Half-Life2...getting closer...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Joe DeFuria, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Joe DeFuria

Legend

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31249&page=1&pp=15

the quick summary:

1) Today, many Cyber Cafes will have Counterstrike: Source (Beta) up and running as part of the Source Engine beta test.

2) On Monday, the 16th, people who bought Counter Strike: Condition Zero, and people with ATI coupons for Half-Life2 will begin pre-loading CS: Source Beta via steam.

3) On Tuesday, the 17th: Half-Life 2 art, etc. (things that are now frozen for the final game) will start pre-loading via steam. (Obviously, executable code won't be pre-loaded until the game goes gold).

4) On Wednesday the 18th, CS: Source Beta will be turned on for people in group 2.

Hopefully then, one week from today (when the broad beta test starts) we will start getting some decent Source Engine benchmarks. It's possible we may start seeing benchmarks any time now, but they would be via uncontrolled, cyber cafe conditions...not the best.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

My guess is two weeks before HL2 is available. 8)

3. Joe DeFuria

Legend

In all seriousness, it's probably more like 1.5 - 2 months. It'll take a few weeks just to gather feedback from the beta program, and depending on what they find, who knows.

It may be Sept 30th after all. ;)

4. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Well, I've avoided saying this because I didn't want to get into an X vs. X discussion, but I really think HL2 is very likely to be really, really strong in the areas where D3 is weakest--story, story, story...:D Tinkering with D3 settings is quite enjoyable, but HL2 (hopefully) will be the kind of game I really want to play, with story, depth, and character definition out of the yin-yang.

5. wrath of god

Newcomer

walmart.com and ebworld.com have HL2 as available on Sept. 2nd. Don't take the as carved in stone but it gives me hope =]

6. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

i see the light at the end of the tunnel.........i'm so glad hl2 is coming soon to me

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

8. Kaizer

Newcomer

Well, dig, wouldn't that picture come from one of the cyper-café program participants that got their copy activated legally today?

AFAIK, leaking the gamefiles themselves is fairly unuseful, as stated:

And: Half-Life 2 will NOT be pre-loaded completely at once.
    Only the "textures, audio and other stuff that doesn't change" will arrive first.

The developement of the game, though in its last weeks, is still not finished, but I suppose the pre-load distribution event is so big, that they'll use whatever time they have to ensure the roll-out is successful for everyone. This means that no final RC will even exist in ten days.

I'm with Joe on this one.

With Regards
    Kjetil

9. wrath of god

Newcomer

10. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Here's some more info:

[​IMG]

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31398

11. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

I'm not impressed, but that's probably because of the extremely dull CS environment. Any engine would look bad here.

12. PowerK

Regular

Well, at least from those screenshots, graphics are very disappointing. It looks like it's running on the good'ol Quake2 engine! :lol:

13. g__day

Regular

I am looking forward to Half Life 2 - like the rest of the world, but I am far more interested in when the last segment of the code base will be loaded (2 weeks, 2 months etc..) not the first!

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

What are you folks whining about, that screen looks incredible and if it performs half as good as that guy says I'll be doing backflips! :shock:

15. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Last i heard october 18th for release

16. PVR_Extremist

Newcomer

Source JVD?

Surely October 18th is a very conservative estimate given that the game is finished and its bug squashing thats taking place....

I was thinking around Sept 17th as a guestimate....

17. sonix666

Regular

They also released a quite high quality ingame movie on BoomTown. Judging from that movie the game does look incredible enough and still images don't do it justice. In the movie you see subtle specular light reflections on stones and such. And the dust in the hallways is indeed very greatly lighted by the light. And the fighting, movement and deaths really look great. I think we cannot judge graphics yet on these still pictures.

18. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

From what I seen the textures are not that good......when will people learn that high res textures is what its all about (they look like HL 1 textures :( )

19. Reverend

Banned

It will be relased on my birthday, Sept. 16 !! :)

20. DSN2K

Newcomer

its a cheap port, it was never going to be CS2 or HL2 quality for that matter.