Halo Master Chief Collection [H:MCC] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Oh, I thought you were already talking about H2A since that was what the video was about (older than H2A would still be H3/H4, even if confusing). Yes, CE was remastered already in 2011 (CEA). It's being ported for this collection.

Was the 2011 Anniversary port for PC or have I missed an entire re-lease for Xbox 360? :???:

This has passed me by completely!! But I was deployed abroad a fair bit in 2011, it was like the year didn't even happen!

Ok, so I expect Halo 3 may be the graphical low-point, but if Halo CE and Halo 2 and Halo 4 then I think that'll do for me. Not that graphics are everything but at this point it'd still be cheaper to buy a 360 and these games and I'm throwing on reasons to justify an Xbox One ;)

CEA wasn't that great. It was a bizarre art direction while the MC and Keyes models manage to look worse than anything H3 ever did. On the other hand, it's very colourful and does have a fair bit of dynamic lighting & shadowing going on. Some of the levels look very good considering.

At least H3 has some nice lighting, and it'll hopefully be pretty clean @ 1080p60 (shader aliasing aside). They need to use a more modern post-AA though.

I'd better wait until they show more then. But I'll keep an open mind. If you ever played the original version that they shipped for Windows and Mac.. wow.. that's ancient. And that's the only version of CE that I every played. And I played it a lot!

Anyone know if the all the MP maps from Halo PC will be included too? Gearbox designed some absolutely awesome MP maps that I'd love to play again (Death Island, Danger Canyon, and Ice Fields come to mind).

I'd better wait until they show more then. But I'll keep an open mind. If you ever played the original version that they shipped for Windows and Mac.. wow.. that's ancient. And that's the only version of CE that I every played. And I played it a lot!

Haha yeah... I quite enjoyed the EAX sound (for CE) at the time. Just too bad they didn't have proper widescreen support.

I also remember how awful both games ran on my PC despite being a few times more powerful than Xbox... >_> (that Radeon driver update was great though, +20-25% perf).

Halo 2 was a weird one at times - maybe it was the streaming engine.

Anyone know if the all the MP maps from Halo PC will be included too? Gearbox designed some absolutely awesome MP maps that I'd love to play again (Death Island, Danger Canyon, and Ice Fields come to mind).

Yup. Everything is now included (initially a couple of the maps were not, but it seems they've worked out something).

Haha yeah... I quite enjoyed the EAX sound (for CE) at the time. Just too bad they didn't have proper widescreen support.
The Mac port had the same limitation, crazily faithful to the original ;) It ran pretty well though, I first played Halo on a 12" PowerBook G4 with GeForce 9400M.

Cutting edge man, it was the future [of Xbox].

CEA wasn't that great. It was a bizarre art direction while the MC and Keyes models manage to look worse than anything H3 ever did. On the other hand, it's very colourful and does have a fair bit of dynamic lighting & shadowing going on. Some of the levels look very good considering.

At least H3 has some nice lighting, and it'll hopefully be pretty clean @ 1080p60 (shader aliasing aside). They need to use a more modern post-AA though.

Yeah, Halo 3 will look lovely. Sierra 117 is such a good looking level. Having it at 1080p/60fps will be amazing. The poly budget for characters not named MC or Arbiter will really stand out. I do hope they adopt SMAA or whatever Crytek implemented in Ryse. At 1080p it will look pristine.

I am more interested to see how Halo 4 looks at 1080p/60fps. It was already really good looking on the 360. Frankie did mention that it looks a whole lot better. They did mention some lighting and texture improvement.

I am really looking forward to this collection.

Really dark and extremely blinding bloom and god rays at 60 times a second. ;)

Yes the bloom in Halo4 can be quite painful on the eyes. I really havent noticed the game being that dark though. There are some very pretty levels in H4 that dont have that bloom.
Halo 2 & 3 need the most help visually in my opinion so Im glad the full anniversary treatment is in effect on 2. H3's main problem is aliasing which hopefully will partially fixed byy the increase in resolution alone.

Well, lovable, endearing Bonnie Ross :love: :love: has said that the changes are very noticeable for Halo 3 and 4 too.

640p30 to 1080p60 should be pretty noticeable. :p

I could see them changing some shaders here and there during the porting process.

Would be neat if they added better motion blur, but they should really take care of the edge aliasing and texture filtering... and that reminds me, the shadow draw distance. -_- Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out since they're still working within the confines of the old engine and also don't want anything to break (much).

640p30 to 1080p60 should be pretty noticeable. :p

I could see them changing some shaders here and there during the porting process.

Would be neat if they added better motion blur, but they should really take care of the edge aliasing and texture filtering... and that reminds me, the shadow draw distance. -_- Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out since they're still working within the confines of the old engine and also don't want anything to break (much).
Yes, it has to be. Several fellow forumers mentioned the aliasing of Halo 3 as a problem. It wasn't just that, but the pixel crawling in long distances was very severe.

I remember getting to the dam part in the first level of Halo 3 and everything was a pixelated mess in the distance. At those resolutions, even the jump to 720p is noticeable. And this was in my new 32" TV. I had greater memories of Halo 3 than that.

But at 1080p everything should be seen in the distance without pixel crawling at all.

Do you believe they are going to keep the incredible HDR lighting from Halo 3, which we never saw ever since in any X360 game?

I wonder if that effect can be replicated on the eSRAM, and it seemed to be very bandwidth intensive.

Back