Guys I need help adding fractions

Nope, 3/2 = 9/6 ... then 9/6 + 5/6 = 14/6

Anyway, isn't this kids stuff? Like ... 10 year old kids know this stuff, don't they?

Multiply 3/2 by 3 top and bottom ie. 3/3 (= 1), gives you 9/6.

Basically it's a mathematical convenience, you're multiplying a number by 1 but in doing so you make the denominator the same as your other fraction you're wanting to add to.

KILER, aren't you studying programming?! How can you not know how to calculate this stuff? It's elementary.

3/2 + 5/6 = 9/6 + 5/6

because you neeed to get the lowest common denominator between the two fractions, which is 6.
If you turn 3/2 into a fraction with 6 as a denominator, you need to multiply the 2 by 3 so you get 6 at the bottom, but you also have to multiply the top by 3, so you get 9 at the top (you can't just multiply the bottom by a number without affecting the top of the fraction too)

After that it's easy, you just add 9 + 5 which is 14. So the result is 14/6

Kids today, I wouldn't be surprised they're not taught fractions, just decimals.
Really, this is something so elementary that even I who is really no maths genius have known this for.... 30 years at least!
Unless this is some K.I.L.E.R universe maths where this world rules don't apply.......

rabidrabbit said:
Kids today, I wouldn't be surprised they're not taught fractions, just decimals.
Really, this is something so elementary that even I who is really no maths genius have known this for.... 30 years at least!
Unless this is some K.I.L.E.R universe maths where this world rules don't apply.......

My brother teaches math, and kids are taught fractions today.

Cheers

I DID IT!!!

4/7 + 9/3

7 and 3 go into 21 only together.

so

a/21

7 goes into 21 3 times.

4*3
---

12/21 + 9/21

?

K.I.L.E.R said:
I DID IT!!!

4/7 + 9/3

7 and 3 go into 21 only together.

so

a/21

7 goes into 21 3 times.

4*3
---

12/21 + 9/21

?
Wrong.

You need to multiply 4/7 by 3/3 giving 12/21, and 9/3 by 7/7 giving 63/21. You can then add 12/21 and 63/21 to give 75/21

CC

Thanks guys.
It's just that this kind of maths is really difficult.

I'm okay at calculus though I just needed to fix that issue.

Back