 is a must buy for me and it's mostly for the wife (LBP) although no doubt I'll be playing it a lot as well.

I'm really close to picking up Motorstorm 2 as well, mostly due to the positive comments from the posters here.

Of those on the rest of the list, I probably will be picking up GHWT as well in addition to RB2 but for the 360. I'm still trying to figure which bundle I will pick up and which will be the standalone game.

Dont really know about that, i guess if you only owned a PS3 its the best line up in years simply because 2007 and 2006 had allmost no games.

I say, its a rather normal year.

Dont really know about that, i guess if you only owned a PS3 its the best line up in years simply because 2007 and 2006 had allmost no games.

I say, its a rather normal year.

I own a PS3 and 360 is this is not a normal year IMO. 2006 had a couple of good games, 2007 a few more, this year there are an easy ten games to chose from. I already have a backlog and there are 5+ games I have shoved until 2009.

There are an outrageous number of good games from September until the end of the year. I think the 360 lineup is better, but there are very good games on both platforms. Wii seems to have only shit now.

I think it's better than normal (all three consoles and a PC rig) at least so far. FarCry2 was a disappointment, but R2, LBP, Gears2, Mirror's Edge, Motorstorm2, Call of Duty make for more top-level titles than I've seen in a while.

Let's see, so far I have:

Spore (Played a bit)
Warhammer: Online (Scenario RvR rocks!)
Dead Space (Finished)
Eternal Sonata (Played a bit)
Fable 2 (Unplayed)
Fallout 3 (Unopened)
LittleBigPlanet (Played a bit)
CnC Red Alert 3 (Played a bit)
Resistance 2 (Currently Playing)
Gears of War 2 (Unopened)
Mirror's Edge (Unopened, Starting tonight)
Valkryia Chronicles (Unopened)

Games I may pick up in the near future:

Rock Band 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Sacred 2
Tales of Vesperia
Left4Dead
Need for Speed: Undercover
MKvsDC (let's see the reviews first)
Prince of Persia
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Persona 4

Definitely not a typical year, especially when five of the games I've bought in the past six weeks are new IPs.

It didn't feel like it had as many "huge" games as 2007 to me.

Maybe cus 07 had Halo..

Also, Ass Creed, COD4, Orange Box, etc.

I just looked at this year (from a 360 owners perspective) as one really big game (Gears 2) and then some second tier blockbusters that I wasnt too excited about (Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, etc).

And I might get crap for this comment, but I didn't see anything huge hitting for PS3 either. Nothing on the level of MGS4 or KZ2.

If KZ2 and RE5 had hit in winter instead of February+, maybe it would have challenged 07..

Fable 2, Gears 2 and then Left 4 Dead all within 1 month, hell yeah 2008 rocks!

Then again, Halo 3, CoD4 and Mass Effect go toe to toe with this years lineup.

From a combined standpoint, I 'd say there is probably less than 10 games that I would have picked up by the end of 2008.

My list would probably go like:

Gears 2 (already got)
Fable 2
LBP
KZ2 (will wait and see, but likely will buy)
RB2
GHWT
Left 4 Dead (loved the demo)

possibly:
Motorstorm 2
Tales of Vesperia
Banjo and Kazooie

I'm in the camp that says 2007 was an even bigger year than 2008 - the gaming window was so consistent for the last half of last year, where I'm still trying to catch up on many games I wanted to play (PGR4, Katamari, Ace Combat are all in my pile of barely touched second hand pickups). When I think of Bioshock, Orange Box (easily 40+ hours of gaming there), Mass Effect, Halo and many others in such a narrow window, it really was a crazy time.

This year there's lots of great games too - however I'm yet to reach the same level of flooding as last year. One thing I will note is many of the games that are coming out this year are pushing for shorter experiences (less than 6 for Mirror's Edge, about 10 for Dead Space, etc) where last year many games could tide you over for months.

I can appreciate that if you didn't own a 360 last year you might not appreciate all the amazing games that came out then however. I hope newer 360 owners dive into the back catalogue, since there are many amazing experiences this gen.

Aye been a good year regarding game variety and amount. Spent 300$ the previous month on games and cant find time to play half of them... what a waste! ^^

2007 had quite a few big titles imo..

Mass Effect
CoD 4
Orange Box
Bioshock
Halo 3
Uncharted
Forza Motorsport 2
Crysis
Assassin Creed
Super Mario Galaxy
PGR4
Guitar Hero 2
Rock band?

im sure people can add to this if you want to compare. I still think 2008 is just another average year, unless you only owned a PS3 in 2007

Back