hahah my kyro v5500 radeon 8500le 128 and gf 4 4200 64

Last night and as well for something I'm doing...I was figuring out usage of anisotropic filtering or 4x FSAA on my kyro...I don't have a kyro2 ( yet am trying ) so don't laugh...yes at 1024x768 either option was a slideshow. Using fraps...the latest version which supposedly doesn't kill kyro performance as the developer of it has had a kyro/2 for sometime as powervr gave him one framerates ranged from 13-17 fps at 1024x768x32 in Slave Zero...yes I like this game. Mainly I just wanted to see which I liked better...while aniso was interesting...FSAA really made it feel groovy. Also there seems to be an option in kyro tools for d3d called auto mip map that while there is a slight performance decrease really made mip map levels super clear with either bi or tri linear filtering and with dxtc on or off...and it isn't nearly as drastic as aniso.
For instance in one scene...at 1024x768x32 framerates were around 59 or so...static...with automipmap it went down to high 40s...but was instantly more clear...something trilinear did not do. So kickn' it is...Unfortunately that option is not available in opengl.
Testing in Jedi Knight 2...FSAA was favorable as grates didn't seem clear without AA even if aniso was used. Yeah they were both slow cept at 640x480x32...
I also tested both games at 1280x960x32...640x480x32 was much prettier to say the least and in JK2 helped many of those grates seem clear.
Really besides the drastic decrease in performance when anisotropic filtering was enabled...it didn't seem to do much for the kyro's IQ filtering looked similar...maybe I'm just new to aniso...but I can tell the difference on NV or ATI hardware
3dfx drivers also have an automipmap feature that is supposed to have mip levels appear better at a slight perf decrease...so I'm about to toss that back in
Also on an impulse buy I bought a gf4 4200 64 and radeon 8500le 128
I'm really teetoring towards the gf4 4200 gonna win me out cause of FSAA perf I've read on. Yes Ati's anisotropic looks sweet with a minor perf hit but even there 4x performance fsaa seem unusable much like NV anisotropic which is rumoured to get primo better soon.
I also know that Kyro since using OGSS cleans up textures much like 3dfx RGSS did...I still noticed some shimmering swimming on the kyro...gonna see about the v5 which Ive heard there is none.
I just read the poll seems people like anisotropic at high res more than FSAA.
I wonder also if FSAA via multisampling or quincunx ( yeah yeah blurry this that ) is gonna seem different to my eye...as it supposedly doesn't clean up textures I heard...just edges...but Ati smoothvision does...+ its options for aniso though 4x perf in ati does not clean it up while 4x quality does

Any thoughts on all of this?!

Oh yes I did think about the gf4 4200 128 and overclocking it...but it seems it does nothing as far as performance goes.
Oh yeah

system specs current
1700 xp
sis 735 3-3-2 pc 133 256mb sdram ( uck board doesnt seem to like 3-2-2 like my kt133 )
20 inch ctx oldie but goodie that can do extreme res...and I need to find some BNC cables
Herc 4000xt kyro 32mb agp
windows ME tweaked to unbelieveable amounts
Kyro Tools with latest 15.x pvr drivers
dx9 beta...doesnt seem to be any problems from dx8.1 ( and this system is gonna get wiped next week )
Fraps 1.7A
20gb WD ata66 7200

Next week to do the gf4 4200 and radeon 8500 Le justice
kx7333 by abit
xp unlocking kit...lets go 166 or 200
samsung 256 333ddr heard it can hit 400
thermalright sk6 600 with ystech 40cfm...lets oc too a bit as well besides changing multiplier
seagate 60 gb barracuda ata100...heard it doesn't mind oc'd fsb...and well there quiet and don't seem to die...WD are good...but seem to die around warranty time gives up sometimes.
gf256 32sdr maybe ill get a gf3 ti 200 or a gf2non mx
hopefully a kyro2 64
also will turn sis 735 into a 1ghz duron with 128ddr or 256sdram
and have a 750 slot A tbird setup running for why not

yeah yeah yeah bah-grammar

Yep I tend to just write in free flow style in message boards. For articles and school papers I stick to the proper grammar...bah
Also did some testing with my v5500...fsaa was really sweet, no texture swimming compared to some that can be spotted in ogss via kyro.
Even only at 640x480x32 or 16 4x things seemed really smooth. Looked rather. At 1024x768 it was very, very pretty though the speed wasn't there. I did notice seems jk2 or slave zero were very smooth except when a door opened to a new area...then it was stuttering and not related to hard drive swapping. So something in the texturing...this was of course using latest 3dfx underground betas. Also on a sidenote these betas seem to corrupt text in some games at some times. Note: this is not when fsaa is being used. Also I want to some tests on guardband clipping and z culling as far as the drivers go. So I'm probably gonna switch to x3dfx drivers or the x3dfx-c drivers 1.085

If you won't take the time to make your words human-readable, then humans won't take the time to read them. :p

A few hints:
1. Don't use "...."
2. Use punctuation and capitalization.
3. Separate paragraphs with double, not single line breaks.

There's a reason "proper grammar" is considered proper.

Tygrus_Artesiaoa :
As an exercise, perhaps you should try programming C (or nearly any computer language for that matter). You won't get far without the punctuation :)

Seriously though, I tried reading through your message but it was tiring. However, IIRC, the auto MIPmap generation in the PowerVR drivers is a software process that takes the non (or partially?) MIP mapped textures and generates all the lower levels.

Re: yeah yeah yeah bah-grammar

Tygrus_Artesiaoa said:
Also did some testing with my v5500...fsaa was really sweet, no texture swimming compared to some that can be spotted in ogss via kyro.

That has nothing to do with the FSAA method, but rather the texture LOD settings. If you enable aniso or FSAA on the Kyro and drop the LOD, you'll reduce any texture aliasing (Quick note: reduced detail=higher LOD number).

Here's a good question then.

How would one goes to change LOD in kyro drivers...as for opengl games aka Q3 engine based ones and perhaps a few others some have option in game settings or cfg. But as I remember there are no d3d option for changing LOD and many d3d games dont support that as well.
Thanks for answering the question on auto mip map. And yes, when posting on free flow thought typing it tends to go everywhere.

I really have no idea. I've never had a Kyro, though I do know that you can do it in Unreal Tournament under OpenGL (using a renderer that supports S3TC, of course...).

DAdjust="x"

This changes the D3D lod bias, 1 = sharpest and 10 = blurriest.

MIPMapThreshold="x"

This setting explains itself, 1 = worst and 10 = best.

You can either put those strings in the Kyro global D3D key to effect all D3D games. Or you can put them in a game profile key so you can have different lods and mip thresholds for different games.

Back