Half life 2 Article from Max PC

I just finished watching the half-life 2 gameplay demos from IGN. My mouth literally dropped open for the entire 25 minute show. I didn't even realize my mouth my agape, and even when I did, and summarily closed it, seconds later it dropped open again.

Jesus help me this game is gunna be sweet. So glad I've got the hardware to run it. :D

On the flip side of the coin, I also, unfortunately, watched gameplay footage from the IGN review [EDIT]of Star Wars Galaxies[/EDIT]. Jesus help Lucasarts that game is gunna rot. :devilish:

I was also very astonished by the footage of the game. The game itself already looks very good for a next generation game, but I really really like the focus on making the characters and environment real. The facial expressions and mouth movements are just too good to be true. ;)

I think that unlike other next generation games that will come out soon, that Valve has made the right decisions to take the single player experience to the next level. It has been a long long time since that has happened.

Doomtrooper said:
Thanks to Volcane for the link from Rage3D...someone has scanned the latest article on the details of the engine, HL2 is looking to be a excellent scalable engine supporting all PS and VS all the way to 2.0.

mr. will smith (is that a pseudonym?) apparently mistakes triangle setup for triangle transformations. but as a first peek at HL2 the article definitely has a good value.

I find it hard to believe HL2 will perform well with DX6 cards like my Rage 128--it struggles with CS.

Pete said:
I find it hard to believe HL2 will perform well with DX6 cards like my Rage 128--it struggles with CS.

The idea is that it will run reasonably by making itself look like CS and the like. You'll lose out on eyecandy, including any complex models or textures, as well as the more trick things (like shaders). I wouldn't be surprised if there were forced or suggested low screen resolutions for those with poor hardware.

On low end hardware, the game will look nothing like the previews we've all been drooling over.

They seem to have left out the bastard stepchild of videocards - the GeForce4MX. Since it sits oddly between a GeForce 2 and a GeForce 4 (yet somehow being completely unlike a GeForce 3), I wonder how it will perform on HL2. There are certainly a lot of them out there. Blame Nvidia's naming scheme for that. Still, it's a huge user base. So it will be interesting to see how well they run HL2.

Riddlewire said:
They seem to have left out the bastard stepchild of videocards - the GeForce4MX. Since it sits oddly between a GeForce 2 and a GeForce 4 (yet somehow being completely unlike a GeForce 3), I wonder how it will perform on HL2. There are certainly a lot of them out there. Blame Nvidia's naming scheme for that. Still, it's a huge user base. So it will be interesting to see how well they run HL2.

Under Directx 8 they listed ANY NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 which includes Geforce4MX. Think there will be alot of disappointed GF4MX owners when they find out they dont even get Pixel shading in HL2. Then again, people with GF4MX cards probably dont even know what Pixel shaders are anyway.

-Neutrality-

Half Life 1 ran on any computer, period, because it used software rendering as well. Valve knows what they are doing, by targeting even those people with crap business desktops. What made HL1 great wasn't the engine, it was the content. People with integrated video or GF2MXs won't get pixel shaders, but they will still be able to play the game (atleast that's what valve says) Someone who has a GF2MX or Integrated Video is someone who doesn't care much about 3D anyway, since they would have spent more than $40 on their video card.

Neutrality said:
Under Directx 8 they listed ANY NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 which includes Geforce4MX. Think there will be alot of disappointed GF4MX owners when they find out they dont even get Pixel shading in HL2. Then again, people with GF4MX cards probably dont even know what Pixel shaders are anyway.

The article also listed FX 5200s probably due to their DX9 support, but I pity anyone who runs out and buys one for HL2.

John Reynolds said:
Neutrality said:

The article also listed FX 5200s probably due to their DX9 support, but I pity anyone who runs out and buys one for HL2.

Do you have any information as to the fillrate and bandwidth requirements of HL2? Seems like a rather premature assertion if Valve is asserting it is targeted at DX6 cards. Someone who buys such a low end card probably isn't concerned if the game loses detail and must run at 640x480.

DemoCoder said:
Do you have any information as to the fillrate and bandwidth requirements of HL2? Seems like a rather premature assertion if Valve is asserting it is targeted at DX6 cards. Someone who buys such a low end card probably isn't concerned if the game loses detail and must run at 640x480.

I don't know that I'd use the word "targeting" in relation to DX6 support--probably it's the bottom end of their 3D support ladder, and as you climb that ladder bandwidth and other requirements will increase.

Does anyone know why my computer states "you do not have permission to access this ftp folder; session terminated" when I try accessing the ftp file server which Doomtrooper put up? The article seems very interesting.

HL2 will run on DX6 cards just like Unreal II does.. with all of the details turned way down and still getting slowdown.

Back