Guerrilla's dev team answers questions

wco81 said:
Jail time?

How could violating a company's trade secrets result in jail time?

I could see civil suits (in the US).

Here, the NDAs say violating could lead up to termination.
The stories about PS2 and Iraq may have sounded funny, but behind them are international laws on trading of high tech knowledge (particular chips...).

While most NDA are simple civil suits, some could get you a visit by MI5 and in the USA, either the FBI or the NSA!

MrWibble said:
As it was explained to me, the issue was that there were export restrictions on stuff relating to Cell (any sufficiently powerful computer technology is problematic) and giving individuals access to the technology (even just the docs) counts as export to an individuals country of origin, not where they currently live.

Not actually origin or current location but based on legal nationality. So even though you were for instance born in china, but had US citizenship, you would be ok for US export controls. Export controls can be pretty funny in some cases. I know of at least one case where someone who had created something in the US moved back to another country, and he was no longer able to work on or even see what he had created, even though he had created it all from his head.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

DeanoC said:
One of the odd things about NDAs is that you can't even mention your under them... so no comment except to say that they are taken VERY seriously and that breaking some NDAs could land people jail time!

Well there are various different types of NDA's. Generally when a project/design is attempting to be kept secret, you'll have restricted NDA that specify no acknowledgement, at other times you'll just have NDA's that just cover information and not existence. For instance, I'm under several NDA's some of which I can disclose what the NDA is/covers and others that I can't acknowledge that they exist.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

wco81 said:
Jail time?

How could violating a company's trade secrets result in jail time?

I could see civil suits (in the US).

Here, the NDAs say violating could lead up to termination.

Theft of trade secrets is both a criminal and civil offense. There have been numerous cases in Silicon Valley of people that have been investigated for theft of trade secrets by the sherif's office and procecuted criminally.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

DeanoC said:
If I understood PR I'd probably drive a much faster car and have a model hanging off my arm :D
Actually, I DO sorta picture you with a few Gundams or the like scattered around your desk.

...or is that not the kind of "model" you're talking about? ;)

cthellis42 said:
Actually, I DO sorta picture you with a few Gundams or the like scattered around your desk.
I'm curious, do you feel just Deano gives off that kinda wibe or you have some preconcieved notion about all game devs and you were applying that?

If the former, I'm curious what kind of impressions the rest of us give off (I'd especially like to hear your thoughts about ERP and Archie :p ), if the latter, I guess I should act offended, until I came to Japan in 2000 I didn't even know what a Gundam was.

Fafalada said:
I'm curious, do you feel just Deano gives off that kinda wibe or you have some preconcieved notion about all game devs and you were applying that?.

Common didn't you know that all game developers have to study atleast two years in geektown :p

I guess I should act offended, until I came to Japan in 2000 I didn't even know what a Gundam was.

erm... yes... sure, what ever you say :)...

Fafalada said:
(I'd especially like to hear your thoughts about ERP and Archie :p )

Well, not sure about ERP, but having seen Archie's living room, i have always thought of him as a super-cool geek who doesn't look like a geek, eating lobster and caviar for breakfast, living off the fame of having worked for Square and the Final Fantasy franchise...

But maybe that's just me...

London Boy said:
i have always thought of him as a super-cool geek who doesn't look like a geek, eating lobster and caviar for breakfast
I thought you already had a bf. And hitting on a developer just cuz he's famous, shame on you! :p
Anyway, I'm sure he'd like this kind of description so I'll be a nice guy and omit all the other truths I might be privy to (and yeah, better as to keep his mouth closed too just in case :oops: ).
Though his new living room is even cooler then the old one.

Platon said:
Common didn't you know that all game developers have to study atleast two years in geektown
Oh I'm not arguing with that, but I draw my line with collecting toys at plushies. :p

Fafalada said:
I'm curious, do you feel just Deano gives off that kinda wibe or you have some preconcieved notion about all game devs and you were applying that?
Well, game devs tend to make me think of toy models of some sort, but not Gundamns specifically. YOU are much more of a sports-car enthusiast, Faf. ;)

ERP said:
we had a programmer here who was lead programmer on a would be PS3 title who wasn't allowed access to the docs because his nationality wasn't on the list.

Is "Indian" on that list? Just wondering. :smile:

Deepak said:
Is "Indian" on that list? Just wondering. :smile:

Don't remember, it was a while ago.
The programmer in question was from one of the smaller european countries.
If I had to guess, my guess is it had more to do with the binding legalities of the Sony NDA in a particluar country than with international law.

cthellis42 said:

Actually, I DO have a few Gundams on *my* desk actually... Along w/a stuffed pikachu, a rubber Stewie, a stuffed Catbert and Panda Z, a ChocoCat hackey sack, a bunch of model cars and other knick knacks...

london-boy said:
Well, not sure about ERP, but having seen Archie's living room, i have always thought of him as a super-cool geek who doesn't look like a geek, eating lobster and caviar for breakfast, living off the fame of having worked for Square and the Final Fantasy franchise...

While I appreciate the wonderful image, I'm afraid I'm not all that glamorous. I probably do look like a geek, and breakfast is usually either a bowl of rice topped w/umeboshi or some cereal w/yogurt and fruit (unless I'm visiting the Mum). As for a fast car or model, at best I can say is that I drive a reasonably quick Mini, and can claim I shop at the same grocery store as Pam Anderson... :\

fafalada said:
I thought you already had a bf. And hitting on a developer just cuz he's famous, shame on you!

Don't worry, he doesn't have chance unless he can outdo my gf w/x-mas gifts... :)

fafalada said:
Anyway, I'm sure he'd like this kind of description so I'll be a nice guy and omit all the other truths I might be privy to (and yeah, better as to keep his mouth closed too just in case ).

Awwwww, afraid I might disclose some of your dirty little secrets?

fafalada said:
Though his new living room is even cooler then the old one.

Sadly it's getting a little blah, and the building has been sold, so I either gotta buy into it at an attrociously overpriced rate, or find a new place... :( Either way, it's killing my motivation to go out and pick up a new SXRD set...

nAo said:
you too?! that's threesome!

To be fair, Faf's actually been there, londonboy hasn't... ;)

cthellis said:
YOU are much more of a sports-car enthusiast, Faf.

Hoho! That's what you think! ;)

Back