Grounded (Obsidian Entertainment) [XO, PC, XGP]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by AzBat, Apr 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

What makes this game so special?

2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

this game is really confusing for me who has been spoiled with modern video game where everything are clearly marked or examples were provided.

Case 1:
    A quest told me to kill BLAHBLAHBLAH but it doesnt show a pic or a video what BLAHBLAHBLAH looks like. Solution? Googling

Case 2:
    Something exploded in the distance. But it doesnt provide me with a waypoint or a compass. There's also no smoke stack to follow (or maybe there was, but hidden by the overly strong depth of field).

Feels like im jumping into an MMO in the middle of a season / DLC or something.

As for the gameplay itself, the crafting UX is bad. The game still runs in the background while you are fiddling with crafting menu. But it took the whole screen. Instead of semi transparent on a sidebar like TLOU2. The hitbox for items cluttered in the environment also pretty small (only as big as the object itself), combined that there were no auto aim like DEstiny, it was a pain to grab a piece of leaf.

It feels the game was made for "twitch era" where you'll watch other people play it first before you jump to play. And instead of playing alone like me, you play with friends that can teach each other, learn from each other, explore the unknown together. The feeling was akin to jumping into a fresh raid in Destiny series.

3. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

"Honey I Shrunk The Kids" setting. It's wild, but for most they will say it's the survival aspect. If you like those kinds of games & you like cooperative play, then it's great.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  4. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

@orangpelupa It's a game in Preview. Sounds like you're more of a fan of games that are completely baked. If I were you I would wait until it's fully launched. I suspect you might have the same thoughts regarding Sea of Thieves if you had played that during it's beta. I suspect, like SoT, Grounded will get it's footing after a full launch & it will be a much better game for it.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's a unique spin on the co-op, harvest, craft and build formula that has proven quite popular.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

its a pretty grounded game. You know the bugs, you know everything, but you're getting a different perspective on it.
    The harvesting and crafting system is fairly deep. You can do fun things with it. It's base building is much more in-depth than something like fortnite. The bases in this game are meant to hold in perpetuity or for as long as you need or hold onto them.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  7. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

BRiT and Malo like this.
  8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

It's very open-ended in terms of gameplay, so you're meant to just explore. For the explosion bit, they say it's by the oak tree, and there's only one tree visible, so... you just go exploring in that direction. ;)

AzBat likes this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

lol... wow.. clearly we need to step it up.

don't share the screen shot of the "base" we made the other night.

AzBat likes this.
  10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Do you guys find the spiders scary ? It was subject to a huge survey at Microsoft to see what level of realism was to much for spiders in the game

11. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

like IRL? or in the game?

the game, no. IRL not really. I used to be, but that phobia ended a while back.

AzBat likes this.
  12. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

IRL & game? No, never. Snakes on other hand? Hell no. Even Snake Pass gives me the creeps.

Tommy McClain

13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

That's not what I remember when those two spiders fucked us up good. :p

*cough*

AzBat and iroboto like this.
  14. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I think you have me confused with someone else. LOL

Tommy McClain

15. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

uh huh. :p

with [brit] beating around the bush, and iroboto trying to single handedly kill a spider, that leaves your and my backpacks on the ground. :3

16. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

When I was small, I was very afraid of spiders, to the point that a shooting game I played (Xenon 2, a great game) where one of the boss is a huge spider and I have to ask my sister to defeat that boss for me :)
    Now I find most in game "cartoony" spiders tolerable (otherwise I wouldn't be able to play Grounded). IRL I also tolerate small spiders well, but I still don't like those large ones so I try to keep my distance from them.

17. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

LOL yeah, that was nuts. I was not trying to ignore the spiders because I was scared of them. Just that I was ill equipped. ;) Later on we figured out how to cheese them from inside the analyzer tent. Definitely a teamwork kind of game.

Tommy McClain

TheAlSpark likes this.
  18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

at the right angles, the spiders won't be able to stop your fisting abilities.

AzBat likes this.
  19. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

That's because I had no resources to build anything. A lot of someone elses hogged everything. I couldn't even build a second ax, and never got beyond that level of building.

20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

pretty interesting feedback , about 2 months ago they did a survey about different levels of realism in games using very low quality spider models that were 3 cricles with block like legs all the way to highly detailed. I am assuming its this game they did it for