Great Saturn games

Fox5

Veteran
Sonic, just curious, could you name 10 excellent Saturn games.....that were released in the US? To me that was the one main problem with the saturn and why I never picked it up....there were a bunch of good games, but very few good games made it to the US, especially in mass production.

Keep in my that this is all my opinion and others may disagree, but here is a sample.

Fighters Megamix - I would count the two games that primarily make up this game but this was a standalone and offers enough gameplay for hours of mindless fighting action.

Panzer Dragoon Series - covers, PD1, PD2, and PDS

NiGHTS: Into Dreams - the defining game fo the Saturn and packed in with the analog pad made this game so beautiful. It is very short level wise but has enough replay value to keep anyone coming back for more.

Legend of Oasis - sequel to Beyond Oasis on the Genesis. This game I pick up again at least once a year or two and make my way through it. It is compelling enough and has enough fighting. I am sad that there isn't another game in the series.

Shining Force 3 Episode 1 - This game made it to the US at the very last minute yet it is still a very good streategy RPG that will immerse you into the action.

Dragon Force - This was a nice RPG that allowed you to conquer neighboring kingdoms through battle primarily. This is one of the few games that people who own Saturns try to get any chance that they can.

Burning Rangers - This game was perhaps another standout title like NiGHTS was. Sonic Team made both games and this one was amazing.

Saturn Bomberman - up to 10 people can play at once. Tons of levels, ton of replay. Best Bomberman around.

World Series Baseball '98 - best baseball game of the last generation

Sonic R - this Sonic game wasn't a true sequel but it was more of a racing game. Ok, it was a racing game but it had awesome graphics at the time and was a special treat on the Saturn. I am a Sonic nut so it should serve well that I put some Sonic game in there.

There are tons others and if you would really like some more in depth opinions then you should jump over to alwaysgame.com and ask the guys there what their favorites are. That is the old DCTP forum and was turned into it. The guys there are some of the most dedicated gamers I know and still most of em support SEGA. That's besides the point.

Panzer Dragoon 1 was available for PC.

Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga were extremely limited releases, they might as well not even have existed.

Sonic R was also available for pc, it did not have awesome graphics for the time(awesome for saturn maybe, but psx had already done stuff better, and I think n64 was out by then), and it's ok, especially for a sonic nut, but horribly inbalanced and not all that fun...music is both annoying and catchy. Wasn't made by sonic team. Even though I liked the whole thing of keeping the characters as mascots with their powers, it wasn't really a worthy competitor to mario kart.

And that's all I can say about the list.....should include nights christmas edition with nights into dreams. Fighters Megamix I could say that virtua fighter 1 and 2 and last bronx were on pc and were similar games(maybe not last bronx), but fighters megamix was very different from them.

It's a problem I had with the dreamcast's online library, and a lot of xbox games, many of the best games have better or equal versions available for pc, I've always been a big pc nerd so if something is available for a pc and console, I'll tend to hunt down the pc version.

Well fox5 thank you for taking the time to come on and shit on sega products.

Back to topic

Bug , clockwork knight , Mr bones , world wide soccer , then a bunch of 2d fighters . Virtual cop , virtual fighter remix and 2 ... hmm gotta go into storage and look at my collection to name more . Oh this goes with sonics list too

Woah, did I start a new thread for this? I thought I was responding within a thread, must have accidently hit new thread by accident.

Anyhow, genesis was great, dreamcast was great, I just feel saturn was a little weak, even as far as first party sega games go. Too many games were arcade or Japan only....well mostly Japan only, saturn was pretty much the system for arcade ports at the time.

deathtank and bomberman s remain THE reasons for owning a saturn. nothing compares to them, even now.

sonic R for the pc wasn't exactly superior, either. even with a good controller it's controll was flawed compared to the saturn (and the saturn version had pretty piss poor control), and the water was much nicer looking on the saturn. the only thing sonic R pc had over the saturn release was perspective correction and resolution.

for it's time that saturn had a nice collection of RPG's, and very competant ports of virtua cop 1/2. not to mention great 2d games like 3 dirty dwarves, gardian heros, and astal.
c:

I tried not to include arcade ports but the majority of them converted by SEGA were great. Also, I included original games on the Saturn despite some of them having a PC counterpart. Panzer Dragoon is much better played on the Saturn or even the Xbox over the PC counterpart.

I started this thread so the other person's thread owuld remain on topic. Fox5 asked me to name some games and I went ahead and did that. I still stand by that the Saturn had a slew of excellent games but not many gave them a chance. I do recall Ultra GP naming the Saturn as their favorite system back in the day.

I enjoyed my PSX quite a bit also overall as it has many great memories also.

Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes are ace btw.

I almost bought a saturn....I was originally divided between it or waiting for an n64, but sega never released a true sonic game for saturn so I decided I could wait.
I never thought I'd end up owning a psx instead. Of course, if I had found a saturn for $20 at the time I got the psx. It was early 1999, only got it because I had bleem for pc, which was the reason for me getting my first 3d accelerator, and I really wanted to be able to play metal gear solid and xenogears. PSX mostly served as a way to play the games where the emulators didn't work.
Strange though, I don't really find that many psx games worth owning either, I had ff7 for pc, and the only psx games I can recall as really good are mgs, xenogears, and twisted metal 2. Oh, and syphon filter 2 was fun for multiplayer. It was really more the lack of availability for most of the games, the lack of availability of the saturn, and the fact that the system was dieing that kept me from owning it. The last chance I had was in 1998, I think for $50 or $100 used, I didn't really have the money at the time, I think I bought some n64 games instead since I always figured I could get the saturn later. Strangely enough, later (not sure if it was early 1999 or late 1998) I was able to buy a brand new 32x for $20, and its games for like $5 or $10 a piece, but never got virtua fighter, which is what I really wanted for it.(I already knew knuckles chaotix sucked, but I bought it anyway just for being a sonic game...sort of...and I played it a lot since it was at least a decent game, showed off the 2d power of the system, but seemed to lack the artistic beauty, level design, and just fun gameplay and bosses of the previous 2d sonics)

Sonic said:
Legend of Oasis - sequel to Beyond Oasis on the Genesis. This game I pick up again at least once a year or two and make my way through it. It is compelling enough and has enough fighting. I am sad that there isn't another game in the series.

Hell yeah. Those games were awesome, Story of Thor serie (a.k.a Beyond Oasis (european name)) was the Sega Zelda.
Ancient (Beyond Oasis developers) did develop lately Amazing island, a monster games on GC...
Sometimes i wonder how Sega with such wonderfull IP couldn't produce (good) sequels to thoses games. (Same with Burning Ranger, Nights...)

Sonic said:
Sonic R - this Sonic game wasn't a true sequel but it was more of a racing
game. Ok, it was a racing game but it had awesome graphics at the time and was a special treat on the Saturn. I am a Sonic nut so it should serve well that I put some Sonic game in there.

I'll disagree on this one, Traveler tales (the dev) did a poor job with that game. It was some kind of a Sega anwser to Mario Kart 64... But traveler tales couldn't do it in time (short dev time).

About my list, i 'll pick Guardian Heroes (excellent beat them all from Treasure), Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force (superb), Albert odissey (Working Designs know how to do RPG), the Lunar serie, Grandia.

Saturn was also THE machine for shoot them up, with game such as Thunder Force V ( :!: ), the famous Radiant Silvergun (Treasure again), Dodonpachi, Soukyugurentai etc...

Sad that in europe so little games were released... Import is/was the only way to go with the saturn, Sega really improved that with the DC.

Thunder Force 5 was released on the PS1 as well.

And Travelers Tales sucks hard. I think they have made one good game out of 20.

bout my list, i 'll pick Guardian Heroes (excellent beat them all from Treasure), Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force (superb), Albert odissey (Working Designs know how to do RPG), the Lunar serie, Grandia.
maybe it's just me, but the dev's that could do no wrong in the past have been sliping hard lateley. working designs used to only translate/publish the cream of the crop, not so anymore. treasure used to be unstoppable, but recent treasure branded games (like stretch panic, yuck!) are garbage. recent rare stuff has been... lacking to say the least. even nintendo and sega aren't pushing out the quality, original stuff they used to. at least not in quantity. i'm just waiting for blizzard to make a turd...
maybe i'm just old.
c:

edit
I am still amazed by the Burning Rangers engine...It's incredible what it did on the little Saturn.
i'm hoping sega starts porting games like BR and nights to the DS or PSP. those games were fantastic even considering the technical limitations. as a matter of fact, i've had this longstanding love affair with portable systems. some games just turn out better when you are limited in what you can do graphicly and have to concentrate on gameplay. wich might be why some saturn titles turned out so sweet.

see colon said:
bout my list, i 'll pick Guardian Heroes (excellent beat them all from Treasure), Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force (superb), Albert odissey (Working Designs know how to do RPG), the Lunar serie, Grandia.
maybe it's just me, but the dev's that could do no wrong in the past have been sliping hard lateley. working designs used to only translate/publish the cream of the crop, not so anymore. treasure used to be unstoppable, but recent treasure branded games (like stretch panic, yuck!) are garbage. recent rare stuff has been... lacking to say the least. even nintendo and sega aren't pushing out the quality, original stuff they used to. at least not in quantity. i'm just waiting for blizzard to make a turd...
maybe i'm just old.
c:

edit
I am still amazed by the Burning Rangers engine...It's incredible what it did on the little Saturn.
i'm hoping sega starts porting games like BR and nights to the DS or PSP. those games were fantastic even considering the technical limitations. as a matter of fact, i've had this longstanding love affair with portable systems. some games just turn out better when you are limited in what you can do graphicly and have to concentrate on gameplay. wich might be why some saturn titles turned out so sweet.

Oh come on, rare hasn't been that bad. Maybe grabbed by the ghoulies is, but their gameboy stuff is the same as always, and starfox adventures isn't worst then their worst n64 game, and conker looks quite good.(now they just need to remake perfect dark, even if rare has no talent left, they can at least do remakes forever)
As for blizzard...kind of hard to make a turd when you never try anything new. Seriously, blizzard has done nothing new since starcraft, diablo 2 was just diablo with more, diablo 2 expansion was more for diablo 2, and warcraft 3 was starcraft with orcs and the story reversed. Haven't been following world of warcraft lately, but is it just a generic mmorpg with the warcraft license, or does it do something different, like guild wars(which is made by exblizzard people, as is goblin commander which was also kind of new)? And how about starcraft ghost? Is it tenchu or soul reaver with the starcraft licenese, or something new?(it's not made by blizzard anyhow though, so perhaps there is a chance for innovation)

Hey! Sonic X-treme huh? I have a few magazine articles on that that I made sure to keep when throwing out my old early 90s magazines. BTW, I heard elements of sonic x-treme, such as the boss battles, made it into sonic adventure. I couldn't imagine how to play sonic x-treme though, it looked so wierd, and I wasn't a fan of having the entire game in two tone tiles. Hmm, that Tiara B. reminds me of Coco Bandicoot.

And for the thing about River City Ransom(on the side bar).....in Japan river city ransom did have a sequel on the super famicom. Would be nice to see this guy's seqeul though.

Oh come on, rare hasn't been that bad. Maybe grabbed by the ghoulies is, but their gameboy stuff is the same as always, and starfox adventures isn't worst then their worst n64 game, and conker looks quite good.(now they just need to remake perfect dark, even if rare has no talent left, they can at least do remakes forever)
and that's the problem. there was a time when rare's stuff was noticibly good, now it's just "not bad".
c:

Back