GTAIV sales numbers

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
Norwegian article doing a story on how Ironman got shot down in Liberty city and it mentions expected sales numbers.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2008/05/05/534460.html

The norwegian distributor expect that they sold 60K during the "opening days", it says "over disk" which means in store I guess and could imply internet sales aren't included.

Compared to the Ironman movie that got 47K sold/used tickets, during the opening weekend.

All of this is in Norway and the norwegian population is about 4.5M people.

The distributor of GTAIV also hopes to sell about 120K copies in total during the first 6 weeks.

The article goes on about movies having a longer life cycle, ie Cinema -> DVD -> TV etc, while games quickly drops of in sales and there is no follow up phases like DVD etc.

Iron Man did over $100 million its first weekend in the US. It'll be fine, though I'm sure GTAIV retail numbers are much higher. I don't doubt when all is said and done (dvd sales rental and downloads) Iron Man will be up somewhere near $1 billion. Video games have a huge upfront push where movies are severely limited by the number of screens.

Game numbers always have the advantage of launch takings, because they cost so much more than cinema tickets!

These movie-game sales comparisons have been happening ever since Super Mario 64 when Nintendo bragged about how that game made more than Face/Off. Games cost much more than movie tickets. And when you take into account home video sales the movie industry is a much more profitable beast than games. Then there's also merchandising which Iron Man is conducive to.

I can see 6 movies for the price of gta 4 . I can see 12 movies before 4pm for the price of gta 4.

I really don't think its a fair comparison . Its like comparing how much money gas made last weekend compared to gta 4 and ironman

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16439/UK-GTA-IV-on-Xbox-360-Outsells-PS3-Version/

Take-Two Interactive announced today day one and week one sales of Grand Theft Auto IV, revealing that the game sold approximately 6 million units globally with an estimated retail value of more than $500 million in the first week. The game sold approximately 3.6 million units on its opening day with a retail value of approximately $310 million globally.
Someone want to remind me on what the average split on revenue/retail sales is between the various parties involved? :p

These movie-game sales comparisons have been happening ever since Super Mario 64 when Nintendo bragged about how that game made more than Face/Off. Games cost much more than movie tickets. And when you take into account home video sales the movie industry is a much more profitable beast than games. Then there's also merchandising which Iron Man is conducive to.

Yes, and the old saw that the videogames industry makes more than movies is completely false, once DVD hardware and home video are taken into account. The comparison is typically all videogame revenue including hardware, versus only box office receipts for movies.

Probably only slightly better sales as the userbase of the PS3 and 360 become populated with more and more people where the GTA franchise holds no preference.

Not only that but I dont think it will be as big, IV being the first on next gen made a splash. 5 will have similar graphics engine, so I dont believe it will be as large an impact.

Here's some numbers from Microsoft's Gamerscore Blog...

Gamerscore Blog said:
The Gamerscore Blog would like to congratulate Rockstar on the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV. GTA sold over 6 million units, and broke the entertainment record with over $500 million in sales.

I got some data from the US team, and I'm here to share that news with you:
* Actual MS sales data from last week shows Xbox 360 console sales at retail went up 54% week-over-week as a result of GTA's success
* According to retailers more than 60% of all GTA games sold in the first week were the Xbox 360 version
* Retailers are telling us that the game is attaching strongly to new console sales, with roughly 40% of new consoles selling with a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV

Regarding Xbox LIVE:
* In the first week, more than 2.3 million people played Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox LIVE
* GTA IV is now the number one played game on Xbox LIVE
* Over the weekend, we saw the Xbox LIVE service reach 1 million concurrent users
* Gamers have unlocked more than 12 million achievements worth over 100 million gamerscore points in GTA
* Grand Theft Auto IV set a new record for time played, with the average gamer spending more than four hours playing the game on LIVE in the first week alone

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/05/07/559006.aspx

Tommy McClain

Back