Halloween 2020

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm not sure if other countries celebrate Halloween or not, but in the USA it's a huge tradition of children going door to door getting candy from all the neighbors. I'm sort of boggled that my town and all the others around us are still having it, but I guess it's ok since Trump ended the pandemic according to him?

I'm not playing this year and feel bad about it, but I REALLY think it's a bad plan. Decided to put up some signs to discourage trick or treaters:

Halloween2020.jpg

My daughter is going a bit more extreme....

Halloween20202.jpg

Happy halloween everybody, please stay safe!

Even here tonight the doorbel rang six times. We just put up a bowl outside with instructions and my 12yo son was the one opening the door and pointing to the instructions. In that sense I think it was mostly ok.

People
Again, WHY!?!?

People generally thinks COVID19 is not a problem, except when their direct family got it and dies.

And this is not just for uneducated person. Even people with education degrees, people with high intellectual jobs like a news editor, doesn't think COVID19 too seriously.

Heck, some doctors even doesn't think covid as something serious.

Reality is really weird. There's no new normal. It's normal life.

(at least in Indonesia)

Edit:
Btw for some people working from home is a torture. They need daily dose of social interaction with multiple real people. They also need to explore the world (window shopping, eating, etc).

People generally thinks COVID19 is not a problem, except when their direct family got it and dies.

People also generally don't think that pnemonia is a problem, until their direct family gets it and dies. Or the Flu. Or Rabies. Or Malaria. Or Sugar. Or alcohol. Or...

Everything in life is choosing the what risks you're willing to take and what risk you're exposed to. Second hand smoke is a major health risk, but even though I live in a "smoke free" environment, smoke still comes into my place because people outside on a public sidewalk are smoking.

Edited to make it slightly more complicated

Yup, just like people who smoke, people that drive while talking on the phone or even worse texting, people that cross the street without looking out for oncoming traffic, people that don't have their pets on a leash when they go outside, people that go to work with the flu, people that don't use their turn signals when moving into a different lane while driving, bicyclists that don't understand that they might be in the blind spot of a car before they swerve in front of a motor vehicle, etc.

It's admirable that we're trying to prevent the spread of the disease, but at what cost to society? And people expect the government to take care of them while they can't work due to the shutdown? With what money? Bleh.

Regards,
SB

Let's put it this way:

I can refuse to fly on an airplane my whole life because I think the risk is not worth it.

Even then, an airplane can still fall on top of me while I'm quietly watching TV at home.

Corona did not create new problems, it just brought to light old problems people did not want to think through before.

Living incurs risks. Social life incurs even more. And there are things other people do regardless of your opinion that bring about risks TO YOU. Yes, it sucks, its not fair, but it is what it is. We are all effecting other people's lives in ways we don't even imagone all the time too. I don't personaly believe in god, but that is a good time to look at him and ask for forgiveness. We all are doing our best.

have a good one.

nice false equivalence buddha
If other people refuse to wear a mask please explain how i'm making a choice

If people choose to smoke around me, please explain how I'm making a choice? I could choose to move away from them, just as you could choose to move away from someone not wearing a mask.

If I'm at work and someone that works next to me comes in while sick, how am I making a choice? I guess I could quit my job?

If I'm driving and someone's dog suddenly runs into the street in front of my car, how am I making a choice? If a kid runs into the street from between 2 parked cars, how am I making a choice? If it's too close to brake safely, I could either run them over or swerve and maybe run someone else over, run into an oncoming car, or crash into a parked car, or who knows what.

If another driver is talking on the phone while driving and runs into me, what choice was I to make?

If a bicyclist runs a red light light as I'm crossing an intersection while driving in traffic, what choice do I make? Luckily for me and them, the last time this happened to me, I was able to brake in time, but it was still a close thing.

In 1992 a driver didn't stop at a stop side and rammed into the side of my driver side door giving me a concussion as my head slammed into the front of his van, what choice could I have made there? Luckily for me he wasn't also speeding when he ran the stop sign or I very well might be dead. I sometimes still freak out a little if someone approaches a stop sign while I'm about to drive by it.

Regards,
SB

We* arranged to go to houses of the kids social bubble at school. Sealed treat bags left outside the front door. Kids still enjoyed dressing up and going out in the dark, eating sweets until their teeth ached.

* Our wives/female partners arranged.

We* arranged to go to houses of the kids social bubble at school. Sealed treat bags left outside the front door. Kids still enjoyed dressing up and going out in the dark, eating sweets until their teeth ached.

* Our wives/female partners arranged.

you go to each house? salute (salute emoji)

If people choose to smoke around me, please explain how I'm making a choice? I could choose to move away from them, just as you could choose to move away from someone not wearing a mask.

If I'm at work and someone that works next to me comes in while sick, how am I making a choice? I guess I could quit my job?

If I'm driving and someone's dog suddenly runs into the street in front of my car, how am I making a choice? If a kid runs into the street from between 2 parked cars, how am I making a choice? If it's too close to brake safely, I could either run them over or swerve and maybe run someone else over, run into an oncoming car, or crash into a parked car, or who knows what.

If another driver is talking on the phone while driving and runs into me, what choice was I to make?

If a bicyclist runs a red light light as I'm crossing an intersection while driving in traffic, what choice do I make? Luckily for me and them, the last time this happened to me, I was able to brake in time, but it was still a close thing.

In 1992 a driver didn't stop at a stop side and rammed into the side of my driver side door giving me a concussion as my head slammed into the front of his van, what choice could I have made there? Luckily for me he wasn't also speeding when he ran the stop sign or I very well might be dead. I sometimes still freak out a little if someone approaches a stop sign while I'm about to drive by it.

Regards,
SB

yeah sometimes (often?) we don't really have a choice.
heck, a few days ago, i attended a marriage party and i made a choice to keep my distance. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut family member keeps going closer and closer. I even to told him to keep a safe distance while gesturing with my arms flailing... no use. I want to raise my voice but i can't, as he was an older family member.

you go to each house? salute (salute emoji)

Despite having zero to do with organising it, I bemoaned the fact that no one had made a map. I had to flick between the address list and gmaps while my wife drove. We did a few outliers but there were a good batch of houses within walking distance of each other. I'm pretty sure the kid who lived 4 miles away from the school got to keep all the sweets. :D

I think since people were bagging up sweets, each house was a bigger haul than it usually is. We did about 12/20 I think.

Last edited:
Back