GPU intensive games

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I´ve been bit out of the loop for many months because I have had a retro amiga project to think of... but now I´m getting back to pc gaming a bit and decided to make a silly upgrade to my pc too.

What games I should consider buying to get the most out of my graphics card?
I did get Battlefield 3 and its okay... also got Diablo 3 but I think my machine is overkill for that one.

I just did the upgrade from gtx580 to gtx680 DCII. Now I think I should be able to run most games in 2560x1600... Did a bit of a benchmark too:
http://3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/3688874/3dm11/3433575
(the cpu speed is reported wrongly in the 580 result, look at the cpu intensive physics test score, its not slower there)

So what games do you reckon have the absolutely most stunning graphics, technically and artistically? I´d like to put something in my shopping cart to enjoy the new superpowers of my pc :)

Hurm... With the most recent patches and your fairly brutish CPU speed (.8GHz faster than my rig), Skyrim with everything on max should be a decent test. Crysis 2 as well, methinks. Just avoid any of the craziliy overtesselated areas (IE, brick walls, concrete road barriers and so on... :p). How about the new Syndicate (assuming you don't mind being forced to install Origin, that is)? I don't know how PC-optimized that game is, or if it's just a pissy DX9-based console port. I have a lot of respect for Starbreeze Studios, but with EA ultimately calling the shots you never know.

Oooh, I think I even have metro already, bought it when it was going for 2,50 or so. Just didn´t install it yet and now I´ve forgotten about it :) So I guess I should give it a shot.

Skyrim maxed out doesn't look that good and isn't a GPU-intensive game at all (a GTX570 + >3GHz SandyBridge will do +100FPS using the latest oficial patch).

Skyrim with a dozen of IQ mods.. that's a whole other story and you'll be baffled with what the game can do. The most popular mods for high-resolution textures, high-polygon models, a decent FXAA injector for realistic lighting (one that doesn't blur everything) and and ENBSeries-based shader mod are absolutely mandatory to play that game in full glory. And to decently tax the GPU.

As mentioned by Davros try Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition (Ubersampling mode will bring down any single card setup on market :D)

I've heard Shogun 2 is also quite demanding in GPU department.

Running old games with "8xSS" mode (4x supersampling, 2x multisampling) or 3x3 supersampling if it's still available. It's like rendering in 7680 per 4800 and scaling down (if the vid card isn't limited to 4096 pixel in one direction or something). I could run the old Mafia this way in 1024x768 (gt 240 gddr5), take stuff you loved at the time and play it at bullshot quality.

Keplar absolutely sucks at 2560x1600.....

Sell it and buy a couple of 7950's and run Crossfire...

They have enough power to run ANY game at 2560x1600 maxed out with 4xMSAA+4xTrSSAA

Back