Happy birthday BASIC!

DarN said:
No, not B3d Basic, but the BASIC computer language is 40 yrs old... Happy birthday!

Heh. I learned it when I was 12. Made an asterisk go from the bottom of the screen to the top. That's how far my first and only "game" got though... :)
What?
10 Print "*"
20 Print
30 goto 20

:)

Seriously though, it took a few months in University to "undo" the damage BASIC had done to my ideas of programming :)

Simon F said:
What?
10 Print "*"
20 Print
30 goto 20
It was a fair bit longer actually. I think I was trying to see how many commands I could put in there or something. :LOL:

Happy birthday :)

My first language was the 8080 assembly, JMPs everywhere :LOL: My second language was ... Pascal ;)

Unfortunatelly during the 80s I did not have a computer at home to learn BASIC, but many friends were using some Z80 based boards (sinclair) with Basic.

I learned a68k on the Amiga some 9 years after my BASIC game, then C++ only a few years ago, and with that came delphi, java, C# etc. I haven't dared do anything 3d related though. Maybe I can make a D3D9 asterisk...

It's my first programming language, too. I wrote some programs in GW-BASIC on my 8088 computer. I once tried to write a window UI (text based), but it ended up with "insufficient memory" then I decided to go C directly, along with some 8088 assembly.

Ahh, yeah, I sold my first ever program written in SINCLAIR BASIC. It was a game for the ZX81 written in (wait for it) 1K of memory! It was actually sold to a book, as the code was so short you could type it in :)

Hm. Visual Basic, GW-BASIC and SINCLAIR BASIC. Makes me wonder just how many strains really exist of the language. Did everyone make their own? :)

I really don't remember if I used any "specialized" version. I can't even remember the name of the computer it was on. It predates the AT/XT's though. Black screen and yellow chrs. I think it had possibilities for installing some kind of gfx card. The whole thing was darkish brown. Dual 5 25" ext. floppy. I'm guessing '83-'84 time frame. Any takers?

Print "Happy birthday, BASIC"
INPUT "Do you like BASIC?"; like$
if like$ = "yes" then goto [like] else goto [notLike]

[like]
print "<3"
end

[notLike]
Print ":("
end

:p

Back