GRAW2 causes 3 red lights of death ?..

JardeL

Regular
I dont know if it is posted , searched but didn't find anything... According to " Ubisoft Forums' users " GRAW 2 freezes X360s and causes 3 red lights ... Ubisoft Community Manager's post ;
Hi everyone. The devs are aware of the issue and we are asking that you contact our Technical Support department, who is now gathering as much information as possible to find out what's going on.

Providing them with info on any issue you may have personally experienced will help us to replicate the problem and find a resolution.

Thanks.
[ http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3291043913/m/5021011345/p/1 ] ...

Some posts ;
This has happened to me AND my friend and MANY, MANY more it seems...we both started playin GRAW2 the day it was released and it worked fine for a few days (playing for a couple of hours a day) then it started to freeze on both SP and MP games.

It gradually got worse and then the 3 red lights appeared!
Same **** happened to me 2 days ago. I ended up with 3 red lights. DEAD XBOX. At least its under warranty, MS is fixing it right now.
Same problem i had... Got the game first 5 mins of the game started the training missions... Sudddenly My video Fliped out and my 360 Red Lighted... and I had to RMA my 360 just got it back today.
Interesting ...

I dont know if it is posted , searched but didn't find anything... According to " Ubisoft Forums' users " GRAW 2 freezes X360s and causes 3 red lights ... Ubisoft Community Manager's post ;
[ http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3291043913/m/5021011345/p/1 ] ...

Some posts ;
Interesting ...
It sounds like there's a freezing issue (note that the thread title that the mod is replying in does not say "and causes 3 red lights"). The hardware failure is just a hardware failure, coincidentally tied to playing a new game.

Are the reports in the main (ignoring the worst-case 3-light that may be a coincidence) of machines getting trashed (all getting red lights), or just locking up on this particular game and being to be reset?

If these guys are sincere, there are two and a half possible scenarios.
1)Graw 2 is a particularly stressful load for the machine. It freezes because the machines in question are on the edge of stability anyway and Graw 2 pushes them too far.
2)Graw 2 is a buggy pos and freezes just due to a bug in the code.
2b)Same as 2, but being "frozen" happens to be a particularly stressful state for the machine that accelerates the looming break-down of "weak" machines.

If these guys are sincere, there are two and a half possible scenarios.
1)Graw 2 is a particularly stressful load for the machine. It freezes because the machines in question are on the edge of stability anyway and Graw 2 pushes them too far.
2)Graw 2 is a buggy pos and freezes just due to a bug in the code.
2b)Same as 2, but being "frozen" happens to be a particularly stressful state for the machine that accelerates the looming break-down of "weak" machines.
It's #2. Oblivion had freezes as well. We've heard #1 with every single big game release (ie, "Crackdown breaks 360s?" or "Dead Rising breaks 360s?" etc.)

Most of the permanent 3-lights of death are due to solder cracks on the 360 mainboard, due to IMHO, shoddy production process, shoddy engineering, or both (not to mention using cheap ass solder). I've had multiple 360s die from this, and it seems to occur when games really push the entire 360 system, and you play for along time, you'll get cracks from themal expansion/contraction. In fact, despite having massive cooling directed at my 360, it still occurs, may even making it worse.

The last time my 360 broke, I got sick of sending it in and decided to just fix it myself. I temporarily fixed it with a heat gun, but the problem returned, then I got an EE buddy of mine who is way more surgical and pro with soldering to find and fix the problems, and it's been good to go since then.

2 weeks ago I went to turn on my PS3 to play a movie and it wouldn't read any disks. *fsck!* another broken console. Then I picked it up and heard stuff jingling around inside. My 2 year old son had inserted quarters, nickels, and other coins into the BD slot! Shit, Sony isn't going to cover this under warranty, so I resigned to see what could be done myself.

I opened it up...man oh man.. this thing looks sweet inside. Case engineering, screw placement, cable management, circuit layout. Much much nicer looking than XB360 which looks like it was designed by some chop-shop Selectron/Flextronics amateurs. I removed the BD drive, opened it up, got the coins out, hoped that the coins did not short anything out when it was turned on, reassembled, and prayed.

And it worked...Phew.

I think if the PS3 is going to have any heat related failures, we will see soon from F@H. Although, the GPU isn't engaged much in that.

Then I picked it up and heard stuff jingling around inside. My 2 year old son had inserted quarters, nickels, and other coins into the BD slot! Shit, Sony isn't going to cover this under warranty, so I resigned to see what could be done myself.

Ok, thanks for the warning, the PS3 is now placed a tad higher from the allready cannot reach position it was in.. That leaves the Amiga 1000 and 2000 for the kid to play with (he found an old Kickstart disc :))

Ok, thanks for the warning, the PS3 is now placed a tad higher from the allready cannot reach position it was in.. That leaves the Amiga 1000 and 2000 for the kid to play with (he found an old Kickstart disc :))

Amiga 1000!!!!!! what a relic, you realize that thing is 22 years old now?

I opened it up...man oh man.. this thing looks sweet inside. Case engineering, screw placement, cable management, circuit layout.
Have you seen the EU PS3 mobo's? Even cleaner! It's really nicely engineered product. Things like that add to the cost but go unappreciated. Sony can't really advertise 'Though we're $200 more than an XB360, we have this really sweet layout and construction'!

Have you seen the EU PS3 mobo's? Even cleaner! It's really nicely engineered product. Things like that add to the cost but go unappreciated. Sony can't really advertise 'Though we're $200 more than an XB360, we have this really sweet layout and construction'!

It should be a better advertising than the "it is leaving" crap :devilish:

2 weeks ago I went to turn on my PS3 to play a movie and it wouldn't read any disks. *fsck!* another broken console. Then I picked it up and heard stuff jingling around inside. My 2 year old son had inserted quarters, nickels, and other coins into the BD slot!

Don't rule out the wife as a suspect! :devilish:

Most of the permanent 3-lights of death are due to solder cracks on the 360 mainboard, due to IMHO, shoddy production process, shoddy engineering, or both (not to mention using cheap ass solder). I've had multiple 360s die from this, and it seems to occur when games really push the entire 360 system, and you play for along time, you'll get cracks from themal expansion/contraction. In fact, despite having massive cooling directed at my 360, it still occurs, may even making it worse.
And typically you play for a long time with a newly released game, which is why these always come up when a new, popular game is released.

Hey Demo, are there environmental effects that may bother the solder (such as humidity or overly dry, dust, etc)? You would think the soldering issue would come up in stress testing, or be a trivial fix post-release. I don't understand why we're still seeing this issue this long after release.

I don't understand why we're still seeing this issue this long after release.

Maybe Microsoft ordered manufaction of 10mil consoles, and they cannot change the production process now. ;)

How much more would it cost Microsoft to make better consoles [new materials, maybe chage of build process]???

Maybe Microsoft ordered manufaction of 10mil consoles, and they cannot change the production process now. ;)

How much more would it cost Microsoft to make better consoles [new materials, maybe chage of build process]???

Maybe the l33t - or all internals sans hdmi - will replace the old form. I am curious as to how the mobo has been redesigned because surely they changed it.

The last time my 360 broke, I got sick of sending it in and decided to just fix it myself. I temporarily fixed it with a heat gun, but the problem returned, then I got an EE buddy of mine who is way more surgical and pro with soldering to find and fix the problems, and it's been good to go since then.

2 weeks ago I went to turn on my PS3 to play a movie and it wouldn't read any disks. *fsck!* another broken console. Then I picked it up and heard stuff jingling around inside. My 2 year old son had inserted quarters, nickels, and other coins into the BD slot! Shit, Sony isn't going to cover this under warranty, so I resigned to see what could be done myself.

I opened it up...man oh man.. this thing looks sweet inside. Case engineering, screw placement, cable management, circuit layout. Much much nicer looking than XB360 which looks like it was designed by some chop-shop Selectron/Flextronics amateurs. I removed the BD drive, opened it up, got the coins out, hoped that the coins did not short anything out when it was turned on, reassembled, and prayed.

And it worked...Phew.

I think if the PS3 is going to have any heat related failures, we will see soon from F@H. Although, the GPU isn't engaged much in that.

Wow interesting. My company also contracts out to Flextronics/Solectron and their engineering, building, etc is very average, not saying that is the cause for the 360's failures. It sure looks like Sony flexed its muscle when designing the PS3 as they are a hardware company and the result is nicely designed and built unit.

2 weeks ago I went to turn on my PS3 to play a movie and it wouldn't read any disks. *fsck!* another broken console. Then I picked it up and heard stuff jingling around inside. My 2 year old son had inserted quarters, nickels, and other coins into the BD slot! Shit ...

:LOL: The same thing happened to my DVD and old VHS players... I stand my PS3 partially hidden behind the monitor, and there are other gadgets around it (like laptops, iPod, PSP, cellphone), so my kid doesn't really pay attention to the black mass. He knows how to plug my USB token into the PS3 that's all. Since the power button is not lit up, he also doesn't go for it. OTOH, my laptop keeps getting powered down because of the cool Blue-light power button.

Back