Happy B-day, Doom!!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by _xxx_, Dec 12, 2006.

1. sir doris

Regular

IIRC Doom was one of the first PC games I played and the first PC game I completed when I got my first PC in about 1993. It was a i486DX33, VLBus 1MB Cirus Logic Card 250MB Hard Disk and a 14" monitor running DOS 6 and Win 3.1, to which I added an Adlib and Sound blaster compatiable soundcard, man taking the cover off my brand new PC which cost over £1000 was a scarey prospect, had me in a cold sweat lol.

I think I'd bought X-Wing (which incidentily was much inhanced by the later upgrade to a SB16) but couldn't run it after quiting Windows due to lack of XMS or EMS memory, so I invited a PC owning friend over to setup some DOS batch menus. He sorted the menus and installed SW Doom, he'd told me about it but I was that excited because I was expecting Wolf 3D on Mars, after years of playing 2D games and bland 3D games the Doom textures were amazing, the whole thing, graphics, sounds and music were just perfect. Must be by most replayed game by quite some margin.

2. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Hmm... I don't know if perfect would be the way I'd describe it. The texture aliasing used to drive me crazy.

3. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wow, 7th guest... long time ago. One of the first CD-ROM based pre-rendered adventure/mystery games I believe?

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It was live action green screen with rendered backgrounds.

Regards,
    SB

5. Sxotty

Veteran

So funny thing for me and doom. When I first played it (a friend gave it to me) I thought I could IDSPISPOPD my way to the mountains you see by that armor in the pool. Needless to say I walked and walked, but they never got any closer :).

6. ban25

Veteran

Great game. I fondly remember reading the FAQ in anticipation. I wrote a launcher for multiplayer DOOM 1/II that was distributed on local BBSes. These days I play jDOOM with all the same classic WADs. Some of my favorites include the DANZIG maps (deathmatch), UAC_DEAD, UACBASE, IDMAP01, MALL, WTRFRONT, STREET, TRKDOOM, and of course, the Aliens and Star Wars TCs. I used Doom Construction Kit (DCK) to make a lot of my own custom maps.

7. anaqer

Veteran

I remember D(i)CKing around a little, but after failing to make anything past your basic bigbox work within the first half hour, I just put a Cyberdemon into the yard on E1M1 and called it a day. :p

8. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I first played Doom on a NeXTstation Turbo Color - the platform upon which it was developed. Unfortunately no sound :( until the win version came along.