HalfLife 2, any difference between Console and PC versions?

Is there a comparison shot or are there any confirmed screenshots like "this is running on a ps3 or X360"?
or have they been showing only the pc version till now?

Half life2 rocks on the PC, but I wanted to see how much can the consoles handle? :rolleyes:

Any links or screenshots?

Half-life 2 is 3 years old, consoles run it in its full glory. Looks atleast as good as fully maxxed out pc version, with differences in resolution (as its only 720p on consoles) and AA\AF

Sorry, I meant Episode 2 !

with all the new technologies in there , I wasn't able to run the lakeside tech demo (what was its name?:?:) as smooth as HL@ on my pc. So, I guess the tech has advanced a lot after that , if the same pc can't handle it, can the consoles?

HL2 is said to run at 60fps on 360 and I believe on PS3 as well. It will probably have all the effects added to Episode 2 (also implemented in HL2 and Ep.1), though I think some things like textures, AA/AF might be different (worse) on consoles.
Xbox 1 version had worse graphics but fewer and shorter loadings.

The original game (HL2) definatly has the later installments enhancements on the consoles. So HL2 will look better on consoles than on PC.

EP2 should look the same on both consoles and PC or PC may even get some small improvements. Im not sure whats happening to EP1 as the PC did have some improvements (HDR) over HL2 but EP2 has further improvements like soft shadows.

Its likely EP1 on consoles will get the same enhancements that EP2 features so we can expect that to look better on consoles aswell.

Really ! u think it can look the same on the consoles! I wonder if they have given that so much time, after all HL series has always been a PC fare..

I am not negative or anything but can they give this quality on the consoles with limited ram and graphics power, considering its a PC port

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23927.html

If this is possible on consoles , then I will buy it for the console only, no framerate hassles! :D

(but I doubt it:rolleyes:)

Really ! u think it can look the same on the consoles! I wonder if they have given that so much time, after all HL series has always been a PC fare..

I am not negative or anything but can they give this quality on the consoles with limited ram and graphics power, considering its a PC port

If this is possible on consoles , then I will buy it for the console only, no framerate hassles! :D

Oh, agreed! This stuff is definitely out of the current consoles' league. But maybe the next gen consoles will be able to handle it.

The leaked specs for the 360 don't look too shabby! And it'll be out at the same time as this releases!

I have read that it is 60fps and has HDR. On MSAA... Newell said a long time ago they didn't want to tile and were broaching aliasing a different way... who knows what they decided to do. EDIT: Video link above mentioned dynamic soft shadows in the console versions too.

Is there a comparison shot or are there any confirmed screenshots like "this is running on a ps3 or X360"?
or have they been showing only the pc version till now?

Half life2 rocks on the PC, but I wanted to see how much can the consoles handle? :rolleyes:

Any links or screenshots?

Extra Antia-alising plus 16x AF and 1280x1024 resolution does a lot of difference.

Half Life 2 runs fine on 9800 Pro with 512MB of system RAM so I hardly think consoles will have trouble running it well while improving on the graphics. It is a very old game now afterall.

However EP2 with the dynamic soft shadows and HDR should be quite a bit more taxing on the hardware. Still nothing a next gen console shouldn't be able to handle though. I expect all versions to look identical.

However framerate is obviously down to your hardware and consoles certainly arn't immune to framerate issues. In fact because of the way you can scale graphics its usually the PC that can guarentee a smoother framerate (regardless of system power).

I expect both to look about the same. And I dont see why this game would tax the consoles, I mean it pretty much looks the same as HL2 except their HDr implementation and soft shadows (HL2:EP2). Actually today was the first time I saw HL2:EP2 screenshots and I have to say it actually looks worse than HL2 with bloom mod and Cinematic Mod...huh. :???:

On the new 1up Show they cover the game and they have 360 footage of Episode 2 and TF2. They look like PC versions and are very smooth with exception of footage from a cave, which is very weird because there was little geometry and nothing was happening (yeah there are dynamic shadows in that locations, but that's all...). Maybe it's a bug or something and they'll fix it yet. Other than that, all awe-inspiring outdoors locations had perfect framerate.

I fired my PC version up the other day and noticed how bad the animation looks in some cases. Besides other graphics I hope the animations are improved.
I'm one who is buying the Orange box,I was never able to play HL2 in it's full glory on PC and can't wait to see what it looks and plays like as a big screen experience.

Back