Gran Turismo Hard Ditherig

Is it me and my screens or are there some unresolved issues in the Latest GT:HD build that make the engine resolve to a massive amount of dithering when vegetation is involved?

your ideas
I noticed that too. At first I didn't know if it was JPEGing or not, as it didn't seem uniform. But the JPEG compression is low going by filesize. Probably lots of possible reasons, none of which I can think of!

Since only the alpha blended vegetation shows it, it's a pretty safe bet they are using alpha to coverage AA for the vegetation - hence dithering.

Since only the alpha blended vegetation shows it, it's a pretty safe bet they are using alpha to coverage AA for the vegetation - hence dithering.

Hooray for screen door transparency! Did I ever mention that some systems could do true sorting of translucency? :devilish:

BTW Nice Lotus in the first shot.

I think they are just using GT4 assets now at 1080p? In any case, I think Sony just wanted a GT to come out early on in PS3's life.

I think they are just using GT4 assets now at 1080p? In any case, I think Sony just wanted a GT to come out early on in PS3's life.

Yes. I don't understand why people expect so much from the graphics. It's just GT4 with a new coat of wax.

And I'm not sure if they were motivated by wanting to have a GT game, or having already promised to deliver an online GT4 and not followed through with it.

Yes. I don't understand why people expect so much from the graphics. It's just GT4 with a new coat of wax.

And I'm not sure if they were motivated by wanting to have a GT game, or having already promised to deliver an online GT4 and not followed through with it.

I thought Japan got an online version? If they didn't then I can see why.

What is dithering?

Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (color quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette. The human eye perceives the diffusion as a mixture of the colors within it (see color vision). Dithering is analogous to the halftone technique used in printing. Dithered images, particularly those with relatively few colors, can often be distinguished by a characteristic graininess, or speckled appearance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering

some AA couldn't have hurt. otherwise, those shots that have proper reflection maps look GT4 good. those which don't (mainly the 'studio' shots) - well, forza dejavu. overall though, i don't see much impovement over the original GT4 lighting model. which is nothing necesserily bad, of course.

still another thing that seems to be noticeable from those shots - absolutely no fat fillrate fx - no fog, smoke, dust - nothing. welcome to the hi definition era.

Last edited by a moderator:
PGR3 had a similar effect applied to it's chainlink fences. I think it was probably done to make the motion blur effects better. Maybe GT:HD is missing motion blur at the moment.

That screen looked so much more impressive at small resolution, at full res it really is pretty ugly and the phot background sticks out like sore thumb.

That screen looked so much more impressive at small resolution, at full res it really is pretty ugly and the phot background sticks out like sore thumb.

I'm thinking there is no AA at this point, and I don't quite see where the dithering comes from. Framegrabbing at this point may be problematic, for one. But this is a game that you have to see in motion, and when it moves, that alone may solve a lot of the visual problems. But very clearly, this is not yet finished (Premium part less so than the Classic part, obviously).

However, I don't believe that the backgrounds are actually photo backgrounds like you claim them to be. The mountains start far too close to the track at times for that to be photo backgrounds. Perhaps the ones in the far distance, but not the ones closer by. The real question is how much of those mountains is texture, and how much is rendered real-time.

I'm thinking there is no AA at this point
Well..if you're running at 108p maybe AA becomes a problem..
and I don't quite see where the dithering comes from
This was already answered, they use alpha to coverage to simualate transparency.
This way you don't need to sort and blend your transparent stuff (and with AA can even
buy you real transparency ;) )

Marco

However, I don't believe that the backgrounds are actually photo backgrounds like you claim them to be. The mountains start far too close to the track at times for that to be photo backgrounds. Perhaps the ones in the far distance, but not the ones closer by. The real question is how much of those mountains is texture, and how much is rendered real-time.

Nope, the mountains are definitely polys+textures, not just a simple photo-background. Just look at the edge of the mountain in the front in this pic

I dare say that though they have some 3D geometry, this is basically as a base for a photo to be stuck on. I seriously doubt they're shading and lighting polygons to look that much like snow covered rocky mountains! Perhaps they should be classed as a 3D photo backdrop rather than 2D or straight photo backdrop?

Back