Half-Life 2 what?...gameplay pushed farther than ever before: Far Cry 2

The gameplay looks killer. You can shoot an ammo box and bullets will fly in random directions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLnXC2NsQdU

Nice feature though that alone wont be enough. I really really hope they fix the AI becouse in the shown gameplay sessions its lousy. The AI seems lost and acts like what I would call 'run n' gun' AI or 'suicide AI'. In this type of game they need to have AI that wants to survive otherwise IMO the gameplay will suffer tremendously. I understand though if this is a cut-down due to it going multi-platform. I do though hope they dont cut down the graphics more due to the large framerate problems (as far) on the xbox360 playing session.

In this type of game they need to have AI that wants to survive otherwise IMO the gameplay will suffer tremendously I understand though if this is a cut-down due to it going multi-platform..

Is AI correlated to CPU power that much thought? I would think its more correlated with a developers talents and efforts, rather than cpu power and platform.

Good AI, even good squad-AI have been maturing well since half-life 1, black and white, halo and F.E.A.R. Making AI thats percieved as very smart is usually a matter of developer wits rather than cpu power, as you can "cheat" as much as you want as long as you hide it from the player.

Its not like F.E.A.R. was all that CPU hungry, it would run on fine on a single core 1.7 ghz Pentium 4, those are 4 year old cpu's at the time of FEARs release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is AI correlated to CPU power that much thought? I would think its more correlated with a developers talents and efforts, rather than cpu power and platform.

Good AI, even good squad-AI have been maturing well since half-life 1, black and white, halo and F.E.A.R. Making AI thats percieved as very smart is usually a matter of developer wits rather than cpu power, as you can "cheat" as much as you want as long as you hide it from the player.

I would think so with intelligent navigation and AI behaviors for large dynamic scenes with destructible objects.

My main problem with this game is that they are calling it Far Cry 2.

It has nothing to do with the original Far Cry developers. From what I can tell the only thing it has in common is that it's a FPS in a tropical setting. Why did they have to call it Far Cry? They weren't confident enough to create a new IP?

I would be more excited about this game if it were a new IP. As it stands now I feel like they are just trying to cash in on the reputation of the respected original game Far Cry.

It has nothing to do with the original Far Cry developers. From what I can tell the only thing it has in common is that it's a FPS in a tropical setting. Why did they have to call it Far Cry? They weren't confident enough to create a new IP?

I would be more excited about this game if it were a new IP. As it stands now I feel like they are just trying to cash in on the reputation of the respected original game Far Cry.

It is very strange, since what they've shown so far has been very strong indeed.

I don't think it would be getting as much attention as it is if it were based on a new IP. The lack of story in Farcry didn't really beg for a sequel and Crysis is already every bit its sequel when it comes to gameplay, graphics and setting.

Thus EA could either make a completely new FPS and try to cash in on the FC IP for extra sales, or they could let that IP that they have already paid for go to waste. They chose the former.

If there are connections between 1 and 2, I'd imagine that they'd leave out any potential spoilers.;)

Its fairly common for publishers to own the IP's and not the developers, this means that if the developer and publishers stop working with eachother, the publisher is going to assign somebody else to continue with that IP.

If there are connections between 1 and 2, I'd imagine that they'd leave out any potential spoilers.;)

Except the devs have said that there are no mutants in this game, and mutants were a huge part of 1.

To pjb, ubisoft owns the IP, not EA. EA was Crysis' publisher.

Does this still have destrutible trees and buildings/shacks?

I was watching the livewire demo on ign and didnt really notice it.

Does this still have destrutible trees and buildings/shacks?

I was watching the livewire demo on ign and didnt really notice it.

From what I understand everything is desctructible in both single and multiplayer. Also the trees, grass, and buildings all can catch fire depending on how wet/dry the gameworld is at that moment.

I think they started it a long time ago on the (now heavily modified) far cry engine

Its a completely new engine called DUNIA. Nothing to do with the Far cry engine: Cryengine 1. That is Crytek property.The evolution of CryEngine 1 is CryEngine 2 ie. Crysis.

Back