GPU hardware acceleration kinda sucks!

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gongo

Regular

Tried the new IE9 and FF4...i was hoping their hardware acceleration will help my browsing experience...what i found was turning this feature on made ma Cayman ProXT clocks go all over the place....heats up the GPU and causing the fan to sped up......noisy and i reckon more wasted electricity for the few second sped up.....not what i wanted...(FF4 messed up hardware text rendering was... a killer!)

I have known the Flash accelerated bug where it would lock AMD GPU at UVD clocks even with a 3D game running (like WTF!)... but these are new generation browsers.. so when can i see GPU acceleration acts more efficiently....like do i need a gigahertz of 1600 parallel processors and 160GB/s of bandwidth shifting 2D pictures? Do we?

Where does the fault lies? DD2D/D3D/WebGL/Catalyst/Cayman arch??

2. rpg.314

Veteran

I would guess the drivers. IMO, the driver teams haven't had much experience with these browsers so far, which is why these power issues crop up.

3. Davros

Legend

whats wrong with your browsing experience ?

4. hoom

Veteran

Has anyone heard even a rumor about when this might get fixed?
    Its really pissing me off.

Had to disable Hardware Acceleration. Not that I'm short of CPUs to run Flash on but its really a ridiculous situation for my browser to hobble my gaming experience.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I've understood that this is a decision they've made, rather than bug. But I'd hope they switch that to 3D>UVD, too.

--

As for IE9 at least, I've few beta & rc builds of it, as well as the retail-build I'm using right now, and my HD6870 is sitting happily at idle clocks in general, h.264 etc videos of course kick in UVD clocks, though, and this demo: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Graphics/GraphicsAccelebration/Default.xhtml kicks in some strange clocks I've never seen, 775/1050MHz (HD6870 defaults at 900/1050)

6. gongo

Regular

Nothing bad but hardware acceleration is...s'posed to bring more to the table...sure it can render this http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/ at 60fps vs 10fps....but the implementation is not invisible atm....too much crazy clock swings...too much inefficiencies ongoing.

I bet a tiny pvr_arm chip can accelerate as fast as a 2.6b trannies Cayman.... its catering more to the low powered netbooks/tablets/phones...imho.

Then lest we forgot....more and more of PC are running 3ghz quads....how much of this gpu acceleration can be shifted back to the cpu....these modern browsers are hardly taxing for multithreading (see taskmgr)...the whole point of hardware acceleration....not selling it for me.

7. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

For some reason, hardware acceleration won't work for me in FF4 final. I have to force it on in about:config. I don't see a big reason to use it on a machine with a fast CPU like I have anyway. I have less video memory than system memory, so I'll stay with non hw accelerated browsing until I start using web applications where hw acceleration is needed.

8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That mozilla hwaccel test resulted 60FPS+ on IE9, HD6870 stayed on idle clocks during it.

9. Broken Hope

Regular

I have the stupid flash acceleration getting the GPU stuck at UVD clocks and now with hardware acceleration for browsers I also get the GPU getting stuck at 3D clocks for no reason, so have to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.

AMD really need to fix their clock switching, it's embarrassing, no program should be able to break the driver and lock the GPU in a clock state.

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Hmm, it seems okay on my unlocked 6950. I get momentary blips as the clocks go up when I open windows or stuff like that, but generally it drops back down before the temperature or fans change. There seem to be several clock positions for both the GPU and memory that go up and down depending what's going on in the browser.

11. Man from Atlantis

Regular

how can i disable gpu hardware acceleration :oops:

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

For IE9, it's the first thing in Internet Options > Advanced tab, "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

13. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I get a 60+ fps result with firefox 3.6.13 on an ubuntu 10.04 derivate?
    I don't understand what's going on.
    result with Arora 10.2 (an unmaintained lightweight browser based on webkit) is 2 fps.

14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Tools -> options -> advanced -> use hardware acceleration when available.