GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

Lots of problems with the launch, as expected. I was just able to get in and do the race for the online tutorial, and completed the little shooting mission after, but I'm stuck on a loading screen. Hopefully it'll get past that. Once you get past the tutorial, you're in the clear and the online works perfect (at least that's what a friend's experience has been). I'm looking forward to it, once everything is smoothed out. I can't imagine how many people were trying to play tonight.

This is the umpteenth time that I went to steal a Helicopter from the military base for my next heist in the sea and messed up ! This time I specially bought $2500 armour to make sure I come out alive out of there only to lose it to police shots :LOL:. And when I finally reached near the base, i thought ,"ok, the base is just past this mountain!" Turned out the mountain was very high and my speed was abit too high maybe. my SUV flew for full 5 seconds before 'landing' right next to the base adn exploding :LOL: !

Time for my next attempt :cool: !

:LOL: I was actually a bit confused that the mission map directed me to inside the military base (somehow missed that I had to steal a chopper there). Did it on my first attempt and was quite surprised. Drove straight through the front door, went straight (not left) until I got to the tank (that was facing a way from me). Hijacked it, blew up some other tanks and then pretty much drove past everything and I was close to the chopper. Switched into the chopper and flew off. For some reason, they didn't follow me to hard (considering I think you get 4 stars or something) so it was fairly easy in the end.

:LOL: I was actually a bit confused that the mission map directed me to inside the military base (somehow missed that I had to steal a chopper there). Did it on my first attempt and was quite surprised. Drove straight through the front door, went straight (not left) until I got to the tank (that was facing a way from me). Hijacked it, blew up some other tanks and then pretty much drove past everything and I was close to the chopper. Switched into the chopper and flew off. For some reason, they didn't follow me to hard (considering I think you get 4 stars or something) so it was fairly easy in the end.
Took me two tries. The first, I took a rocket up the rear from the other attack chopper. It didn't kill me outright, and I lost them shortly after, but it did cause enough damage that the engine eventually exploded and I gently drifted to the ground with all the grace of a brick. The second time, I made sure to ram the other chopper and knock it over before I went to pick up the other one. No one followed me. :)

Still need to steal the fighter from there.. I heard it was a VTOL?

Not sure if it is permanent or not but all of the pictures I have taken in GTA during single player were gone when I fired up the game today and I also had a "contacting Social Club" message stuck on my screen for something like 30 minutes.

Definitely not a fan of Sim Cityness showing up in the single player GTA experience.

Not sure if it is permanent or not but all of the pictures I have taken in GTA during single player were gone when I fired up the game today and I also had a "contacting Social Club" message stuck on my screen for something like 30 minutes.

Definitely not a fan of Sim Cityness showing up in the single player GTA experience.

Just another example of how incredible stupid it is to rely on being online for ANYTHING that doesn't require it. Rockstar in all their wisdom chose to store the pictures online, in a crappy lowres resolution.

Yes WHY USE THE HARDDRIVE...? argh

So.. do a mission that requires the camera and enjoy the joys of not getting connected to the Social Club when you pull out the camera..

A 250 million dollar game that saw 1.000 million dollar business is not able to keep it up so to speak..

I haven't linked GTA to the social club yet. Hoping that helps.

Online is fun, but a little bit weird. It's a bit clumsy. Basically, if you want to play co-op with your friends and have some fun, stick with the missions you get from Simeon and Gerald(?). We were trying to jump into the missions on the map, and it was all deatchmatch style play. If you pay attention to your phone, you get repo missions which are pretty good. Each one is harder than the last, so the first two are three seem kind of lame, but then it gets good after that.

Online is a little ... weird. I thought there would be a part mechanic, but there's not. I think it automatically puts crew tags on the same team, so maybe they feel they didn't need it, but if you all quit a playlists it'll dump you onto different servers ... wtf. Good luck keeping a group of 4 or more people together.

Took me two tries. The first, I took a rocket up the rear from the other attack chopper. It didn't kill me outright, and I lost them shortly after, but it did cause enough damage that the engine eventually exploded and I gently drifted to the ground with all the grace of a brick. The second time, I made sure to ram the other chopper and knock it over before I went to pick up the other one. No one followed me. :)

Got it done , finally. Was pretty unexciting when it finally happened, but all the failed attempts were very very fun :LOL: ! This time I found a back door kindof entry, went in, straight to the chopper, took off , got so scared when I realsed it handles like a swing in the park :p that I paused the game, resumed, went very low to get off their radar and it instantly worked ! They lost me and I went to the hangar.

Boy, I have to say, if it wasn't running on my ps3 in front of me, I wouldn't have beleived if someone told me a open world game with such a massive world could look so good on a ps3 ! Flying over the city at night was so beautiful ! :p

Also, messed around the world as Trevor. I think I have lost most of the money I made from the first heist by just dying all over the map as various characters :p ! I have to say, I LOVE the new cop evasion system. One can actually "hide" now. Feels very intuitive, fantastic !

Damn it R*, you finally made me a GTA fan ! Now how will I feel elite, how will I criticise the adoloscent stupidity of GTA, now I am just another GTA fan out there, one of them :cry: , how will I keep my nose up in the air like british snob when kids run around in GTA anymore :oops: !

:LOL:

EDIT: WIsh this game was native 1080p, so that I could look far away in the distance in absolute crystal clear graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Took about 10 tries but I finally managed to steal the fighter jet (can't remember its name). The key, for me at least, was:

1) To get in quick right from the front entry and head straight to the hanger (while in a car). Trying to stealth in didn't help in the slightest

2) Don't try to taxi onto the runway. Either a tank would blow me up, or soldier's gun fire would kill me directly while in the cockpit

3) To follow up from 2, the fighter needs very little runway to launch. So the successful run was to hop in, go to full throttle, and get the nose in the air as quickly as possible and take off.

My next stunt will be taking the fighter I stole and doing a strafing run on the freeway. I want to see how many cars I can destroy and therefore how much scrapyard money I can generate for the week. :D Petty cash compared to the markets, but I haven't gotten a good feel for them yet outside of the assassination missions which I don't have any left of.

THe way online is organized is kind of balls, but stick with the missions you're offered over the fun if you want some fun co-op gameplay. The missions you get to repo cars, or steal drugs, are actually pretty good. Set them to hard difficulty, and it can be pretty intense. Ambushing a car and filling it with bullet holes as a team is immensely satisfying. It just looks too good. It made me wish Battlefield had car damage the same way.

Other than the really weird match making system that apparently doesn't use LIVE Parties in order to keep people together, are you having any other problems with Online, Scott?

I haven't tried it yet, but I keep reading the forums and it sounds like people are still having worlds of issues. Although it's difficult to tell if they are PS3 or 360 issues. It seems like most of the issues are on the PS3, but people don't always specify.

Oh, and just playing this game a bit more it's really cool. Played for about an hour today and already drove around a golf cart and a big container loader machine. The variety of different vehicles and how they all handle is just really damn cool. I mean it really felt like you were driving a golf cart!

Anybody got any tips on the first properties to buy? It seems like the ones that are really cool

such as the customs shop and the cab company
are too expensive early on (after only first heist), and they can only be bought by Franklin. I did manage to buy the
scrapyard
with Micheal, but it was pretty much the only thing he could afford. And I find it kinda crappy that it doesn't tell you that only X character can buy the property until you actually get there and try to buy it.

Especially because the guy with the most money doesn't seem to be able to buy any of the good properties!

I was finally able to pick-up the game. Got it for $55 used, $60 after tax. So I had about $2 left from my credit. :) It must have been a pre-order since it came with an unused code for the blimp. I immediately finished the first mission & then went exploring. WOW, it's large but like Red Dead I was wished every building could be entered & had more depth & interactivity. Kinda feels like a movie set when you find out nothing is real behind the front door. Rancid is right lots of cool vehicles & they each feel different. Music is great too. Just wished they would have used a better way to change stations. The wheel sucks. Haven't done my first mission or played online, but I feel Rancid will make sure I get in a game with him before the night is over. Good thing it's a free Gold weekend. My subscription just lapsed & I'm waiting for payday. ;) Anyway, I don't think this more fun than RDR, but it might do in a pinch until at least RDR2 comes out.

Tommy McClain

Well, I've encountered my first GTA V bug. I was doing the mission with Michael where you
have to go to the morgue and identify the body and I shot out the window and jumped out and it looks like it will give you an option of a fast car or a SUV to steal as you stand on top of the dumpster
but he just stands there and can't move. You can't select anything or jump down or move at all. It's just stuck in this position.

Total bummer. Especially because that mission was actually pretty fun. Meaning it was somewhat easy but not too easy and had a nice story and such, it worked really well up until the point the game froze.

Balls.

WOW, it's large but like Red Dead I was wished every building could be entered & had more depth & interactivity. Kinda feels like a movie set when you find out nothing is real behind the front door.
Yeah. The exteriors of many buildings are much more detailed than GTA IV and they invite closer inspection but you soon realise it's a 'movie set'.

Nextgen hardware may widespread use of building interiors viable; procedural generation could make shape/size/layouts of interiors varied and the extra memory could hold lots of details for different types of shops to interact with (buy/sell/rob etc).

I redid that mission and it went off without a hitch and no freezing so I guess I was just unlucky that one time. Bummer.

Anyway, to Az's contention, that's something I've been harping on this entire generation. I thought THIS generation should have stopped the "movie set" situation. I hope Next-Gen finally gets us past that point, but I'm not too hopeful now.

Seriously, you should be able to enter EVERY building. You should be able to shoot out EVERY light and every window, etc. It's only made more obvious in GTA V when you get that mission that you do have to shoot out a couple of lights, and then after playing that mission, if you try to shoot out other lights in other missions, you can't.

WTF? You just taught me to shoot out lights to provide more cover, but now I can't do it whenever I want? Or whenever I think it might be helpful? Seriously? WTF?

Anyway, the game is still awesome, it's just not as awesome as it could be. For a game as HUGE as GTA V is, I'd much rather it be HALF as big but be able to allow you to enter every house and every store rather than just the few you can enter now and the rest being movie set cardboard cutouts.

Back