Guess The Next-Generation Antialiasing

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
Yes, ladies, that's right. Wonder of wonders, joy of joys, I received in my inbox today a nice little screenshot of the Painkiller demo from a next-generation high-end card. More than that, the next-generation card had antialiasing enabled. What level, you may ask? That's for you to figure out.

A few things: The FPS is high. Really high. The original image was 1280x1024, so I took the middle quarter (640x512) and posted it for you.

Image hosting is provided courtesy of that sweet little Brit Hanners.

So, enough talk. The image:

screen.png

Enjoy. 8)

(Yes, I know the card, I know the AA level, I know the original FPS. Maybe in a few days...)

First, thanks for the picture. Second, Lecram is right: lack of high contrast edges makes it kind of hard to judge AA quality.

Bah, knew I should've used a different picture...

let me get a second one out with more high-contrast edges.

Um dude, there really aren't any sharp contrasts in that picture, so checking out the AA level is pretty much impossible... :?

Geeforcer said:
First, thanks for the picture. Second, Lecram is right: lack of high contrast edges makes it kind of hard to judge AA quality.

i think that was intended

The Baron said:

use colourless's fsaa tester ;)

Seeming as I dotn know what fsaa the next cards will have I wont wait for the new picks before I guess.

I think Nv4x 6xfsaa

There aren't very many places with a lot of color contrast. There are points in the original image where you can compare it fine, though, especially if you use Photoshop.

But, I'll still try to get another image up.

tEd said:
The Baron said:

use colourless's fsaa tester ;)
No. :)

The image is blurred when you zoom in on it.

Can you post the original capture in .bmp and zip it up and post a link (that was a mouthful!!).

It looks like BiCubic filtering has been applied.... or something else silly.

Tahir said:
The image is blurred when you zoom in on it.

Can you post the original capture in .bmp and zip it up and post a link (that was a mouthful!!).

It looks like BiCubic filtering has been applied.... or something else silly.
It's an image that was originally captured as a BMP (I assume) but sent to me as a PNG. I haven't done anything to it.

Pretty bad pic to judge on; zoomed in and increased gamma and it looks as 6x AA to me too (could be wrong though).

Ailuros -
Look at the inverted black corner immediately to the right of the cross hair. Several of the black pixels on the boundary (~45deg slope) don't appear to be anti-aliased at all.

Back