GPU Turbo = death of overclocking efficiency?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. gongo

Regular

Pardon me guys...as i pour through information and research on my new 7970 >1Ghz edition...i like to touch on GPU turbo...a feature that will become the norm next gen imo...something which i have ill feelings too....

Noted both AMD and Nvidia offer it...in which every turbo boost steps, the vddc will increase with it..there is a base clock and a turbo clock, and you overclock the turbo clock only...now i do that with my Intel CPU and it works great..with vcore offset, but for GPU turbo it feels totally constricting and kind of kills the silicon lottery feel...i assume AMD and Nvidia will both use the worst case ASIC vddc..and with no control in vcore offset, only TDP limit, every Turbo overclock will increase the inefficiency no matter how good your GPU ASIC is...?

As an GPU overclocker, i play games at most 4hrs at one go and i dont play every type of games....but now i have to live with the worst case settings...:(

2. lanek

Veteran

For Nvidia 600 series, this is sadly the case, as you dont have anymore access to voltage control, and max overclock is fixed. ( ofc untill you hardmod the card or have a bios who allow it )

For AMD HD7900 series ( or 7970Ghz - 7950). It dont change anything for overclocking. Turbo or not, overclocking work the same way it have allways work.

2x 7970 flashed with 7970 Ghz bios .
    MSI AB
    [​IMG]
    Trixxx ( i use trixxx most of the time, as it allow more more voltage capacity with 1381mv max )
    [​IMG]

On next AMD cards, i believe the "Turbo" will be supported differently in the settings, maybe by allowing having control of the offset directly and why not 2 voltages level.

#2 lanek, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  3. Davros

Legend

Thats ok for you but many play games for much longer, can you not disable/overide it ?

4. gongo

Regular

Could be wrong...but AMD turbo mode causes...

1. stock VID to raise from 1.12v/1.17v to 1.21v
    2. base clock cannot be touched...heard THG ran into some problems with stuck clocks and PT adjusting the base clock...not sure why one would
    3. newer South Isle boards are volt mod locked

Worst case scenario...for 100% stability across all cards with higher working clocks...fine for average users except the gpu overclockers..

5. lanek

Veteran

I will need to check more, but on my experience, for high overclock ( benchmarking ) .. When i set 1350mhz, it is like if i disable turbo boost.

it change absolutely nothing for my overclocking... Its exactly like if i set the base clock speed ( im not even sure there's a difference in this case. or if there's really 2 Pstate modes).

- I set the voltage ( 1300mv )
    - I set the core speed to 1300mhz
    - I remove TDP limit the same way i was doing it on the 7970 "standard"
    - DTE allow me even higher clock speed it seems, as my card work with low temperature ( H2o ) and so the tdp limit is increased.

ofc, i disable ULPS in cfx ( needed for OC both cards, you dont want the second card in sleep mode when you apply voltage change ) .

For me, there's not really 2 clock speed..

I have not really watch, but i dont see what cards have not control voltage, untill thoses are thoses v2 cards like HIS had released for the 5850 or 6870 who was cheaper cards and effectively some had no control voltage reading. ( different pcb with different sensor ). I doubt the Asus 7970 Platinum have no voltage control.

( you can still edit directly the ATI Ace/profile xml and put whatever voltage you want for each pstate without use a 3th party software )

6. gongo

Regular

I guess...wanted to say that the Ghz edition is not a good buy....more expensive....more vddc...but conservatively clocked ..AMD probably starts binning chips for GE..leaving the non GE with 50~60% ASIC quality....and all this because they too jumped on the Turbo wagon.....