GUILD WARS 2 to the PS3! (request)

At the beginning of this gen, Sony were supposedly partnering with [strike]ArenaNET[/strike] NCSoft. Seems like nothing at all came from that. Would have like GW2. Maybe. Maybe not - possibly too much of a time sink.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the beginning of this gen, Sony were supposedly partnering with [strike]ArenaNET[/strike] NCSoft. Seems like nothing at all came from that. Would have like GW2. Maybe. Maybe not - possibly too much of a time sink.

I think that NCSoft deal is still in place.

However, I don't think they've really had any good MMO's in a while that would be really conducive to consoles. The few they've had since 2008, would have been sketchy at best.

Guild Wars, however.....that game would be a home run hit on consoles...specifically the PS3.

Allegedly, there is a somewhat quiet, if not secret, Console dev team getting it ready.

If NC Soft has any smarts at all, they will put this on the PS3 and open it up to their 2012 65 million+ install base.
They'd be utter fools if they don't.

I think that NCSoft deal is still in place.

However, I don't think they've really had any good MMO's in a while that would be really conducive to consoles. The few they've had since 2008, would have been sketchy at best.
I don't recall any NCSoft titles on PS3, so what exactly was that agreement about? Seems to be empty, so the chances of a GW2 port are minimal. Like, as low as WOW getting a port.

I don't recall any NCSoft titles on PS3, so what exactly was that agreement about? Seems to be empty, so the chances of a GW2 port are minimal. Like, as low as WOW getting a port.

Sony and NC Soft have a deal that Sony would allow them to put one of their MMO's on consoles and run through their own servers. Since then Sony has done this with several developers. But like I said, NC Soft hasn't published any really good MMO's in a while. So if said MMO does poorly or mediocre at best on the PC, it's likely not going to fare any better on consoles either.

Guild Wars 2, especially since it's a free per month game, it is their only proven MMO that could 100% thrive on Consoles and PC's.

Also, Unlike WoW, Guild Wars 2 has had a console dev team in place for quite some time.

Most recently, Shaun was at MMO developer ArenaNet heading up the Guild Wars 2 console development team.

There's a strong chance for Guild Wars 2 on console(s).

Sony and NC Soft have a deal that Sony would allow them to put one of their MMO's on consoles and run through their own servers.
Ok. Where was that mentioned? I don't recall any disclosure of what the agreement's details were, and I'm sure talk was of several games.

Still, I don't count chances of a console port as strong. A lot of PC developers have dabbled with console development. It makes sense for them to try as it's a large market, but having a look isn't the same as being commited. From the GW2 forum:
I just want to reiterate that the development team is fully focused on making GW2 the best PC MMO ever released. We have a very small team exploring the possibility of console, but there are no definite plans for a console version at this time. The core of Guild Wars 2 development is fully focused on delivering a fantastic PC MMORPG experience.
(Red text highlight be me; bold by ArenaNet representative)

That's 18 months old. One year later, the head of the console development left ArenaNET. Since then there's been no word of a GW2 console version. It's as likely, if not more so, that they gave the consoles a look and decided against pursuing them, perhaps putting their console development on the back burner to look at a port later, or next-gen (GW had good legs so a GW2 release on next-gen wouldn't necessarily be too old).

The lack of any talk about a console release doesn't bode well for a port. Can you think of any other PC games that have had a sudden, unexpected console release? Even Diablo 3 has had a lot of console rumours and suggestions as it's progressed, despite remaining PC exclusive for the time being.

I agree with the notion that console MMO needs to be different from PC MMO. The living room and large TV are not really condusive to long hour MMO use. There is no privacy and the neck can hurt. 8^P

A Vita MMO may be interesting but the battery life could suck. Chatting on Vita is also problematic unless they focus the MMO gaming experience on the combat or some other activities (e.g., sourcing stuff from real life locations using Vita).

It's kinda wrong to associate GW with an MMO though, unless GW2 is a huge departure from GW (haven't been following). It was basically a fantasy RPG with party support and hubs, but it played like a fantasy game with skills and items. If they could find a way to map that to a controller for direct control (and Diablo 3 is said to play very nicely on a controller) then it'd be just another action game, only with a hub. Assuming same format as GW, which it would be stupid to change as that's what made GW so popular.

Ok. Where was that mentioned? I don't recall any disclosure of what the agreement's details were, and I'm sure talk was of several games.

That there's a deal between Sony and NC Soft (you mentioned that yourself) or that Sony would allow NC Soft to run their game through their own servers?

Assuming the later, I don't see what there is to question, as all of the current third party MMO's on the PS3 run through said third party's own servers.
There are several non MMO's that are also afforded this (Valve, EA, Konami), so I'm not sure exactly your contention or what what exact proof you're asking for.

Also, one of the things that makes me believe there is a strong possibility, is that Arenanet made Guild Wars 2 more "actiony"....almost DCU'ish, jump button and all.
It's almost as if they made this game with consoles in mind.

So,
--we've got and NC Soft deal.....feels like duck
--we've got admission of a console dev team.....sounds like a duck
--we've got a game who's mechanics seem very "console'ish"....smells like a duck.

Say what you will,
but we're getting awful close to getting Turducken on my hot plate. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That there's a deal between Sony and NC Soft (you mentioned that yourself) or that Sony would allow NC Soft to run their game through their own servers?

Assuming the later, I don't see what there is to question, as all of the current third party MMO's on the PS3 run through said third party's own servers.
And they didn't sign deals with Sony; at least they weren't reported on with the same vigor. So why think NCSoft's deal was just to allow content the same as other parties? -
Sony and NC Soft have a deal that Sony would allow them to put one of their MMO's on consoles and run through their own servers.
How do you know the deal was to put one game on their servers? How do you know it wasn't a deal to create...3 games, like other deals announced back then which then fell through? Or to help create a Sony MMO which had the plug pulled? AFAIK there's been no disclosure on what exactly the deal was, and in 5 years it's born no fruit. Now perhaps it's just been waiting for GW2, but then why hasn't GW2 for PS3 been announced?

So,
--we've got and NC Soft deal.....feels like duck
We have no idea what that deal was. Could be a dead duck you're feeling, or a pigeon, or a baby emu.
--we've got admission of a console dev team.....sounds like a duck
An exploratory team, the head of which left a year ago. Could be they went looking for duck and didn't find any.
--we've got a game who's mechanics seem very "console'ish"....smells like a duck.
Or it could be duck is in fashion and every game is being aimed at being a bit more actionable, or duck-like. The number of keyboard commands needed on tap suggests they weren't really aiming at console.
Say what you will,
but we're getting awful close to getting Turducken on my hot plate. ;)
Except we're missing something vital - an announcement of GW2 on consoles. Or even a rumour! That we haven't a single decent rumour means there's almost certainly no version in the oven. Maybe they'll make one after release, but we'll be hungry waiting and may even never get fed.

Back