Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

In case it has not been said yet, i wonder the most about the hex columns seen in the actual gameplay, but not present when above trailer was produced.
It almost looks like they would have started working on the actual game only after that, but totally from scratch.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/campaign-evolved
From the earliest planning where we focused on broad feedback around art style and story to actual hands-on playtesting and focus feedback with confidential groups of community representatives over the past two years, Halo Infinite is being created in partnership with the community.

Could be a hint of sorts as to their development schedule. Maybe.

I feel like I'm the only one that noticed the un-skinned joints for the brute's shoulders and legs. They shamelessly just intersect with the torso 1990's style. They didn't take the time to make a better version even for the ending cutscene monologue.

Ahem. This is not a game comparison thread, so let's not go there.

I thought it looked great until I got on here & Twitter & read other people's reactions. Though I did I watch a couple live reactions & they thought the same thing. It looked a like great return to early Halo. Halo 1 & 3 aesthetic but open-world. <shrug>

Tommy McClain

I feel bad for the people who spent years of their lives on this for it to get such a poor reception. I really do. It must be disheartening. Somewhere along the way the executive types, the project leads made some bad decisions. That or the sdk is just in terrible shape like it was at the launch of Xbox One. I really don’t understand how they wouldn’t predict this reaction to the gameplay.

I feel bad for the people who spent years of their lives on this for it to get such a poor reception. I really do. It must be disheartening. Somewhere along the way the executive types, the project leads made some bad decisions. That or the sdk is just in terrible shape like it was at the launch of Xbox One. I really don’t understand how they wouldn’t predict this reaction to the gameplay.
I also don't understand how whoever green lit this didn't see that there was a problem. Then you have Phil Spencer saying last month after the Sony event that he was happy with what they had to show in July. If Phil was happy with this, Phil Spencer needs to lose his job imo.

I also don't understand how whoever green lit this didn't see that there was a problem. Then you have Phil Spencer saying last month after the Sony event that he was happy with what they had to show in July. If Phil was happy with this, Phil Spencer needs to lose his job imo.

Its possible that his public statement and internal statements are different.

Its also possible that this halo infinite visual quality is already on target, so be genuinely was happy with the result.

The art direction looks to be deliberately want to make things pop, really pop. The lack of shadows, the really bright colored enemies even when in shadow area, the light emitting stuff like explosion that doesn't light up the environment. Seems deliberate for more "cartoony" look.

Hmm, I wonder if we use reshade or enb to run the game on cell shading mode like zelda botw cell shading, it probably looks more pleasing to me.

Yah, it doesn't make sense to me. They really talked up this event like they were going to be revealing all of these games and have actual game play to show after the feedback from the first event. Then we get this Halo reveal which just doesn't cut it for the purposes of selling the hardware.

Yah, it doesn't make sense to me. They really talked up this event like they were going to be revealing all of these games and have actual game play to show after the feedback from the first event. Then we get this Halo reveal which just doesn't cut it for the purposes of selling the hardware.
It's even worse when you hear afterwards that everything was on PC. Nothing was shown on the XBSX. But as Eastman said, it was a Xbox Showcase not a Xbox Series X Showcase. They might as well have called it the Xbox Gamepass Showcase.

It's like someone trolled him and sent him clip of halo 3 or something.

At least he doesn't know that it was running on pc. Might've been to much for him to handle.
He updated and pinned his OP comment earlier today to include that he found out it was running on PC.

reminds me of E5 2005, all Xbox360 games were running on Mac hardware or something, and ran like poop, then actual games were much better, but yeah it was not a good first look of the console back then. Gears of war was running like 15fps.
But in the end it's better that way than insane fake CGI trailers like mortorstorm or killzone 2 at E5 2005 ^^

Its possible that his public statement and internal statements are different.

Its also possible that this halo infinite visual quality is already on target, so be genuinely was happy with the result.

Ok, but then why didn't they show that off instead. Even if it was on PC, it would have looked miles better. Actually if you go look at the small Halo trailer that Cherno watched, you can actually see that the games graphics is much better than what they showed off in the 8min. demo. So why did they use the 4 month old demo instead of the later/latest version off? It boggles my mind that they let this through.

reminds me of E5 2005, all Xbox360 games were running on Mac hardware or something, and ran like poop, then actual games were much better, but yeah it was not a good first look of the console back then. Gears of war was running like 15fps.
But in the end it's better that way than insane fake CGI trailers like mortorstorm or killzone 2 at E5 2005 ^^

How is it better? All of the xbox games were cgi trailers or concept renders except for Halo Infinite. Halo Infinite was the only Xbox studio game they showed gameplay for, and it was not a good showcase.

What I don't understand is the quality of the assets. Like, ok, you have limitations in your lighting system, but why does everything look so low polygon? Like, couldn't they ship higher quality assets for Series X and PC than they do on Xbox One? It really looks like an old game running in backwards compatibility mode. I know it's open world. I know it's 60fps. But the quality of the assets just isn't there. Some people say the whole world looks like it was built in Forge editor, and it kind of does. It looks like it was all built very fast without much polish. The trees look very much like they are just cut and paste. All of the ground and rocks look very simple. The grass seems to be drawn in screen space, and it doesn't move. Like, why not show the warthog driving through the edge of a stream with water splashing and cool water shading? Maybe it's in there, but honestly probably not. I feel like they would have shown it. Why does the particle system look so ... bad. That's something that can easily be scaled from Xbox One to Series X/PC.

i was not talking about the whole conference, only about the Halo showcase, but to choose, i prefer seeing a game in bad shape that will get better over time than a fake CGI trailer from the start (and some PR saying it was indeed gameplay).

Personally I've already moved on from my disappointment. I'm confident that over time 343 will improve how the games looks. The ball was dropped for sure but I'm willing to wait and see what the game looks like at release and eventually when it gets an RT update. I get the disappointment but I have strong feeling that the majority of people who appear to be most concerned about how the game looks probably had no intention of playing it anyway.

I'd love to see tilesets with rain and snow. Wonder how varied the game will be at launch.

As far as on-going content, I'm wondering if it's still Chief-centric or if you create your own Spartan to upgrade over time as a new iteration of Spartan Ops.

Back