Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by swaaye, Aug 21, 2009.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

I was in the Guild Wars alpha, and played it for a short while after launch. I'm definitely curious about this. I had a ton of fun in the alpha for the original, but unfortunately had already burned out a bit on the game by the time it was released, so didn't stick with it for too long.

3. swaaye

Legend

Notes from Eurogamer preview:

-just like GW, you only buy the game once. No subscriptions.
    -soloable just like GW
    -switches from GW's instanced world to a pesistent fully-populated world
    -PvP system is apparently similar to GW. I never even went there though. :)

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh neato. GW was pretty fun, although I never did the PvP. At least it had a fully fleshed out PvE campaign.

If those are in game shots, that's going to be another pretty game.

Regards,
    SB

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Ha, I'm the exact opposite. I was all about the PvP, but had a hard time drudging through the levels once the game was released. Maybe because I'd played them 100 times during "all calls" before the game was out.

It was interesting to see the attention they paid to bug tracking and improvements. Sometimes you'd play through a level so they could get direct feedback as you were playing. I hope they're doing it the same way this time.

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Was GW fun when playing solo?

7. swaaye

Legend

The most fun I had with GW was PVE with friends. Occasionally I would solo to get to places I hadn't been to before or to just wander around. I like the game's atmosphere. Once you get the heroes it's better because they can be endlessly tweaked with equipment and skills just like your main character.

I have the original game plus the Eye of the North expansion pack. EotN has graphics that are rather similar to what's in that GW2 preview. GW2 looks like it has fresh ideas and nice enhancements. And it's subscription free. So I'm sure I'll get it.

#7 swaaye, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  8. Berek

Regular

Guild Wars provides a multiple of gameplay options that I enjoyed when playing it with friends. I still play on occasion just like others here have mentioned, to enjoy the game's atmosphere and just walk around. It isn't a true "MMO", so the persistence and ability to keep coming back for anything other than that and your regular rounds of PvP, is limited.

What I find in the features of GW2 that I am looking forward to will be a new event system. This will parallel much of what you see in terms of tracking and statistics, and news found on the main GW website, but in the game as well.

Also, z-axis enhancements... jumping! While this wasn't needed in GW1, and probably prevented a lot of exploits or pathing problems, it may ultimately prove to be a positive addition to GW2. I just hope the balance of skills in GW2 provides more value to the player than it did in GW1, where often you were using Fire spells over anything else.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

In PvP the balance of spells and skills were constantly changing as teams found ways to make a dominant build. Sometimes it was Ice, sometimes Fire, sometimes Lightning.

Never got into the PvP but did like watching the PvP matches sometimes and kept track of PvP trends.

Wait was Ice one of the spell elements? It's been so long I can barely remember.

Regards,
    SB

10. swaaye

Legend

Each of the elements has advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation and enemies. And having a variety of elementalists with different specializations is extremely powerful. It's Earth, Fire, Water, Air. Fire has lots of wicked area effect stuff, but the others do their own kind of damage that is also very useful. Also, any element can become very hampered depending on PvE resistances.

#10 swaaye, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009