Gradient shadow mapping

inlimbo

Newcomer
i don't know if's an accurate term, but i'm talking shadow maps with brightness falloff or a mixture of differently graded shadows in one scene. in my experience with games that use real-time shadow solutions, it's either single toned shadow maps plus fogging over an entire scene or single toned shadow maps over prebaked occlusion.

i guess crysis 2 uses a completely real-time solution of the latter, but it's still missing the variety of contrast in something like half-life 2. shouldn't we be able to approach something like hl2 with no precomputation by using a mixture of different shadow maps, even if they need to be considerably low res. i realize half-life 2's light map generator simulates light bouncing to great effect and the game benefits from sheer lighting design that other games might lack, but i would think it would be possible to simulate radiosity with no Enlighten-like prepass.

dead space 2 has some neat and dramatic lighting, but even it is fairly even toned.

There are a lot of different methods for realtime and static lighting and how they combine for a lighting and shadow solution. I think you need to look at them one at a time and see how they work. The term you are probably looking for is penumbra

penumbra's just one aspect of shadow volume. i'm more concerned with simulating the whole spectrum, as global illumination does, but in true real-time and with enough contrast to get pleasing results (not necessarily accurate ones). it should be possible with a mix of shadow maps even if it's partially artist controlled

Back