Half-Life 3 coming?

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
This is apparently from some E3 material
sudogamer-episode-3-rumour-enhanced.jpg

And then there's this, released on Valves teamfortress blog, in questionnaire regarding mac release of the game
orig_15443_1_1268358925.png

http://screwattack.com/blogs/ScrewAttack-News/Rumor-Valve-cryptically-teasing-Half-life-3
In the full "cover" you can also notice how they underlined only the words "demanded" and "free", which from you can pick "freeman" with little to no imagination involved

Well I'm excited. June 14th? I assume that's an announcement date with a trailer and some screenshots?

The lambda has some sort of artifacts around it which makes me think this is fake. All of the text looks like it was added to an already poor image.

How about releasing HL2 episode 3 first?

Anyway at the speed of which Valve develops games we wont be hearing anything from HL3 before 2015...

The lambda has some sort of artifacts around it which makes me think this is fake. All of the text looks like it was added to an already poor image.
The pic is quite real. What you're seeing are the results of brightening the image significantly. The original image is an orange lambda on almost pure black. They brightened it to bring out the image of the GMan that was embedded in the black. Since it was a JPEG to begin with, the compression artifacts were brought out stronger.

I think the TF2 image is pushing it a bit, though.. people seeing what they want to see.

I don't know about HL3, though. There's still HL2:Ep3 to release. And Portal 2. Assuming those are actually two different games, of course. :devilish:

Yeah I think the story was that instead of having fans wait for 6 years for HL3 they would make 3 episodes for HL2. Ep2 stopped in the middle the story so there has to be a ending. Ofcourse they could have decided to make that into HL3 but than that wouldn't be what they first said.

Anyway I wished they had made HL3 instead of Ep 1 and 2. It's already been 6 years since hl2 came out so by now we would have gotten hl3 than instead of 2 hl2 eps with no ending and no clue as to when ep3/hl3 will come. I still remember the story from valve how episodic content would mean they could get games out faster but instead all that happend is we got a fewer hours of gameplay at a higher price (and less investments for valve).

Yeah, the whole episode schtik has been giant fail on a huge scale. Not only was it not adopted by any other developers (SiN devs quit after ONE episode, lal), even Valve themselves, the original proponents failed to make the concept work.

Listening to the development commentaries it seems quite clear they've been overcooking their episodes to a huge degree, with many changes to the story, levels etc throughout the development process. The result is a very short game experience that still takes a long, long time to get out the door.

I'm not surprised if they've decided to junk the whole thing and go back to monolithic releases. The episode system hasn't been much of a success for them, rather it's become a source of ridicule regarding their lack of ability to execute in a timely fashion...

There are a few episodic games that worked out just fine, such as Sam & Max. Ritual was dead before Sin was out the door, I believe.

Who knows why Valve couldn't pull it off. Bad project management comes to mind. They've never been quick at putting out Half Life games. It also could be that their online games are their top priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the delay in Episode 3 has had anything to do with mismanagement. I just think they were working on other things. Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress, Left For Dead 1, Left For Dead 2, Steam, Mac ports, 360 ports, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source were all made since Half Life 2 were released. It's not like Valve hasn't been busy, they just haven't been that busy with Half Life 2 for the last few years. Or maybe they have?

I don't think the delay in Episode 3 has had anything to do with mismanagement. I just think they were working on other things. Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress, Left For Dead 1, Left For Dead 2, Steam, Mac ports, 360 ports, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source were all made since Half Life 2 were released. It's not like Valve hasn't been busy, they just haven't been that busy with Half Life 2 for the last few years. Or maybe they have?

Yeah, I think they've gotten side tracked and that has caused resources to shift around. They've had quite a lot of success with their various games over those 6 years and have released quite a lot of different things. So in a way you could say it has to do with mismanagement where they've shifted/under-allocated resources to HL but then again, its has been widely successful for them and they've basically gotten 5 other franchises out in those 6 years. Considering that until recently valve has been fairly small, that is impressive.

I hope it's a full Half-Life 3 and not another dinky short episode. It's been HOW long now?

Maybe at least a full-length 'Episode'. That would be OK.

I just hope the next installment - in whichever form it happens to take - plays out mostly outdoors. Those bits are the ones I've enjoyed most so far of the HL2 era games.

Ep1 was almost entirely inside except for a bit in the middle before the hospital, and then the parking lot in front of the train yard. Ep. 2 had those god damn bug tunnels that drove me crazy. I hated...well, not hated I guess, but definitely disliked those damn cramped tunnels. That was a huge section of the game, and it fairly much sucked.

The latter half of Ep. 2 was much more interesting IMO, you also had the swirly portal thing growing visibly as you progressed, that was a great landmark. The end fight was annoying as hell though, that bit I truly despised. Too stressful and too gimmicky with those god damn "magnusson device" thingies that didn't jive with anything previously encountered in the game.

There's nothing there to really indicate it's HL3, but in fact could just be HL2:EP3?

Either another episode or a full-blown sequel would be fine with me, as long as I get to blow away some of those god damn braineating maggots seen in previous episodes. I've been itching to kill those bastards since we first got a glimpse of them towards the end in the original HL2.

Either another episode or a full-blown sequel would be fine with me, as long as I get to blow away some of those god damn braineating maggots seen in previous episodes. I've been itching to kill those bastards since we first got a glimpse of them towards the end in the original HL2.

Same here. I want to pump 'em full of lead for
killing the game's only real black character!
:eek:

It's a sure bet it isn't HL3, and it might not even be a HL related thing either. It would be pretty awesome if it was Episode 3, but instead of being 4 to 5 hours long, was much longer. If Ep3 is intended to be the final of the current story arch (not the end of the series), making it much longer (hence more development time) would make sense.

I remember reading the AI director from Left 4 Dead would end up being ported into their other franchises. Hopefully this is true, whether this is Episode 3 or HL3. It would add a lot to replay time.

Back