Handheld 3D made easy - Python for S60 w/ GLES extension

jkemp

Newcomer
Python for S60 1.3.14 now includes 'GLES' extension, OpenGL ES module ported to PyS60.

Fetch it from Sourceforge: link to release

Check out the simplecube.py, very easy to create canvas and just start doing GL magic.

This seems cool, but the Python code looked rather strange to me (more accustomed to C/C++/Java :))

Anyway, I'd like to give it a try, but I didn't quite understand how to use the SDK, there was no .exe-files in it, do I need to have some complete S60 SDK installed first?

For quick start download following files and install them to your phone (assuming S60 3rd edition device):
* Python dll
* script shell

After installing, Python icon will appear in your installations menu. Start that and you have a shell where you can directly input python or load .py scripts from phone/memorycard (left soft key for menu). You will get some demo apps within those installation packages, including two OpenGL ES examples.

Edit: you can also create standalone installations from .py scripts, check out Forum Nokia Python for S60 area for details.

Yeah, I got it running on the phone (by installing the SIS-files), but I assumed you could do some PC debugging/testing before downloading by using the SDK which had a whole bunch of DLLs and whatnot included.

Btw. the fullscreen mode on my 6630 seems to suffer from the same bug I have experienced while coding J2ME - setting fullscreen does not immediately return correct size (176x208), instead it stays at 176x144 for a while. This means that if you do some stuff like "getHeight()" it will return the wrong value for a couple of frames. I thought this was a J2ME-specific bug, but the Python stuff has the exact same bug.

Back