Grape + Microwave = fireball

KimB

Legend
Just thought some of you people out there might find this a little fun :)

This is a little something I learned from another physics student back when I was an undergrad, and have tried it in a number of different microwaves. Anyway, here's the trick:

1. Cut a grape in half.
2. Place the two halves flat-side down touching one another in the microwave (I place them on a paper towel so as not to cause any permanent stains).
3. Turn microwave on for 10-15 seconds.

You should see a flame erupt at the point that the two halves of the grape are touching. The size of the flame will depend upon the microwave and the size of the grape (smaller grapes seem to do better in my experience). In microwaves with rotating tables, the flame will tend to appear and disappear depending upon the orientation and location of the grape halves.

The most fun, though, comes when you have a microwave with no rotating table. In these, though it can be more difficult to get any flame at all, when you do get a flame it'll remain there for longer. If you're lucky, portions of the flame will start disconnecting, causing the two grape halves to shoot little fireballs towards the ceiling of the microwave.

This one is a little more tricky, but fun as well.

you need
1) a gas in a glass envelope, that can be easily ionized ( for example )
2) a microwave

result:
210a1da.jpg

My favourite one for entertaining students is to take a standard household filament bulb and put in into a container of water, such that only the metal cap rests in the water. Put the whole lot in the microwave, switch on and voila! On cometh the bulb...eth...

Generally good physics tomfoolery with microwaves can be found at:

http://apache.airnet.com.au/~fastinfo/microwave/

The fluorescent tube demo is a little tricky and potentially quite risky but even more fun to watch than the filament bulb. And speaking of fluorescent tubes - try holding one vertically underneath overhead pylons in the dark....zzzziiink! Just make the tube has connections at both ends, and not just on one.

Chalnoth said:
You should see a flame erupt at the point that the two halves of the grape are touching.
Is it because of the ethereal oil in the peel catching fire for some reason? Or if not, then what exactly drives the flame, and how does it ignite?

Very interesting... I only heard about making eggs explode in microwave ovens, cool to see other food behave weirdly too. :)

Guden Oden said:
Is it because of the ethereal oil in the peel catching fire for some reason? Or if not, then what exactly drives the flame, and how does it ignite?

Very interesting... I only heard about making eggs explode in microwave ovens, cool to see other food behave weirdly too. :)

Probably a plasma.

Yeah it is definitely a plasma, you can do it with a match tha you blow out in a glass bowl, the soke makes a plasma ball as well.

Guden Oden said:
I don't know, it might not actually be the grape, but the air between the grape. But either way I'm sure it has something to do with the specific geometry of the grape, and the standing wave of electromagnetic waves in the microwave oven that force an electric current between the two halves, forcing either part of the grape or just the air between the two halves to ionize and become plasma.

You should try plugging a pickle into a wall.

(Cut the end off an extension cord, attach a nail to each of the two leands, and insert the nails into the opposite ends of the pickle...)

Pickle light bulb! :)

Chalnoth said:
Yeah, those are sparkly....but seeing a grape shoot fireballs is way cool :)

Which set of chemicals, liquid or herbal, inspired this experiment? :LOL:

Back