Halo Wars trailer (Halo RTS)

That's all FMV. I think the whole point was to announce it and get Halo fans excited.

*worked on me

It's a CG trailer....

It does however give me hope for this game.... it could be really good. I wonder how involved bungie are with it from a creative aspect, I can't imagine them handing over their baby willingly without retaining a fair amount of control.

Yes, professionally created CG trailers tend to be that way. It is interesting, of course. I'll play a Halo RTS, even though it's not really my type of game (My younger brother can't get enough of that stuff, though). Looking at some of the forums, it seems to have REALLY piqued some interest from people who just didn't care before. Kinda surprising, IMO, but then again, I shouldn't be so surprised.

I wonder how involved bungie are with it from a creative aspect, I can't imagine them handing over their baby willingly without retaining a fair amount of control.

Bungie has been working with Ensemble primarily in the area of the game's fiction to help inspire the story and ensure continuity with the existing Halo Universe. Aside from that, Ensemble is applying their skills to deliver a great Halo experience in a whole new genre, which is ironically where Halo began in the first place.

Frankly, Ensemble is one of very few folks on Earth that we would trust with our baby, and that trust is doubled thanks to the excellence of the Age of Empires franchise.

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=bungieatx06

Not really related to Halo Wars per-say, but did anybody else notice how much darker the Covenant looked in this trailer compared to how they have looked in the previous Halo games. Maybe this is just Ensembles interpretation of the Halo universe or Bungie has a much darker world planed for Halo 3 and they want the other games based in this universe to portray that.

Increased detail will almost always demand increased realism, the only other option is to go towards stylized looks. Square for example walks a very fine line with their FF art, whit realistic shading and lighting and enviroments, but stylized, idealized characters.

Now I'm sure most of us would rather not see toon shaded Covenant troops... ;) but I'm still curious about the art direction of Halo 3. What we've seen from Master Chief so far was not exactly to my liking...

Not really related to Halo Wars per-say, but did anybody else notice how much darker the Covenant looked in this trailer compared to how they have looked in the previous Halo games. Maybe this is just Ensembles interpretation of the Halo universe or Bungie has a much darker world planed for Halo 3 and they want the other games based in this universe to portray that.

They've definitely got a different art direction. Even the wallpapers show the different design of the Mark VI armour - it's got that shoulder-checking armour piece from some medieval game... :LOL: The Elites they show are like the steroid-highschool football jockeys. :p

Ensemble? Ugh... While AoE2 is classic and AoM was fun enough, AoE3 distinctly unimpressed me. Perhaps I was a bit of a victim of over-psyching, but they mainly showed gameplay, balance, and conceptual slippage.

Now if it were RELIC we were talking about here... There'd be some excitement! :D I'd even give more credence to Mad Doc or Big Huge. (And Creative Assembly, of course, but I don't really see the Halo universe fit into their style. ;) )

There's one difference between those studios and Ensemble - none of them are owned by Microsoft like Ensemble is. :p

Now if it were RELIC we were talking about here... There'd be some excitement! :D

Yeah I hear you loud and clear there! :D

Still, I think the Halo universe could/should map very well to an RTS environment, so IMO Ensemble would be hard-pressed to screw this up.

Back